DVD Burner (GSA-H30L) Doesn't Read Any CDs

My GSA-H30L no longer reads any cd’s and only reads a few dvds. I’ve had the problem for a few months now and a month ago I reformatted my hard drive in an attempt to to fix the problem with the dvd burner but it still doesn’t read cd’s and I tried to read a cd before I installed any software after the format and the drive failed to read the cd so I’m 99% sure its a hardware issue. Also, the dvd drive is recognized in the device manager. I’ve also tried firmware updates but no luck. Anyone know a way to fix this problem?

Maybe dirty lens? how long have you had it?

Over 2 years, I found my dads old “Cd Drive Cleaner” which is basically a cd with a little brush attached to the bottom but it didn’t help as far as I can tell.

If it’s just CD’s and not DVD’s then the CD laser is probably shot. If it’s both then i would say open it up and clean the lens if the warranty is up that is.

Different lasers for CD’s and DVD’s.

Oh okay thanks, any advice on what I should use to clean it?

I use a q-tip and just a little rubbing alcohol on it. Just enough to get it wet.

Just watch how it comes apart so you can put it back together. It’s easier that you think. Probably some guides here or on the net.

I had a Plextor 760A quit reading altogether and i took it apart and cleaned the lens and it works like new again.

It’s worth a try if you want to do it.

Ok, I’m going to try it right now, thanks for the advice.

I’m having a problem locating my cd and dvd lens. I took off the bottom of the drive case but I’m stuck on what to do now and also I can’t find anything on google…

It rides on those 2 rails. Should have a ribbon cable going to it.

I’m sorry, once I was able to take off the top of the cover I realized what a stupid question it was. Unfortunately, my dvd drive still doesn’t work but I’ll try it again later but use alcohol on the qtip like you suggested, I didn’t try it this time because I had read that the alcohol can damage your dvd drive if you use to much so I thought I should just try it without alcohol first and then use it later if it didn’t work. Thanks for your help tho.

[QUOTE=c0Ld;2114962]I’m sorry, once I was able to take off the top of the cover I realized what a stupid question it was. Unfortunately, my dvd drive still doesn’t work but I’ll try it again later but use alcohol on the qtip like you suggested, I didn’t try it this time because I had read that the alcohol can damage your dvd drive if you use to much so I thought I should just try it without alcohol first and then use it later if it didn’t work. Thanks for your help tho.[/QUOTE]Up to you. Rubbing alcohol is recommended since it leaves no residue. Like i said just enough to get the q-tip wet. Don’t let it get on anything else of course.