Dvd burner dissapears in "My Computer"!

I have LG multidrive burner that I just bought.

Used Nero Ultra Edition to burn my first DVD on DVD+R. Just data - decided to back up.
Burned fine (or so it seemed) at 4X

Put DVD back in - DVD burner dissapears in “my computer” and shows up as CD drive and does not want to open!

Made two expensive coasters so far.

What’s up? Anybody knows?

Thanks a lot!

Oh, and I run Windows XP, I used maxell dvd+r discs

Welcome to our forum unata,

Have you tried testing other brands of DVD media? When you say that your drive disappears you mean that instead of showing as DVD-Recorder in Windows, it changes to CD-ROM or whatever after inserting the disc? This is a common issue in Windows XP and not really a problem. When you say it does not want to open, do you mean you can’t eject the tray of the drive or you can’t access the contents of the disc (this gives you an error? which one?). It could be your Maxell discs don’t work very well with your LG drive and it has made a coaster. You can try two things: upgrade the firmware of your LG writer and/or try different brands of media. In OC-Freak’s review of the LG GSA-4040B multi drive you can find a lot of information on which media works well and which don’t.

Thanks a lot for a quick reply!

Yes, the dvd-ram icon that shows up in my computer changes to CD drive after I put in the disk. When I double-click on it, it says E:/ is not accessible. Incorrect function.

I can play video store DVDs fine on it and when burning disk from Nero it showed up that it was burned properly.

Where do I get the firmware? I spent about an hour on lg.ca site yesterday - could not even find a dvd-writer section, they just give you dvd-rom.

Thank you again.

unata ,

Well if you go in windows xp to device manager and go to dvd/cd rom devices and then type out what your LG drive really is then we can point you to the correct firmware. Firmware is specific to each drive .

Gio

Yep, indeed. Also, when you know your LG’s model number, don’t forget that CD Freaks also has a firmware section. You can find the LG’s firmware listing here.

This has hapened to me as well, and I believe it is a Windows XP issue.

As it stands right now, my windows explorer will not show me ANY files on ANY cd or dvd.

In Storage Management, the drive shows up, and when there is a disc in it, it corectly reports disc size. When I insert a CD, windows explorer calld the drive “CD Drive (D:)” and when I insert a dvd it calls it “DVD Drive (D:)” but when I click on the drive letter, there are never any files listed and it tells me to “please insert a disc”

I have up and downgraded firmware and even SWAPPED DRIVES. I have gone so far as to have two known working drives in at the same time, and they BOTH act the same way. I have removed and reinsttalled drives… I have even removed and reinstalled IDE controllers in the Device Manager.

As far as I can tell, I have seen this mentioned in only one other place than here on the entire internet (c;=

At any rate, I got tired of troubleshooting it… I think i’ll have to reinstall windows.

BTW in case anyone cares… my hardware config is as follows:

• ABIT IS7 system board (intel 865PE based)
  • Panasonic DVR-106
  • LiteOn LTD-163

[edited to disable smilies]

i have exactly the same problem. Just bought the LG drive yesterday (GSA-4040B).
My specs : windows XP PRO with latest updates and newest ASPI drivers, nero 6.0.
My first burn (the dvd ram disc that came with the drive -> maxell) was ok. Used nero 6.0 -> data disc ISO 1 no relaxed settings.
When i tried burning a TDK dvd+r, again same settings in nero, it burned successfully but windows XP cannot read it (e:/is not accessible. Incorrect funtion.) 5 discs wasted…
I then burned a dvdr- using UDF in NERO. Again burning successfull. Windows XP can perfectly read the disc. (brand = emtec).
5 discs burned ok.
Then onto a dvd+r from maxell using UDF in NERO -> windows XP cannot read it… same error as above…
strange thing is that nero (which uses it’s own ASPI driver) can perfectly read the DVDr+ and can even extract the disc content to my HD in an ISO.
I updated my firmware to version 301. No difference. I give up…
Does anybody know what’s wrong here ? Thnx !

This happens to me. I have a DVD-Recorder in Windows, it changes to CD-ROM or CD-Drive after inserting the disc. I have tried upgrading firmware and using different media, I know my hardware isn’t defective because my bundled software which can burn data discs can and does recognize my blank cd/dvds. Help please help.

I have an Iomega Super DVD USB all format.

Please helppp

Hey, guys… try switching out your secondary CD-ROMs. By that, I mean, take out the IDE cable to any other CD-ROM device that is attached to the same IDE channel that your CD-RW or DVD-RW drive is on. I was having the same issues and set my DVD-RW drive (a Sony DRU-530A) as the only device on the secondary IDE channel, and now it works perfectly. A little bizarre, but it works!

:slight_smile:

REGARDING “INCORRECT FUNTION” ERROR:
HERE IS THE SOLUTION I FINALLY FINALLY GOT.
I HAD UNINSTALLED THE CD BURNING SOFTWARE,
AND UNINSTALLED THE DRIVERS FOR IT,
BUT THE THING I FORGOT TO DO THAT FINALLY WORKED FOR ME
WAS TO COMPLETELY UNINSTALL THE CD BURNING SOFTWARE - THERE WERE 3 DIFFERENT PARTS OF IT IN ADD/REMOVE SOFTWARE. THE ONE I FORGOT TO UNINSTALL WAS CALLED “IN CD” SO I UNINSTALLED IT, REBOOTED, AND MY REGULAR D DRIVE AND MY “A” DRIVE COULD REGOGNIZE STUFF!
I AM SO HAPPY NOW YEAH!

NOW I AM GOING TO ATTEMPT TO MAKE MY EXTERNAL CD BURNER WORK AGAIN.

I HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE ELSE OUT.
I NEVER POSTED A REPLY B4 ANYWHERE.

I WAS AT MY WITS END TRYING TO FIGURE THIS OUT.

I had just recently installed Roxio Record Now Music Lab 9 and I have had this same problem. I have uninstalled that program and all my Roxio’s as well. I have also done everything that has been mentioned here and I still don’t have my DVD burner back. I got my DVD drive back but not my burner. I thought that maybe it had something to do the latest Microsoft update for Frame Network 3.0 so I uninstalled that as well. I got my drives back for a short while, but when I rebooted my computer the DVD-Rom drive disappeared again. I would appreciate any help as well. I have a Sony DRU-840A. I put it in my computer because I thought my Lite-On may have went bad. So please give me some ideas as well as the others here. Thank you so much. :confused: