DVD Burner Deals

vbimport

I’m looking for a new DVD burner to use with my old computer (a 4 year old Dell dimension desktop which still works well and is not ready for a full replacement just yet) It came with a primitive NEC 1100 DVD burner that never burned DVDs as advertised. I don’t want to get a piece of junk that will not recognize DVDs and will give me problems burning data and movie DVDs, but since the computer will be replaced in the next year or two I also don’t want to pour a ton of money into a burner when I’ll get a new one with a new computer. I’m open to internal or external–internal will be cheaper but external would be easier to set up and also transferable to another computer when this one dies. Thanks for the help!

Benq 1640, 1650, or 1655 would be my top suggestions, but they are getting tough to find at this point - if you have a local CompUSA, you can buy them under a couple of brands such as Norwood Micro, Connect Computers, there’s more info on finding them in the Benq forum in the thread called ‘Benq drives are vanishing’. Otherwise there are a lot of other good choices as well, Pioneer 111D, Liteon 160P6S, Liteon 165P6S, Samsung 183 series, LG GSA-H22N. You can get all of these for about $30-40.

No need for two threads on the same subject.