DVD-burner crashes my pc

First, my english sucks. I hope you´ll understand anyway.

Today i built my new pc:
PSU 500w
ASUS P5N-D
DVD-burner Samsung SH-S203D/BEBN DVD±RW Dual-layer 20*
GeForce 9600GT 512 DDR3
Harddrive Samsung HD501LJ 500GB
Harddrive Western Digital Raptor 74GB
Ram Twin XMS2-6400C5 G Extreme tot. 4096MB 800MHz
Intel Core2Duo E6550 2.33GHz 4MB FSB 1333
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Everything went smooth untill i began to install Vista. Imeadetly my pc crashed.
After many hours and a lot of changing in the BIOS i finally managed to install Vista.
Now happy i tried to restart the pc. It crashed yet again:(
Now really mad i began to disconnect the hardware one at a time to find out what happened.
And when i disconnected the dvd the pc ran as smooth as…?
When i connected the dvd and restarted, it crashed again!

So, what´s wrong? Is it the dvd? The Motherboard? The firmware??

Anyone knows??

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Did you try to install the SATA drive on a different slot? If I’m not wrong, most mainboards have two separate SATA controllers (check in the mainboard manual about details of this). It could be that the controller in which you are connecting the drive right now is not able to manage a SATA optical drive.

Check also that your SATA controller is not running in raid mode.

hmm, i forgot to tell that i had lot´s of help from a friend when messing in the BIOS.
Let´s put it this way: My pc-skills are equal to my english.

But! As far as i know we tried to change the “cord” from the dvd between all four of the SATA-sockets on the motherboard with the same result. CRASH!

But RAID-mode, WTF is that. Sorry but i just trust that my friend, who works with computers; thougt of that.

But if you have the time, please in an easy way try to explaine step by step what i should do and how to check this out.

Henrik

Use secondary SATA port for optical drive and run it in IDE mode. Do not use RAID for the secondary SATA ports.

Ok people! Thanks a lot for all help:

It seams that i forgot too tell you some vital info from the beginning.
I had´nt had the chance too uppdate Vista with SP1.
After bthat everything runs smooth.

Kinda strange thou. I mean, if SP1 is the solution and i have a burner that hardly functions. What if i never managed to install Vista? Then i´d be stuck with no option but too shift burner until i found one that worked without SP1!?

I don´t know if Microsoft or ASUS is too blame, so i´ll hate them booth equally!!

:a

[QUOTE=nilhe1;2047047]Ok people! Thanks a lot for all help:

It seams that i forgot too tell you some vital info from the beginning.
I had´nt had the chance too uppdate Vista with SP1.
After bthat everything runs smooth.

Kinda strange thou. I mean, if SP1 is the solution and i have a burner that hardly functions. What if i never managed to install Vista? Then i´d be stuck with no option but too shift burner until i found one that worked without SP1!?

I don´t know if Microsoft or ASUS is too blame, so i´ll hate them booth equally!!

:a[/QUOTE]

Your a lucky few that seem to have gotten your hardware to work with Vista after SP1. I would go first with M$ forgetting about the endusers and Asus for not informing its customer of possible problem using the Vista O/S.