DVD Burner $50 or less

vbimport

I’m looking for the best deal on a DVD burner about $50 or less. Judging from what I’ve seen I can get a pretty good one for that price–if you guys disagree and I really do need to spend more money to get a respectable burner please do let me know. I would appreciate any input anyone has. Thanks!

Absolutely no reason to spend that much. The Pioneer 111D would be my recommendation. Very versatile with both media and applications (particularly if you happen to be doing XBOX 360 backups). It has also been around long enough to be well proven and have plenty of firmware updates for it. About the only thing it won’t do is reliable error rate scans. My personal preference is to use my 111D as my main burner (less than $40 shipped from www.newegg.com) and my Lite-On 160P6S burner (less than $35 shipped from www.newegg.com) for ripping/error rate scans. Keep an eye out for specials. I managed to get all of the following for $64 shipped: Pioneer 111D with a free 50 pack of 16x Inkjet Printable Verbatim DVD-R AND my retail model Lite-On 160P6S.

Thank you for the suggestions. Those do sound like excellent options and I’ll definitely check them out. About the error/scans…are these something that you do just to test how good a burner is or, is this something you guys do on every disc you burn to see how error-free (or error-full) it is? I’m a bit confused about why you use your Lite-On for “ripping/error rate scans.” For me, this burner will be used to make archives of large digital image files (I do a lot of photography), to back-up a bunch of DVD movies, and burn some DVDs from a consumer video camera. Please let me know any further thoughts you have on that–and, a big thank you for helping me out…I’ve actually been struggling to get started and get some good advice!

no offense…but 3 posts about the same thing…if it isnt, my apologies…but seems like it.

Pioneer 111D
$44 - $10 Google Checkout + Free Shipping = $34

Sony DWQ-120a (rebadged Lite-On 165P6S)
$40 - $10 Google Checkout + Free Shipping = $30

Lite-On 160P6S
$50 - $10 Google Checkout + Free Shipping = $40

Thanks…those are all very good suggestions. Is it pretty much a toss-up between the 3 or do any of them excel in any one aspect? I’m pretty much narrowed down to the Pioneer and the Lite-On. The Pioneer has been suggested a bit more but I also read there are problems with getting the firmware (any thought on that?). If it’s just going to be a personal toss-up let me know but if there are any differences such as one burns certain media better, backs up movies better, etc. please let me know so I can factor that in. Thanks a lot for all the help!

No problems with getting the firmware for either drives. Just go to http://www.rpc1.org and find any firmware for either drive that you desire. I have personally found that my Pioneer is a little bit better of a burner than my Lite-On (I get better scans. As for error rate scans they are used to measure the burn quality on a given disc and help predict longevity. If I had to pick just one of the two drives that I currently have, I would definitely pick the Pioneer. My scans from the Pioneer burned discs have consistently proven to be a little bit better than my Lite-On. The Pioneer does have an additional added bonus of auto-setting the booktype to DVD-ROM for you on D/L DVD+R media which can save you a bit of hassle. Pioneer drives also tend to do better burns on - format media, while still doing well on + format media. The Lite-On does pretty well on + media but not quite as good on - format media as a whole.

Jesterrace–Once again, thank you! Your responses are tremendously helpful and exactly what I’m looking for. I was looking harder at the Lite-On since I had heard about firmware issues for the Pioneer and also from the links I followed, the Pioneer only burns at 16x where the Lite-On goes up to 20x. However, after your response I think I’m pretty settled on the Pioneer.

Lastly, I know this is not the perfect place for this question but since you are so knowledgeable about this drive and we’re on the topic, can you please recommend some media that give you the best scans with the Pioneer? I hear TY or Verbatim are the good but are they the best for this drive? Is - format the way to go? I’d like to go ahead and order some when I order my drive. Thanks so much for all the help and explanations–you have been a big asset to me!

Personaly I’d recomend Taiyo Yuden 8X +R media, also known as “T02” because that is the MID code of that media. This stuff is the holy grail of DVD media. Additionaly, the ONLY place to get it is at www.rima.com Yes, it costs a bit more, but in the final analysis, you rarely really SAVE money buying cheap media.

Alternatively, you can buy some of the Taiyo Yuden VALUE LINE media at shop4tech right now with free shipping. It’s usualy (in my experiance) 8X TYG02 -R media. The only other thing it would be is 16X TYG03 -R media, and that stuff doesn’t burn nearly as well as the 8X stuff in most writers, so you’re taking your chances as far as which MID code you’ll actualy receive. Here’s the link on that stuff. http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go=view_item&id=5167&cata=1&s_cata=286 The good news on this stuff is you can get yourself $10.00 off using Google Checkout, and there’s evan a couplon code for another $3.00 off making the final cost $17.00 shipped for 100 disks. I personaly haven’t gotten the couplon code to work, but I’ve used Google Checkout a couple times on two seperate orders of 100 pieces and got 'em for $20.00 each. The current coupon code it JM10.

If you’re going to try some of the Value Line stuff, I’d really appriciate it if you’d PM me your e-mail address and let me send you a referal for that media as, shop4tech gives discounts for doing so, and really I AM the one reffering you to them. :smiley:

Lastly, if you’re looking for media you can just buy localy and have it be good stuff, the Verbatim media has done many of us really well. Particularly the CMC made stuff. The way you can tell the differance is that the “OPEN,” and “CLOSE,” on the top of the cakebox will be in a serif font, where as the prodisk manufactured stuff the font won’t have those little serifs in it. (See here to know what I’m talking about: http://m-w.com/mw/art/serif.htm )

One final note, if I were choosing between the Pio and the Lite-On as my ONLY drive, I’d go with the Lite-On BECAUSE of the ability to reliably scan burned media. This is the ONLY way to reliably tell how good any particular disk is, and whether or not it seriously needs to be re-copied to ensure the safety of the material it contains.

Hope all this helps. :iagree:

JD

@Joe Dirt (and whoever else),
You can also try PC10 for 10% discount at shop4tech. It has worked every time I have used it in the past month.

JD–Shoot the info to MUSCBoneDoc11@yahoo.com–I’m not 100% sure I’ll be getting that media just yet but it is definitely the most likely thing and I will, of course, not mind giving you credit for the referral. After all, that is the least I can do for the time you just spent educating me! By the way, you say it is “more expensive” but how much cheaper does it get than $17 for 100 DVDs!!! I did some searching earlier and saw that 100 Verbatim’s and TY’s were generally in the $30-$40 range (no discounts, rebates, coupons, etc.). I guess that may be a tad more expensive than some media I’ve seen but who would really cut a corner and buy something for $20 when you can spend $30 and sleep better at night?

Can you answer one more question for me, please? With the Lite-On and doing the scans to ensure that everything burned correctly, how long does it take to scan a disc? I was hoping to avoid doing scans (especially if it takes a substantial amount of time) but I do have some valuable pictures I will be saving (both memories and for professional printing) and while back-up movies are not a huge deal to me, if I lost some of my home movies I’d be pretty bummed. I just learned about these scans so I don’t know how hard they are to do, how they show their findings, etc. Will I need a lot of educating to understand the findings, or do they just give a number that if it’s one value it’s good, another is bad? I was hoping to make this as simple as possible but I guess you do have a point–even if I have a good burner with good media eventually I’ll get some errors and if it comes on the wrong disc it could really be bad so maybe doing scans, even if I do them on ONLY the most important discs, is not a bad idea.

What do other people think about scanning the discs? (Jesterrace?) I was getting ready to order a Pioneer and now I’m back to be torn or maybe leaning towards Lite-On. Maybe it really doesn’t matter but I admit that I’m in the dark on much of these–I’d appreciate some educated input from the experts! Thanks again to everyone!

I agree. I have a Lite-On 160P6S and it is a very versatile drive with good support for many types of media. As JD mentioned it is also an excellent scanner and ripper.

Here are links to the two most popular scanners on the forum. In fact it is recommended that if you post a scan of your media to do it with one of these programs.

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

http://www.k-probe.com/ - ONLY works with Lite-On drives

Stay tuned to this forum as many of us will post media deals often. We’re nuts like that.

Can you answer one more question for me, please? With the Lite-On and doing the scans to ensure that everything burned correctly, how long does it take to scan a disc? I was hoping to avoid doing scans (especially if it takes a substantial amount of time) but I do have some valuable pictures I will be saving (both memories and for professional printing)
Trust me, if it’s important enough to you you’ll do the scan. It doesn’t take much longer than burning the media but it’s no big deal. You can always start a scan just before dinner or something and it’ll be finished by the time you’re done.

… and while back-up movies are not a huge deal to me, if I lost some of my home movies I’d be pretty bummed. I just learned about these scans so I don’t know how hard they are to do, how they show their findings, etc. Will I need a lot of educating to understand the findings, or do they just give a number that if it’s one value it’s good, another is bad? I was hoping to make this as simple as possible but I guess you do have a point–even if I have a good burner with good media eventually I’ll get some errors and if it comes on the wrong disc it could really be bad so maybe doing scans, even if I do them on ONLY the most important discs, is not a bad idea.

What do other people think about scanning the discs? (Jesterrace?) I was getting ready to order a Pioneer and now I’m back to be torn or maybe leaning towards Lite-On. Maybe it really doesn’t matter but I admit that I’m in the dark on much of these–I’d appreciate some educated input from the experts! Thanks again to everyone!
Anything that is worth doing is worth doing well. Most of us do some heavy scanning, especially when we’re trying out some new media to see how well it works. Also, most of us have multiple burners so having a few to burn and a few to scan isn’t an issue unless you don’t have the space or need for more.

Interpreting the scans does take a little time to get used to but once you get the hang of it you’ll be asking yourself why you haven’t done it in the past.

If you stick with quality media such as TY then there really isn’t much of a need to do scans. You do take the gamble with that odd defective disc that you might get but IMHO that is small potatoes. I also recommend the premium TY from www.rima.com. Either the 8x DVD+R or the 8x DVD-R will burn great on the Pioneer 111D. I personally prefer the -R media due to the applications that I use my media for (ie videogame console backups) but as mentioned it really doesn’t matter which one you get if you pick up the Pioneer drive. As for how fast the Lite-On scans discs it can do them at 8x, so say 7-8 minutes to scan a fully burned single layer disc and about 16-17 minutes to scan a fully burned D/L disc.

Thanks for all the responses…all very good knowledge. As one would expect, it seems that there is a crowd that supports each drive here. From what I’ve seen in response to my posts and reading many others, it seems that the Pioneer may have a slight edge in quality with various types of media but the Lite-On has the advantage of scanning. I also saw in a post that Nero makes a scanning program. If I get that program, can I scan my Pioneer DVDs just as easily as I could the Lite-On DVDs? If so, then is scanning really a big factor to consider? Sounds like I could check either disc the only difference is that I need another program with the Pioneer to do so. I really value the input I’ve gotten so far–any further thoughts, comments, or experiences are also very much appreciated!

Nope. The deal is that there are only 3 drives that support ACCURATE error rate scanning. Lite-On, Benq and Plextor. Plextors are way out of your price range and overrated IMHO (at least their DVD Burners). Benq are good scanners but tend to only do well with discs that are burned on Benq drives, so if you happened to get a disc that was burned by another burner it would be a gamble. Lite-Ons are the most cost effective and flexible DVD Scanners PERIOD. The Pioneer 111D can scan with the latest Nero CD/DVD Speed but they definitely aren’t accurate. They are “so-so” for single layer discs and completely worthless for D/L. The other thing is that the Pioneer is a much slower scanner, it definitely won’t do 8x scans like the late model Lite-On drives will. Once again it is all a matter of preference. I think that purchasing one of each drive is the way to go but the way I see it is that in terms of burning discs, the Pioneer is my choice. In terms of ripping/scanning the Lite-On is my choice. So you will need to decide what is the most important to you. Not saying that the Lite-On can’t produce decent burns. I just haven’t found it to be quite as versatile as my Pioneer.

Actually you can count recent Samsung drives as well in regards to scanning (Mediatek chipset, similar scanning functionality to Liteons). Benq scanning of other drives’ discs is only an issue if jitter is high (12%+), otherwise it’s not an issue.

[B]But[/B] … have you crossflashed your 111D to a 111L to achieve this versatility?

The OP may not be willing to do that. Just a thought. It’s easy as PIE and PIF though should they want to. :wink:

Nope. Mine is still just a 111D.

Your best bit would be for repackage of BenQ 1655(w/LightScribe) brand of Compusa or Connect or Norwood all can be bought from Compusa and if you catch them on sale you can get them for $30rish.