DVD burn speed confusion!

Hello all,

I am REALLY confused about my Taiyo Yuden DVD burn speeds and the quality of the different burn speeds of the discs. I have a NEC 3500AG Firmware 2.07 I’m using DVD Identifier as well as Nero to identify the media codes.

Questions-
Why do my Taiyo Yuden (TYG01) 4x discs give me burning options of 2x,4x,6x & 8x?
Why do my Taiyo Yuden (TYG02) 8x discs give me burning options of 2x,4x,6x,8x & 12?
Why do my Taiyo Yuden (TYG03) 16x discs give me burning options of only 2x, & 4x only?
I have read that the TYG01 disc are the best (of the three above)–is this true?
What burn speeds should I be using?
Also I bought from Supermedia Store what where suppossed to be TYG01 discs and was sent TYG03 discs instead. Unfortunatly because I thought they were TYG01 (because I could only burn at 2x or 4x on my burner) I burned about 30 of them and sent them out. All were checked in my set top player and seemed to work fine–am I in trouble here?
Any input would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Dave P.

The firmware and it’s media support decides here about the speeds.

The burner manufacturers decide that a particular media can be burned successfully at certain speeds.
In the case of TYG01 & TYG02 they reckon that the quality is good enough to step up the max burning speed by a notch over the rated speed.

In the case of TYG03, the firmware does not recognise this media so offers just the low default burn speeds of 2 & 4x. For this media you need to try & get a firmware update from NEC. You won’t get the best burn with these until you can get firmware that has a defined write strategy rather than the default. That doesn’t mean it’s bad, just not the best.

For burn speeds , start always at the rated speed.

I’ve always been a little leary to update my firmware. From what I’ve read it sounds like it can be a little tricky & if not done correctly you can mess up your burner. Would I go to NEC for the latest firmware? Does anyone have any tips on how to update firmware in as safe a manner as possible?

Thanks
Busterp

Yes go to NEC. Your firmware is way out of date. Get the new one here .
There are instructions included with this but essentially don’t have anything else running & don’t power off during the update. Once done , reboot.
If this doesn’t work , as in refuses to update , then there’s plenty of modified firmware that will work.