DVD-/+ burn corrupted (md5 checked)

(Detailed hardware info in the end of the post.)

I’ve owned a Nec 3500AG drive for about an year now and haven’t been able to get rid of random file corruption in the burnt discs. I’ve used cheap and quality media, which have gotten good reviews and have been tested with the same burner, but the results aren’t any better. Nor has the change of firmware (I’ve tried like five different ones).

MD5 checks under Linux (repeated checks, same results) often show one or more files with different checksum. These can be seen as occasional video/audio artifacts. Sometimes I do get perfect copies, but it’s rare. Most of ten the errors won’t be noticable (as artifacts), but sometimes they can cause the dvd playback software to crash - for example stop movie or skip back to menu.

I’ve tried burning in Nero, DVD Decrypter, growisofs and dvdrecord. In general the quality of the disc is better when I’ve rebooted to Windows, all other programs are closed and I use DVD Decrypter. I’ve usually burnt the dvd media in their maximum speed (from 4x to 16x).

Since the drive reads CDs and DVDs perfectly, I doubt the IDE-cables are to blame.

So my question is, how can I fix this problem? Has anyone else experienced similiar problems?

Detailed info:

DVD-DRIVE
Model Number: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG
Firmware Revision: 2.TG
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2

DRIVE SETUP, master / slave, (UDMA #) - before
IDE 1: 1st hd (5) / -
IDE 2: 2nd hd (6) / dvd (2)

DRIVE SETUP ( master / slave ) - now
IDE 1: - / -
IDE 2: - / dvd (2)
SATA 1: 1st hd (6)