DVD being read as CD

Hi, I have a question about burning files to DVD. I want to burn a movie to a DVD so I can transfer it to a laptop, but I don’t want to burn a watchable DVD file, just burn a data disc with the video file on it. But whenever I put in a DVD-R the computer sees it as a CD-R and won’t let me put anything big (over 700 mb like the movie file) into it and it won’t burn. But like a week ago it worked with DVD-Rs.

The DVD-Rs are sony accucore
the drive is a TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-H552B

and I was able to burn files to a DVD-R about a week ago. so any help is great THX

[QUOTE=captainconcarne;2080469]Hi, I have a question about burning files to DVD. I want to burn a movie to a DVD so I can transfer it to a laptop, but I don’t want to burn a watchable DVD file, just burn a data disc with the video file on it. But whenever I put in a DVD-R the computer sees it as a CD-R and won’t let me put anything big (over 700 mb like the movie file) into it and it won’t burn. But like a week ago it worked with DVD-Rs.

and I was able to burn files to a DVD-R about a week ago. so any help is great THX[/QUOTE]

Some times this issue can be resolved by uninstalling the drive in device manager, the operating system will reinstall it after you restart the system

Are you using XP? (XP doesn’t recognize DVDs) Have you tried a burning program? (I suggest ImgBurn).

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2080601]Are you using XP? (XP doesn’t recognize DVDs) Have you tried a burning program? (I suggest ImgBurn).[/QUOTE]
I second that…Windows XP doesn’t burn to blank DVDs–mostly only blanks CDs, and ImgBurn is a good drag-and-drop program, as long as you don’t overthink how to work the interface.

[QUOTE=captainconcarne;2080469]Hi, I have a question about burning files to DVD. I want to burn a movie to a DVD so I can transfer it to a laptop, but I don’t want to burn a watchable DVD file, just burn a data disc with the video file on it. But whenever I put in a DVD-R [B]the computer sees it as a CD-R[/B] and won’t let me put anything big (over 700 mb like the movie file) into it and it won’t burn. But like a week ago it worked with DVD-Rs.

and I was able to burn files to a DVD-R about a week ago. so any help is great THX[/QUOTE]

If you refer to explorer, then its normal.
You must use a proper burning app for burning DVD!

You CAN NOT burn a DVD Movie via DATA anyway unless it’s in AVI or DivX file…Get IMGburn, it’s Free.