DVD Backups Tracked?

I was reading my copy of PC Magazine the other day, and read something that gave me quite a jolt… it talked about how Blue Ray & HD DVDs (and possibly soon Reg. dvds) will soon have the ability to tell if they have been “backed up”. Is this actually possible? should people be worried about this anytime soon since its apparently illegal to make backups of movies you actually own?? just wondered what you guys thought… thanks

DVD-ROMs will not be able to tell if they have been backed up because they’re, erm, totally ROM. :wink:

As to BD and HD-DVD, I don’t know. The new copy protections are pretty awkward.

It may be that it also meant that the DVD-R specification (not DVD+R) requires the burner’s model name to be written into the lead-in. Most burner models such as Pioneer, LG, BenQ and Plextor also write their serial number into the lead-in, making your backups on DVD-R trackable. LiteOn, who apparently care about your privacy, don’t do that. :slight_smile:

Just curious, kg evilboy, can one get access to this serial number written in the lead-in with consumer software or does this require some specialized program? First I’ve heard that my drive’s serial number is written to every burned disc :frowning:

Software such as Nero and ImgBurn can read the serial number off the lead-in. :slight_smile:

It may be that it also meant that the DVD-R specification (not DVD+R) requires the burner’s model name to be written into the lead-in. Most burner models such as Pioneer, LG, BenQ and Plextor also write their serial number into the lead-in, making your backups on DVD-R trackable. LiteOn, who apparently care about your privacy, don’t do that.

That interesting I didn’t realize that LiteOn didnt write yoru serial number onto the media. Would that constitute invasion of privacy by the manufacture posting your information other for people to find? Where do I go looking on the net to find that information about drives putting your drive serial number on the media?? I like to read and research more about this cause this is something most users and manufacture don’t mention or talk about. If that is true this information should be in a separate posting to inform users of their drives posting information on media that it shouldn’t be doing. I always thought of thinking to buy one of those other drives but if what your saying is in fact a “Fact” then they the manufacture is doing us buyers a disservice for the product we purchase from them.

Ok since you peaked my interest in drive giving out people serial number on the dvd what site or where did you find that information referring to drives putting peoples S/N onto media?

I have tried this myself.

Just burn a few DVD-R with LG and LiteOn (or Pioneer, BenQ, …), and look at these with software that will read out the full burner name from the Recording Management Area Data.

It seems that most of the RMA is not being used though…