DVD backups that will be used on an XBOX

vbimport

Hi, I just purchased the Lite-ON 811s DVD±R/W drive. I have been having a hard time figuring out how to make dvd backups work on my xbox. Each one I make will work on my RCA dvd player, but not on the Xbox.
I am using Fuji DVD+R’s
I believe that it is just the ripping software that is creating files that the xbox cannot read, because when i put a home movie on the DVD, it plays perfectly.
Any suggestions on what software I should use to rip the DVD with, and to Burn the DVD+R with?

Thanks for putting up with my questions

Try downloading the Lite-On Booktype Utility and changing your book-type to DVD-Rom. Should help compatibility out with the XBox. :slight_smile:

setting the booktype to dvd-rom is definitely something you should do. i don’t know of any xboxs that won’t read dvd+r with booktype dvd-rom.

Hi mattr652 , welcome to the forum.

The first thing to ask is. What kind of region is your XBOX and what kind of drive is in it ? The reason i ask is because the first batch of XBOXes had very crappy dvd players (Thompson).

If your XBOX is not modified (called modchip : new chip , new bios , etc) the chance of success might be slim. The dongle included with the remote control is also a necessity to playback dvd-movies in your xbox.

Assuming you have a non-modified XBOX with a Region 1 dongle and remote control , the chance of success is again … slim.

The XBOX won’t usually accept any other media than just DVD-movie. Changing the bitsetting of your writer MIGHT help , but in my case (A philips DVDRW416K modified to act like a Nec 1300A) it didn’t.

My XBOX will accept everything (CD-RW , DVD+ , DVD- , DVD-movie) when i use the built-in modchip. If i do not use the built-in modchip (yes , i can disable it) , the XBOX will not accept anything other than original dvd-games and dvd movies (which in my case must be region 2 only).

It might just be my rate of success but with DVD-R’s at least anything I basically toss at the XBox plays just fine. It’s not mod-chipped, Thompson DVD Drive, etc. Now, I did tweak the read speed up on this drive so maybe that has something to do with it. I can’t say for the original person asking the question but so far anything that hasn’t played in my stand-alone player plays perfectly fine in the XBox. A little odd since it’s not chipped or at least it seems so to me but if it works… :slight_smile:

does anybody know how i can link my pc upto my xbox?? my xbox has been chipped (not switchable) with an 80 gig hard drive im lead to believe its one of the first xboxes as it had to be formatted to play some new games but it is fine now! will i have to buy a tv card?..:confused:

Originally posted by carlcoops
does anybody know how i can link my pc upto my xbox?? my xbox has been chipped (not switchable) with an 80 gig hard drive im lead to believe its one of the first xboxes as it had to be formatted to play some new games but it is fine now! id like some information because i cant afford to buy a new tv at the moment ! will i have to buy a tv card?..:confused:

When you use a modchipped xbox and a new dashboard , it comes with a built-in ftp server , so that you can transfer files back and forth from your pc.

Originally posted by AZImmortal
setting the booktype to dvd-rom is definitely something you should do. i don’t know of any xboxs that won’t read dvd+r with booktype dvd-rom.

Well then you should meet my XBOX. I haven a XBOX 1.4 with a Thomson drive. The drive can read DVD+R, but very very poorly (I have to try 20 times before a disc is accepted even once!). When I set the booktype to DVD-ROM it still doesn’t change much… I have to try 15 times or so, games crash etc etc.

When making use of DVD-R everything is fine. Even the crappiest media is read perfectly and fast on the Thomson drive.

Moral of the story: anomilies exist :slight_smile:

yeah, i just meant in my personal experience with my own and my friends’ xboxs (about 10 of them). i’ll be more careful with the wording next time. :stuck_out_tongue: if you’re brave, you can try tweaking the pots in the drive to see if you can get it to read media more easily.

i just wanted to add that not all dashes have ftp servers built-in, but the most popular ones do, such as EvoX and Avalaunch.

the easiest way to ftp into the xbox would be if you had a router, in which case you basically just have to plug the xbox into the router, find out what ip the router assigned to the xbox, and then start up a dash that has an ftp server built-in. from there, you use an ftp program to login to the xbox, using the internal ip as the ip, port 21, and xbox/xbox for the login/pass (default login/pass for any xbox ftp server).

xbox-scene has a lot of useful info and guides you can read up on.

Originally posted by AZImmortal
if you’re brave, you can try tweaking the pots in the drive to see if you can get it to read media more easily.

I wouldn’t advice to do so, as too many already “ruined” their XBOX by making it even less compatible with DVD and CD media… I think it’s better to adept to the limits of the system rather than destroying your XBOX…

Just to add a little of my own experience. I have an Xbox with a Philips DVD-ROM in it. Before it was chipped it could read both DVD-R and DVD+R DVD-Video back-ups. Now that it has been chipped it can still read both DVD-R and DVD+R discs but for game back-ups I tend to use DVD+R discs because the Philips seems to like these just a little better (faster loading, etc.). I burn my Xbox games with RecordNow. I can also use Nero Burning ROM but the back-ups I create with Nero won’t work in the Xbox of a friend of mine. I need to use RecordNow since else his Xbox (Samsung DVD-ROM) won’t read the discs, regardless if they are DVD-R or DVD+R discs.

When I rip an Xbox game I of course use the Xbox to read the discs with and copy the files to my computer. I use FlashFXP as FTP software. Once all the files have been copied you’re basically done. I can load all the files in RecordNow, set-up the burn preferences (DAO, UDF non-Joliet I believe) and then burn away. This method has worked for me with every disc I’ve back-upped.

I use alcohol 120 and have never had a problem, just click and go :slight_smile: . And thats with a shitty thompson drive.

I’ve listed my media and burner in the relevant section here.

hi i have a modded xbox but i think there might b somin wrong with it… some games it will copy but when i start them it kicks me back to the dash what do i do!?

You need to find a patch for that particular game as some games do not run from the xbox hard drive but some do .

i have a version 1.4 xbox with a philips drive not modded, as i have a lite-on 812s@832s the only option i really have for dvd backups is dvd+r’s as dvd-r’s tend not to burn properly on lite-on drives, i use ritek r02’s with the booktype setting. 99% of the dvd backups i’ve done work fine on the xbox, not a single problem, the odd one stutters and pixelates but works fine on my pc.