DVD backup to Archos/ quality poor

Hi
I have an Archos 705 wifi dvr player which I am backing up dvd’s to.
The problem is the quality is really poor, not to bad on the Archos player but if I play back through the a tv then its really poor.
I am using DVD Decypter and then AVS video converter to convert to wmv.
This is the preferred format by the Archos player.
Any help much appreciated :slight_smile:

Cause your screen is much smaller on the portable unit and half the space. Screens average on portable devices 3 to 4 inches. So compression will always to seen as bad quality verses to smaller screen on the ARCHOS. I would back up your movies to dvd that you want to watch on a larger TV then using the portable.

Hi
Thanks for the quick reply.
The Archos 705 has a 7inch screen and sits on a docking station next to a tv.
When I record from the tv and play back through the tv the quality is excellent.
The Archos unit has an 80g hard drive and is like a mini pc, surely I must be able to get the same quality as my pc?
At the moment I am trying dvdFab platinum on an Archos setting, I suppose in hindsight might be to low a setting?.
I really want to be able to view a film on the Archos and play back through a tv in good quality

[QUOTE=yachty;1960559]Hi
Thanks for the quick reply.
The Archos 705 has a 7inch screen and sits on a docking station next to a tv.
When I record from the tv and play back through the tv the quality is excellent.
The Archos unit has an 80g hard drive and is like a mini pc, surely I must be able to get the same quality as my pc?
At the moment I am trying dvdFab platinum on an Archos setting, I suppose in hindsight might be to low a setting?.
I really want to be able to view a film on the Archos and play back through a tv in good quality[/QUOTE]

Yes! Then in that case you should have no problem with the DVDFab Plat. just use the Archos settings in DVDFab and you should be fine. I use DVDFab on my little Zen M 60GB and its really cool! Also use the 128bit for the soundtrack for it sounds really good!

You should check what resolution and codec the videos are actually being encoded into. It’s likely that it’s a low resolution that’s designed for portability rather than quality, and the codec might be one that doesn’t compress as well as others.

[QUOTE=AZImmortal;1960964]You should check what resolution and codec the videos are actually being encoded into. It’s likely that it’s a low resolution that’s designed for portability rather than quality, and the codec might be one that doesn’t compress as well as others.[/QUOTE]

Could you please tell me how I check the codec, I am not even sure what codecs I have.

GSpot will give you a wealth of information about your video files.

Having discovered and tried DVDFab, I am more than happy with the results :smiley:
Thanks for everyone’s input :bow:

[QUOTE=yachty;1961769]Having discovered and tried DVDFab, I am more than happy with the results :smiley:
Thanks for everyone’s input :bow:[/QUOTE]

Good to hear it, nice choice with DVDFab! Take Care :clap::smiley: