DVD backup skips on playback

I used DVD-Fab 5 to make a backup of a BBC America/Target DVD named “Shooting the Past”. The back-up will play OK on my computer, and also on a Panasonic DVD recorder (DMR-H50), but when I try to play it in our main DVD player (Sony DVP-NC615, 5-disc player bought a few years ago) it plays a second or so of each section, then comes back to the menu. Checked the Sony support and drivers (and FAQ) - no firmware update available. Any ideas/fixes extremely welcome!

[QUOTE=hde;2294275]I used DVD-Fab 5 to make a backup of a BBC America/Target DVD named “Shooting the Past”. The back-up will play OK on my computer, and also on a Panasonic DVD recorder (DMR-H50), but when I try to play it in our main DVD player (Sony DVP-NC615, 5-disc player bought a few years ago) it plays a second or so of each section, then comes back to the menu. Checked the Sony support and drivers (and FAQ) - no firmware update available. Any ideas/fixes extremely welcome![/QUOTE]

Are the files generated from the backup with Fab 5 still on your computer?

What was the format of the original disc (NTSC-PAL)?

Please advise.

OC

:slight_smile:

No, but I can easily start another backup if you have some plan in mind. I should have said the 5-disc Sony plays the original disc OK. Thanks for your help!

Oh - NTSC - sorry! I use T-Y DVD-R, latest Fab5, no trouble with backups of other DVDs, except one - DVDFab5 appeared to be compressing the disk content as normal, but then wouldn’t burn - gave me an error. Same on a different computer/burner. BUT - Fab did a split OK. Weird

[QUOTE=hde;2294301]Oh - NTSC - sorry! I use T-Y DVD-R, latest Fab5, no trouble with backups of other DVDs, except one - DVDFab5 appeared to be compressing the disk content as normal, but then wouldn’t burn - gave me an error. Same on a different computer/burner. BUT - Fab did a split OK. Weird[/QUOTE]

OK…I have two ideas in mind - both are fairly simple to use, so take your pick:

1.) If you don’t already have it, download DVD Shrink ([B]ONLY[/B] the original one - don’t try to get anything labelled as "New"or “2009 version”).

2.) Download a utility called FixVTS - both of these are easily located using Google.

Apply your ripped files to either:

a) DVD Shrink, deep analysis mode - save the result and burn that, [B]OR[/B]

b)FixVTS - put the VOBs through that program, and again, burn the result.

I can’t guarantee either will fix your problem, but either of these two should put your files in a more acceptable format for your desktop player.

Please let us know the results.

OC

:slight_smile:

Thank you so much - I’ll try those when I have free time, and let you know what happens.

Again, many thanks, OC!