DVD back-ups fail at hour and thirty minute mark

vbimport

The last two DVDs I’ve burned have had errors at the tail end. It’s only by chance that I caught the errors. I usually don’t watch an entire back-up DVD after I burn it; I just spot check it by jumping forward to the start of each “chapter” and then watching a few seconds to see how it looks and sounds.

The two I burned today had severe skipping and freezing after the hour and thirty minute mark, so I’m wondering if the problem might be in the burner.

To be sure that the errors were not on the original disks, I played the original DVDs and they played fine in the same sections where the errors in the back-ups occurred.

The burner came from a patched together PC that an online acquaintance built for me from leftover parts, but which failed a few months after I received it. I bought a second hand Pentium 4 from my neighborhood computer shop and installed that burner in it.

I’m wondering if this problem of errors occurring at about the hour and thirty minute mark might be a clue as to the source of the problem. I’m thinking that it might be either bad disks or a bad burner.

I’d be grateful for some advice on trouble shooting the problem. I’m about due to order a new batch of blank DVD-Rs, so I could do a second burn of the same movies on a different brand of disk to see if that solves the problem.

Also, is there a program that can compare a burned DVD-R with the original DVD, to check for errors, so that I don’t have to watch each of my back-ups from beginning to end to check for errors. Having to watch each back-up is too much like work, and takes the enjoyment out watching my movies.

I used DVD Shrink (via Nero) to burn one of the movies, And DVD Fab to burn the second one.

Did you rip with shrink…Any ner0 burn logs?..What media, burn speed?..You could try Nero’s Discspeed, to scan your burned media.
Maybe try ripping with Fab and Imgburn to burn…

[QUOTE=Clueless in Seattle;2508665]The last two DVDs I’ve burned have had errors at the tail end. It’s only by chance that I caught the errors. I usually don’t watch an entire back-up DVD after I burn it; I just spot check it by jumping forward to the start of each “chapter” and then watching a few seconds to see how it looks and sounds.

The two I burned today had severe skipping and freezing after the hour and thirty minute mark, so I’m wondering if the problem might be in the burner.

To be sure that the errors were not on the original disks, I played the original DVDs and they played fine in the same sections where the errors in the back-ups occurred.

The burner came from a patched together PC that an online acquaintance built for me from leftover parts, but which failed a few months after I received it. I bought a second hand Pentium 4 from my neighborhood computer shop and installed that burner in it.

I’m wondering if this problem of errors occurring at about the hour and thirty minute mark might be a clue as to the source of the problem. I’m thinking that it might be either bad disks or a bad burner.

I’d be grateful for some advice on trouble shooting the problem. I’m about due to order a new batch of blank DVD-Rs, so I could do a second burn of the same movies on a different brand of disk to see if that solves the problem.

Also, is there a program that can compare a burned DVD-R with the original DVD, to check for errors, so that I don’t have to watch each of my back-ups from beginning to end to check for errors. Having to watch each back-up is too much like work, and takes the enjoyment out watching my movies.

I used DVD Shrink (via Nero) to burn one of the movies, And DVD Fab to burn the second one.[/QUOTE]

skipping and freezing can be related to two factors…
Low top poor quality media being used and/or burning to fast, since you say your using DVDFab I suggest you set DVDFab to use ImgBurn as the burn engine…please see guide below called “Settings”.

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2508686]Did you rip with shrink?[/QUOTE]
I ripped one movie with DVD Shrink and the other with DVDFab. To avoid confusion it’s probably better to deal with one movie at a time, right? So for the rest of your questions, my answers will only pertain to the movie I ripped with DVDShrink and burned with Nero 7.

Any ner0 burn logs?

I Googled “Nero burn log” and found this web page:

[U][B]How to post your Nero burn log[/B][/U]

So I searched my HD for [B]nerohistory.log[/B], but couldn’t find anything.

Can you tell me how I could set Nero 7 so it will save a burn log when I’m using DVDShrink to call Nero and burn the DVD?

What media, burn speed?..

Memorex DVD-R 16X 4.7 GB 120 min

.What media, burn speed?

8X

You could try Nero’s Discspeed, to scan your burned media.

I looked up Nero Discspeed and from what I could find out about it, I fear that I may not have the technical expertise to understand how to use it. I’m an old duffer with cognitive deficits from nearly twenty years of chronic illness, so I now function mentally at about the level of a slow fourth grader.

Maybe try ripping with Fab and Imgburn to burn…[

That’s a good idea! I already have DVD Fab configured to call ImgBurn. I’ll give it a shot.

In the meantime, I’m about ready to order more burnable DVDs. A while back I think I was advised by the folks in this forum to get Verbatim DVD-Rs. Did I get that right?

[QUOTE=Clueless in Seattle;2510434]
In the meantime, I’m about ready to order more burnable DVDs. A while back I think I was advised by the folks in this forum to get Verbatim DVD-Rs. Did I get that right?[/QUOTE]

Yep. :iagree:

Try a couple of the Verbies, when they arrive, with the exact same settings you’re using now, and if they have problems at exactly the same place, we can probably rule out the media. :slight_smile:

8x is a good, safe bet for burn speeds IMO.

What model burner is it that you have?

99.9% of the time, using Verbies or TY discs, I never have a problem burning straight to disc with DVDFab (Platinum). Any problems I do have are either crappy media or user error (i.e. something in DVDFab not set correctly by me). :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply, StormJumper. I’ve been under the weather for a nearly a week, but I’m feeling better today, so I’m ready again to tackle this project and try to make some headway.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2508687]skipping and freezing can be related to two factors…
Low top poor quality media being used and/or burning to fast, since you say your using DVDFab I suggest you set DVDFab to use ImgBurn as the burn engine…please see guide below called “Settings”.[/QUOTE]

I checked my installation of DVDFab and found that I had already set it to automatically call ImgBurn. My memory is so bad these days that I can’t remember from one day to the next what I’ve done and haven’t done anymore.

I had DVDShrink set to burn at 8X. I’ll try it at a lower speed to see if that helps.

I’m guessing you meant to type “Low to poor quality media.” I suspect that that could be the culprit. I’m using Memorex DVD-Rs. I bought them because they were cheap, but perhaps I’ve ended up paying a high price for my false economy.

It’s just about time for me to order a new batch of disks so I’d appreciate your recommendation of the best brand.

Yo-

Add my vote for using Verbatim 16x DVD +R’s for a reasonably priced disc with exceptional burning qualities-eh!!

(easy to find at Best Buy, Office Max or online at www.newegg.com or www.rima.com)

[QUOTE=Arachne;2510435]What model burner is it that you have?[/QUOTE]

In Windows Explorer I right clicked on the DVD RW drive, and then clicked on Properties and here’s what it says there:

[B]NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A

[/B]

]99.9% of the time, using Verbies or TY discs, I never have a problem burning straight to disc with DVDFab (Platinum). Any problems I do have are either crappy media or user error (i.e. something in DVDFab not set correctly by me). :slight_smile:

I just tried re-burning the same movie, but using DVDFab6 and ImgBurn this time, and it seems to have come out just fine. At least the part of the movie that was all messed up before plays fine now.

I tried to figure out how to set the burn speed using that DVDFab/ImgBurn combo, but couldn’t find where to set it. The number of setting was overwhelming. I wonder if there are some screen shots showing suggested or recommended settings.

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2510453]Add my vote for using Verbatim 16x DVD +R’s for a reasonably priced disc with exceptional burning qualities-eh!!)[/QUOTE]

Oops! [B]Plus[/B] Rs, not [B]Minus[/B] Rs?

I just ordered a hundred minus Rs. :eek:

Oops! Plus Rs, not Minus Rs?

I just ordered a hundred minus Rs.

You should be fine with those DVD-R’s…

I tried to figure out how to set the burn speed using that DVDFab/ImgBurn combo, but couldn’t find where to set it.

I normally rip to HDD and then burn(externally), but you might read through this guide…Hope it helps!..If someone else has a better suggestion, I’m all ears!..Good luck!

[QUOTE=Clueless in Seattle;2510481]Oops! [B]Plus[/B] Rs, not [B]Minus[/B] Rs?

I just ordered a hundred minus Rs. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Yo Clueless-

With that NEC 3550 - using -R’s should be ok - just make sure that you limit your recording speed to 8x-eh!!

Even 8x may be to fast for that “I’m using Memorex DVD-Rs.” …

Firmware update, in case you need it: http://support.necam.com/Optical/downloads/FlashFirmware/

Since you have a used burner a good cleaning might be in order.
With at least some canned air.
A better cleaning depends or your capabilities.
Some advise against using a cleaning disk.I’ve never had trouble with one so I use mine.
While doing a burn use your Windows Task Manager/Performance to see how much CPU & memory you are using when burning.Try 8X again first then 6X. Don’t multitask while doing the burn.
Watch here on the myce forum for good deals on Verbatim online & sometimes locally.Usually if there is one it gets posted.
For the ImgBurn write speed the setting is on the right lower side of the write mode window under Settings.If you use the log window also then it will be above it.

For the ImgBurn write speed the setting is on the right lower side of the write mode window under Settings.If you use the log window also then it will be above it.

AFAIK, if using the DVDfab/Imgburn combo burn, it reverts to Max burn speed…Unless you configure as per guide…I normally burn externally, but it’s happened to me in the past when using Imgburn within DVDfab…

Here are the setting to use when you use fab and imgburn http://club.myce.com/f116/dvdfab-imgburn-310414/#post2283364

Since I only have DVDFab free it doesn’t burn or compress.So I didn’t know how it worked on DVDfab/Imgburn combo burn.I read the guide in the link & it is good information to know about ImgBurn. I usually use ImgBurn externally as well for burning so the speed setting is available. Both in Write mode & Build mode.
Write mode if using an .iso or Build mode for DVD files.
StormJumper’s guide (in Jimbo’s link)should be good for setting up the full version of DVDFab to burn with ImgBurn.
t0nee1’s link has good images of setting “Automatic Write Speed” in ImgBurn. Which should be the same whether done in Write or Build mode.

Yeah, good guide(s) to follow!..I have the full DVDfab but prefer burning externally, none the less!..:cool:

Thanks, all of you, for all that useful info!

I’ve burned a couple more back-ups at 6x and they seem to have come out fine. (I only spot checked them, so I can’t say for sure until I watch them from beginning to end one of these nights).

I’m severely limited in how much time I’m able to spend sitting up at the computer – 45 minutes is usually my limit – and just keeping up with my basic tasks of daily living is always a challenge for me, so I’m really grateful to all of you for all the help you’ve given me (and for being so patient with me!)

It’ll take me a few days to absorb and integrate all the info you’ve provided me. My next project is going to be to try a re-burn of that “Days of Heaven” DVD that failed the first time around. I’ll let you know how I make out.

Thanks again for all the help!

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2510960]AFAIK, if using the DVDfab/Imgburn combo burn, it reverts to Max burn speed…Unless you configure as per guide…I normally burn externally, but it’s happened to me in the past when using Imgburn within DVDfab…

The guide says I need something called a DVD-R manufacturer I.D. code. But it doesn’t tell how to obtain one. I Goggled around and found a program called DVDInfoPro which I’m downloading (via dial-up, urk!) as I type this.

And, in an interesting coincidence,a web page that showed an old Memorex ID, also had a number of posts about Memorex DVDs failing near the outer edge due to shoddy manufacture. The solution seems to be to use them only for movies that won’t take up the whole DVD.

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/109488-Memorex-DVD-R-macroblocks

So this turns out to be an old and well-known problem.

Live and learn, I always say.

Thanks again for you sufferance,

ImgBurn will show you the manufacturer ID code. When in Build mode, click on the Device tab on the right hand side of the window. It will show up as Disc ID.

The id code will also show up in other areas of ImgBurn…the Discovery mode for example. No real need for DVDInfo Pro…ugh…I may have to wash my keyboard off after typing that program’s name.