DVD Authoring Tools....sigh

Hi everyone,

This is my first posting here.

Okay, here’s another question about DVD authoring tools. I have a bunch of tv serials that need to be burned into DVDs. So far have tested a few but none are satisfactory…you get something cool but you also lose something else… not cool at all :frowning:

FAVC:

• very user unfriendly and no indication of whether files have exceeded disk capacity

Xilisoft DVD creator:

• no audio gain control
  • has that pesky audio/video out-of-sync problem

Sothink DVD maker:

• no menu builder

Aimersoft DVD creator:

• limited video quality control and file resizing options. I need to burn several episodes into each disk but I am only limied to to 122 minutes on low quality setting.

I have already converted the original rmvb files into mp4 with low bitrates of 900kbs, each file was only about 300Mb and 40minutes playtime but Aimersoft just based everything on the duration. So I am only limited to 3 episodes per disk. I have seen some DVDs with as many as 7 to 8 episodes although quality was not great but I can live with that.

Basically, I need a tool that can do the following:

• menu builder
  • has audio volume adjustment (eg. gain)
  • allows me to cramp several hours of video into one DVD

Hope I am not asking for too much here :slight_smile:

Can anyone help? Tweaking with the above mentioned software will be the best option as I am tired of trying out other tools now.

Have a look at DVDFab now upto version 6

With the simple dvd conversion/authoring programs, you are not going to get much control on audio. FAVC at least allows you to normalize the audio, but I am not familiar with the other two programs.

In fact the only program you’ve mentioned that’s worth spit is FAVC. You may be tired of trying new ones, but there are a couple of others that offer good quality conversions, DVDFlick and AVStoDVD.

I don’t understand your problem with disk capacity and FAVC. FAVC will adjust bitrate of the mpeg2 it is producing, in order to fit your target dvd.

I have been pretty darn happy with my Magix Movie Edit Pro. I have an older version (11)… & once i discovered the magic of Taiyo Yuden premium DVD-R’s I have not had ONE issue with my Magix software. I use it for all my .avi movies and tv shows, etc.

It allows you to create your own menus, opening video/audio… actual audio track adjustment volume up or down… all kinds of tweaks. Pretty user friendly too. (i am not a tech wiz by any stretch)

find a deal on an older version online maybe?

anyway, that’s the one that i use all the time and am very happy with it.

Peace,
The Buk

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2287936]
I don’t understand your problem with disk capacity and FAVC. FAVC will adjust bitrate of the mpeg2 it is producing, in order to fit your target dvd.[/QUOTE]

Hi Kerry56,

Hmmm…most DVD authoring tools have some kind of meters to indicate how much DVD space has been taken up when I add each video file. I don’t see that in FAVC.

Do you mean that FAVC will keep on reducing the bitrate to fit into the disk and will not cap the amount of files I add?

As far as I am aware, yes FAVC will continue to adjust the bitrate. But from what I remember, it will only allow 8 separate videos as input.

And once you drop mpeg2 bitrate down in the 2000-2500 kbps range, your quality is going down the tubes. Mpeg2 just isn’t optimized for low bitrate encoding. The HCenc encoder will do a better job with this than anything else you’ve mentioned, but you can’t expect good results.

Do you mean that FAVC will keep on reducing the bitrate to fit into the disk and will not cap the amount of files I add?

I made a DVD of 8 45 minute episodes and it handled it just fine. Picture quality was pretty bad, but that was just to see if it would. Go for 2 or 3 hours per disk and use the HCEnc encoder and it does a real nice job.

Ok thanks everyone for your replies. I will try out the suggestions and see if they work for me.

PS: Some think FAVC ver. 1.06 works a bit better than 1.07.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2288523]PS: Some think FAVC ver. 1.06 works a bit better than 1.07.[/QUOTE]
Better means that 1.07 will always re-encode even DVD compliant audio (1.06 does not), eg if you have 6 channel 5.1 you’ll end up with 2 channel. Either way it’s best to save the working files as sometimes a working DVD won’t be created, no IFOs.

You can pop the working files into Rejig’s DVD Author option to create the final DVD.

Better means that 1.07 will always re-encode even DVD compliant audio (1.06 does not),

Thanks. I’d always used it to author from my Hauppauge PVR and never noticed a difference.