DVD-Audio to SACD is it possible?

vbimport

Hello all,
Anyone know if there is a way to rip a DVD-Audio Disc, convert it to a SACD and then burn it? My damn Sony DVD player wont play DVD-Audio, but it will play a SACD of course. I want to convert my STP DVD to SACD and see how it sounds. Thanks for any help you can give!!

I don’t quite follow what a “STP DVD” is (DVD-V?) and hence the connection with DVD-A. If you had a DVD-A, there are a variety of options for capturing both digital and analogue outputs, but you don’t have the player (or is it that you don’t have a stand-alone player?). Otherwise, you are limited to diving in and grabbing files - and I’m not sure of the formats that you will be able to see on a PC. Next problem: do you have a SACD authoring package that will take care of the compression and the surround-sound aspect? I personally haven’t heard of SACD burners. You should however be able to play a stereo CD-R on your SACD player.

i’ll give you the correct answer… no… not at this time and likely never

properly ripping the DVD-A may eventually be possible (at this time it’s not possible in the way CD ripping is possible) howeverSACD burners don’t exist and probably never will

My understanding is that DVD-A players will output lower resolution (CD quality) audio over digital than they will over analogue. Some of them will only do stereo digital, whereas others will do surround-sound. Plug those outputs into some other recorder, and you have a copy. Even better, work out a way to intercept that digital stream on a PC player, and you have a “rip”.

yeah… i’d rather wait until DVD-A encryption is cracked and proper ripping software exists

My guess: STP == Stone Temple Pilots?

Thanks for all the 411 guys, and yes “STP” = Stone Temple Pilots. Its a great DVD-A Disc but I am a Sony whore and wont buy anything else, and we all know that Sony will never make a player that will handle DVD-A. So I guess if I want to hear it properly I will have to buy a Denon DVD player, OMG I can’t believe I said that…

SACD is a higher quality format than DVD-A (although they are both far superior to CD-A). SACD also uses Direct Stream Digital, which requires fairly new and VERY expensive recording equipment that not even all recording studios have yet. SACD is a proprietary, protected format so you really have to buy a disc already in that format to get it. Even some of the “SACD” discs are not “true”, as they may not use DSD (they may pass through a high-end analog phase–true DSD is only analog on the original master, if then((new recording are pure digital, older ones are converted from superb analog master tape)).
My opinion is SACD is much like BetaMax–the better audio format, but it appears DVD-A may become more popular because it plays on a DVD player (only in Dolby Digital 5.1, which is very compressed crappy sound, but gives you surround sound). You still need a true DVD-A player to get the high-bitrate DVD-A, but many people seem happy with basically DVD sound from an audio CD (not even as good as CD-A, but in 5.1 surround).

what are you guys on about? where have you been? DVD Audio rip has been possible for ages now…never heard of explorer? it a little gem save to wav or the mlp file…once that done you can wma pro them or flac them or ogg them…blimey …wake up…
sacd to dvd audio has been around a while now…but the other way round? yeah good luck with that -are you rich enough for that stuff…all sacds are pressed anyway not burnt…most are hybrids which means they are welded -top layer standard cd welded to the bottom layer…good luck with that…btw story going around that dsd to pcm has been happening…ok so rip yer DVD A into a flac or wma pro and enjoy on 5.1 speaker setup on yer pc…

[QUOTE=bobchewie;2408137]what are you guys on about? where have you been? DVD Audio rip has been possible for ages now…never heard of explorer? it a little gem save to wav or the mlp file…once that done you can wma pro them or flac them or ogg them…blimey …wake up…
sacd to dvd audio has been around a while now…but the other way round? yeah good luck with that -are you rich enough for that stuff…all sacds are pressed anyway not burnt…most are hybrids which means they are welded -top layer standard cd welded to the bottom layer…good luck with that…btw story going around that dsd to pcm has been happening…ok so rip yer DVD A into a flac or wma pro and enjoy on 5.1 speaker setup on yer pc…[/QUOTE]

No need to ressurrect an more than 4 year old and dead thread…