DVD+Audio, (not DVD-A) a new format for audio enjoyment

I just posted the article DVD+Audio, (not DVD-A) a new format for audio enjoyment.

harlequin used our news submit        to tell us about a new  DVD-Video compliant format that enables us to create some high quality or high capacity  music discs, that play on a DVD...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7896-DVDAudio-not-DVD-A-a-new-format-for-audio-enjoyment.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7896-DVDAudio-not-DVD-A-a-new-format-for-audio-enjoyment.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

So basically I put my CDs on a DVD and itll upsample for me… Alright… I guess its revolutionary that you don’t have to buy anything new. /MLS

When audio is placed onto a standard DVD layer, using the DVD video’s specs to provide the audio content, the product is generally called a “DAD”, or Digital Audio Disc. Several companies rolled out DADs before SACD and DVD-A were invented (I’ve got a pair of Sam Phillips DADs right here). So this is not a new idea. The question is how well they’ve automated the process of creating a DAD. The synopsis of the program on their website does not provide enough information to tell if they’ve done anything more than any DVD authoring program can already do. Any DVD authoring program can upsample WAVs to the DVD specs. So, does this software do anything more, such as automatically create chapters (make each song a chapter) and basic menu controls? I’m not going to test it myself, but I am curious to hear about how well or poorly they’ve done this.

heh skeptical. ‘Upsampling’ to give you better sound quality? Give me a break. I hope I’m just reading this wrong, and missing the point :stuck_out_tongue: ::

Every song become a new chapter, every album is a seperate title set. And it’s not just upsampling, but it’s the way things are upsampled and that really makes a big difference. Try it, you’ll be amazed in the quality improvement!.

Lest we forget…you can’t put back what’s already been taken out…therefore the quality improvements (if there are genuinely any) would logically come from somewhere else, or be for some other reason. Personally I never play music at home myself (just on the radio in the car), so I’ll leave this for someone else to experiment with and report back.

this has to be bullshit imo. you cannot make anything sound better then the quality it has. its like converting a mp3 track to cdda, it wont sound any better, but your cd player will read it. not worth trying even imo

IMO, if u start with cd quality, no amount of upsampling can make it sound tighter than it was before. I think the only gimmick that can make it sound different is by applying DSPs and equalisations like reverb etc which frankly, if I wanted, could do myself. So to me, the only benefit is is having a disc which holds more audio. My car cd mp3 player already does that, and besides, it won’t read dvd either.

There is much better quality out there then CD’S we thought the same about vhs tapes we thought they could never get any better then DVD’S came along im sure in time CD quality will be something of the passed

X43 you are correct, however, to say that you can take a CD, upsample it and write it to a DVD+A disc and it’ll sound better is rediculous. The only way possible is if there is some kind of software interpolation to fill in the “missing” data, however, I don’t believe that software has gotten that good, yet. Now, if someone were to release a pressed DVD+A disc, then I could reasonably expect that the quality will be better than CD, as long as they kept the quality higher during the entire production process because if there is anywhere in the production process where the quality is at the same level as a CD (i.e. 16 bit, whatever CD sampling rate is, etc.) the production crew will have to do the upsampling and you won’t get anybetter quality than if it was released to CD and the end user upsampling it using this program. Not to mention that anyone releasing pressed DVD+A’s at this time will be highly unlikely because most people have portable CD players, car CD players, as well as CD changers at home, they are not likely, yet, to have portable DVD players, car DVD players and the majority of people do not hook up their home DVD players into their stereos and I, for one, do not like the quality of the sound of music coming from a TV (though TV’s have gotten a LOT better). Not trying to argue with you, just trying to explain why others see this as a gimmick at this point in time. DVD+A will probably be the wave of the future, I would love to replace CD changers with a single DVD+A in the dash of cars, but for now DVD+A’s use is quite limited. I’m sure DVD+A will be made to be compatible to the DL DVD’s coming soon and the capacity of DVD+A’s will increase to that much more and probably will compete favorably with standalone MP3 players for home and portable (including car) use, and it could also work alongside the MP3 format allowing even more storage of music on a single disc, just like a lot of new CD players can recognize and play the MP3 format on burned discs.

This is cool. Being able to throw on a bunch of MP3s onto a DVD. Sure beats burning a **** load of CDs. [descriptive measurement removed] :wink:
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 09.03.2004 17:14]

hmm… actually… if you you really dig deep into the sound codecs… sound cards… especially the AC97 based sound cards… they do things @48khz… the crappy aproximation method that the codecs use are inaccurate and produces a lot of noise… so if you try to play something with a sampling rate of 44.1khz… there will be performance degradation. of course… that doesn’t happen if you have a good sound card… nforce2 soundstorm… audigy… etc etc… in which the hardware itself does the resampling if needed… but usually the hardware simply supports 44.1khz so it won’t need to resample anything… if you use a good s/w to upsample things… the approximation of the sound will be much more accurate and the codec won’t need to resample… which results in the same quality… YOU DON’T ACTUALLY GAIN BETTER SOUND… you simply get to listen at the quality you’re suppose to hear if you have a good sound card in the first place… so i think those who claim to have better sound should thing again… did you get better sounds by upsampling? or did you get better sound by skipping the crappy aproximation upsampling of yoru codec?

ah… as an additional insight… i think most players have crappy approximation processes that make you hear poor sounding stuff… so by using an “exact” software to upsample things… you’ll get better quality… but not bcoz you you upsampled it… but it’s bcoz you skip something degrages the sound

It’s easier to try it with some good quality audio CD to check the results :wink:

hey hey - upsampling has one advantage & its not to make the audio better - it is to release the limitation of a 22,050hz (44.1khz) ceiling. the headroom in a sampling rate of 88.2khz which has a 44,100 hz ceiling allows a much smoother sonic renedering of the high audio frequencies that already exist on the cd - it is absolutely noticeable - maybe not thru this software mentioned here but by simply playing back a store bought cd & going digital out of the cd player into an upsampler to 24/88.2 - less crowded in sonics the higher sampling rate leaves more room for all sounds to come through - i guess some people just cant hear it - in a day when everyone is content to take a cd full of 128kbps mp3’s & play them back thru thier car cassette adapter; well, i just expect too many people to hear the benefits. one thing i believe in: 44.1 to 88.2 is better than 44.1 to 96 - the numbers just work out better…you can try to upsample a cd ripped track in sound forge or wavelab to hear the difference if your sound card can playback those sampling rates - but it is more noticeable when upsampling in realtime…

My Phillips 727 can play a DVD±R/W burned to the brim full of any kind of mp3 cbr/vbr with no problems whar so ever, and if thier are any .jpg’s it can display them and play the music at the same time. And it plays DVD-Audio without ever mentioning it on the box. All for under $100 us dollars.

100 dollars

I read only sceptical remarks but non of you actually tried it i’am afraid so instead of claiming it’s bull***t why don’t you try it and hear it for yourself?? Just a bit cynical that’s all, i remember back in the dvd2one days everybody tought it was bull***t too, when we claimed we could do it within half an hour, and the rest is history! :smiley: [expletve modified]
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 10.03.2004 14:20]

Rip your CD’s as 48kHz wav’s, 1536kb/s (Easy CD-DVD Extractor) Create black (352x288) m2v’s with TMPGEnc Plus at a very low bitrate (I use CBR 100kb/s ) to each track. Import them into TMPGEnc DVD Author. It’s a long process but I can put 5 CD’s on a DVDR with a very simple menu

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193049&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40