DVD audio is stuttering but video is ok

hi…

OS = WinXP SP3

problem:

store bought DVD’s play back with stuttering audio but perfect picture

in Power DVD8 in sounds like a helicopter (very fast and consistent chopping sound)

in DVD X player it starts off ok and then goes to a similar problem after a minute or so…

i ripped the DVD to one of the Hard Discs using DVD decrypter but the same problem remains so i doubt the DVD player has anything to do with it…

i checked my DMA settings in Device Manager and they look correct…
Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA where available
Current transfer Mode: ULTRA DMA5 or 4 depending on the drive

i reinstalled XP in another partition without SP3 and just the bare minumum drivers with Power DVD 8 but it’s the same…

the really frustrating thing is i had it all working a week ago, got a nasty malware infection, then had to reinstall the OS from an older disc image before i had Power DVD 8 installed, so i reinstalled Power DVD 8 after image restored and now it won’t work… initially, i had to tweak a setting (which i can’t remember) in power DVD 8 but i’ve since tweaked and re-tweaked and can’t get it going…

what can i try now ?? i haven’t unistalled/reinstalled the IDE drivers yet… should i try that ? remember, i’ve tried it on 3 separate installs of XP across different partitions on the same system and it’s all the same…

sorry for the length… but does anyone have any suggestions ?

thanks,

Shaun.

What are your PC specs? If your PC is underpowered, for example, audio will have issues before video. You can also try another player such as VLC or MPCHC.

initially, i had to tweak a setting (which i can’t remember) in power DVD 8 but i’ve since tweaked and re-tweaked and can’t get it going…

Look for and tweak Hardware Acceleration. Turn off or go lower.

the PC isn’t under spec’d. i can’t work out how to put it all in a signature at the bottom of each post but its an Intel Core 2 Due 1.8Ghz CPU, Gigabyte GA-P35-S3 mobo, 2 GB ram, pioneer A11XLB combo (IDE), seasonic S12 power supply, 3 SATA HD’s

i’ve tried the hardware acceleration tweak on and off along with pretty much every other combo of tweaks in there and it doesn’t change… all you notice is that for a second or so it works ok then the choppy audio comes straight back…

i’ll try VLC & compare… thanks for the suggestions so far…

What about the sound card drivers? Maybe uninstall and then reinstall.

Try dxdiag at ‘Run’.

i forgot to mention this in the opening post, but dxdiag shows no errors…

re: audio card drivers, i’ve reinstalled WINXP totally on another partition with just the MOBO drivers, Nvidia dispaly drivers, and the DVD player apps… i can reinstall them but i think the fresh install of XP would have ruled that out…

it seems like a buffer problem… for eg: when i slow down the playback speed you see everything slow down and the pitch of the audio drops but the choppy sound clears up… i can still hear glitchy crackle type noises but no helicoptors…

it just doesn’t make any sense why it’s so stubborn to resolve… will install VLC when i get home and see what happens… but i’m just about ready to throw it out the window… :a