DVD AND CD recorder?

vbimport

Well this is such a newbie question I’m probably gonna be thrown straight off the forum but anyway: stand-alone DVD recorders only ever seem to cite various DVD formats as compatible recording media in their specs. Is this simply because they can’t record onto CD, or (less likely, I guess) because the manufacturers don’t think it worth mentioning that they can? Are there any out there that I can use for straightforward CD recording as well as to DVD? Especially, are there any DVD/hard disc recorders that also write to CD?

Thanks for any input.

impudicus

The LiteOn LVM-5005 with ‘All Write’ can write to CD-R and CD-RW, allowing the user to make VCDs, S-VCDs, etc. as well as audio CDs. This is in addition to writing video to DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW.

WormGuy

Hey,WormGuy, thanks for that top tip, and sorry to be slow to reply! Will look into the LiteOn, it may well hit the spot.
Cheers, Impudicus

Dear Impudicus,

I have done some experimenting with the audio CD recording on the LVM-5005, and at least my unit the audio quality of the recordings is ‘flat’. That is, the upper frequencies seem muted compared to the original. If I use a DV camcorder to run the sound in through the DV input, the same poor audio quality results. My conclusion is that whatever process generates the audio stream that gets written to the CD (i.e. the 44.1 kHz digital sampler) does not do a very good job at all. In addition, the connections I used set up some kind of feedback that generated a quiet (but audible) buzzing sound that correlated with the display on the front display panel of the LVM-5005.

If I use my DV camcorder to pass the sound to my computer and then capture the audio via my FireWire card (i.e. by recording a video file then taking the audio portion and downsampling to 44.1 kHz) the sound quality is indistinguishable from the original source. So it is the LVM-5005 that is the problem, not the source.

My recommendation would be that unless you would be okay with rather flat-sounding CDs, go with another recorder for CDs.

WormGuy

There is an old saying which describes a person as a “Jack of all trades but a master of none”. It means he does a little of everything … but nothing very well. There is an element of that in the “All-Write” 5005.

The 5005 is a bargain of versatility and decent quality. But the more I use and read about it, the more I understand why some people knock it.

1. It breaks the rules by recording both DVD+ and DVD- in VR mode. As I understand “the rules”, recording DVD- in VR mode can confuse playback equipment and add an additional twist to the already-complicated issue of recordable DVD playback. (DVD-R is “supposed” to be recorded in DVD-Video mode, and DVD+R in VR mode).

2. VCD and SVCD recording is a great “plus” at minimal additional cost. The quality of the recordings is even decent considering the bandwidth. But there is little flexibility … for instance, each track is automatically labelled with the date and time, and there is no way to change it the way you can with DVD. Perhaps this is, as I noted above, because all DVD’s are recorded in an ‘editable’ format. Dunno … the Panasonic DVD-R standalones allow after-the-fact title editing on DVD-R video discs.

3. Audio CD recording lacks the features that, on standalone audio CD recorders, make it useful: digital audio (S/PDIF) input, automatic track marker insertion (from either digital or analog sources) and, accoding to the post above, decent audio fidelity.

4. The TV tuner is finicky, requires manual setup and tweaking, and tunes only in mono. If, as many people do, you are recording from a digital cable or satellite box, you are going to use the A/V inputs anyway and this does not matter too much.

5. Firmware bugs requiring frequent updates. The hallmark of devices engineered in China. Complicated here by the existence of at least 2 hardware varieties with different feature sets (e.g. some support 3-hour recording, others do not even with new firmware) and changing firmware binary formats.

All that said … it’s a great adjunct to my stable of A/V equipment.