DVD and Blu Ray sales dropping quickly

The problem with Netflix is that they are geo-locked & dictated by each countries’ policies as to what is offered in that country. Example: USA Netflix has 574+ million TV shows/movies/documentaries. Canada Netflix only has 50, 000 TV shows/movies/documentaries because our stupid asinine government won’t allow it & wants more Canadian content.

Amazon Prime mostly has movies from ‘The Asylum’ production company (worst on the planet & should be exterminated with a global kill staff on sight law) :slight_smile:
They recently started adding better movie selection but at a higher additional price through another revenue source. Thanks to Disney(Fox) pulling all their stuff from other streaming services, everyone is postioning themselves to corner niche markets.

Netflix was never a one stop solution for content, IMO. I found it was too over priced and did not offer enough new, quality content to keep me as a subscriber. They also decided to go woke with a lot of their content and that caused a lot of users to bail on them. Right now Neflix is drowning in debt and Disney is taking a big slice of their user base and putting a lot of financial pressure on them. I subscribe to Disney for the time being and for $13 per month I get all of Disney’s catalog (Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, National Geographic etc.), Hulu and ESPN. I see myself dropping it at some point when I have watched all I want or the grand kids aren’t interested in it any longer.

At some point in the future these streaming services will have to combine. This has happened to a large extent in the music industry where the same content is available from multiple streaming services. The days of consumers paying for channels they never watch is coming to an end.

1 Like

but you will eventually pay $120+/month for content you don’t watch. channels or movies - same thing. as the industry consolidates we are back to cable like packages again. just a different type of delivery, but concept is the same.

all i really want is a single UI where i can purchase “channels” of content i generally like with no commitments except a monthly fee, and for content i truly want to own, buy and download and store it in the best possible resolution and audio formats available. stream lower quality download highest quality. happy to pay $30 for a UHD download that is same quality as a UHD disc, or just pay a monthly to rent the streaming version. most people won’t as they don’t have that kind of storage.

in the end it is all about control. you pay a perpetual license to watch until such time as you don’t or the provider takes the content away. how many times has that happened.

I think video will follow the current music model where the same content will be offered by many suppliers. There is a chance that many content makers coalesce around a single service but I don’t think this is likely. We pay around $33 per month for Disney ($13) and Philo ($20) and I see us dropping Disney sometime this year. Philo is a very good provider and gives access to the best cable channels through a choice of a $16 or $20 package. Local channels come from an antenna and gets distributed to all our TVs through the Plex app. Another great device for getting a massive amount of free content is a Roku box. It is so good that all the TVs we have bought in the past year use the Roku operating system.

1 Like

I stopped buying DVD/Blu-ray awhile ago. It’s not about storage space for me (I stick my discs in those Case Logic 300-disc binders anyway). I hate waiting on shipping and I just don’t think there are a lot of really interesting movies coming out anymore. I really only will buy them now if it’s something I know I will watch 500 times like James Bond. I just think it’s easier to buy something on Vudu, have it instantly and it can be streamed on my phone, my iPod, my laptop, my Xbox and Roku. The quality of course is not the same as a disc, but it’s watchable and I can’t really see any issues with Vudu HDX quality. The only problem I have ever had with Vudu was when a movie I redeemed an “instawatch” code for was removed from my library because I guess when Fandango bought Vudu, they said those “instawatch” codes are not supported. That’s the only real downside to digital is you don’t have any control over the content so these movie companies can pretty much remove it at will and you have to live with it. I saw a Seagate 16tb HDD advertised for $300 the other day. I remember when a Seagate 1tb used to cost that much. With HDDs as cheap as they are, I’m surprised more people don’t just do rips of their discs and watch it through Plex.

1 Like

I will still buy DVD not BD they are expensive paper weight that does little to improve Watch-ability and enjoyment when DVD does just perfectly fine. Your benefits are lost when you have not invested in the hardware to benefit from BD playback. HDD fails least one forgets and recover is next to impossible. DVD you can copy and playback on another device. HDD once gone is gone let’s that be known here. I can copy my DVD/BD many time over from original and that will remain mint condition. HDD isn’t mind condition and hardware wears out over time turning over and over.

That is still expensive…$300 isn’t cheap if it was $150 that would be cheap storage but I distrust Seagate for many other reasons of their poor track record history. I would get their Archival v2 HDD before going that route. I have 3 of those and they work for what they do.

A 16TB HDD costing $300 is cheaper than buying DVD+R SL media to cover that amount of storage.
16TB = 3404 DVD+R SL media
100pk of Verbatim DVD+R SL = $20.30 on Amazon USA
34 of 100Pk DVD+R SL = $691.01

You could buy 2x 16TB HDD for that price, and that’s not even mentioning the speed of DVD vs HDD

What about the relaibility of the hard drive?
What if it fails?
It can fail completely and then your data is lost. (warranty does not even matter in this case)
The importance of your data most likely exceeds those 300$ that you have spend on it.
I would avoid hard drive, usb sticks and ssd’s as reliable means of backup.

The bigger the drive the bigger the lost data :wink:

For my biggest amounts of data I have always the data on 2 HDDs, different model/manufacturer. Never had a double failure.

But you have to take care of this, some of my older HDDs failed after 10+ years while most of my optical media with similar age still works

Best way is to copy the data after several years to a new media

Everyone has different backup needs.
Optical media isn’t an option for me.
I regularly have data sets exceeding 80GB to store safely, and that isn’t something I’d like to commit to optical media. I would have to span the backup over several media, and that isn’t safe as only a single media has to fail to lose the lot.
Plus, I don’t have the patience to wait for a backup to take place on optical media. I would end up not making any backups at all.

I built my own NAS server, connected to my 10G wired network.
It has 6x Seagate Ironwolf HDD in a RAID array with two drive redundancy. Two drives would have to fail before I lost any data. An app on my phone would tell me if a drive in the RAID array had failed, so I could replace a failed drive in good time. It also has a 250GB NVMe SSD which acts as a cache drive to make sure speed isn’t a problem.

I can do my video editing (for example). I keep what I’m working on stored on my main PC which is also my video editing workstation. Then send a backup to my server. I can copy that 80GB of data to the NAS in about 2 minutes.

There is a reason optical media is on the way out, and just because a few people still believe its the best option for backup, doesn’t make that a fact. Certainly not where very large data sets need to be backed up regularly.

2 Likes

No one is debating that different backup mediums are appropriate for different purposes.

But a few scenarios of where CD-R/DVD-R/BD-R are a much better choice than other options:

1. Videos. Yes, SD cards might be the next great thing but a lot of people are going to be sorely disappointed when their TLC-based (or QLC even!) SD cards cease to function. Good luck finding MLC USB memory sticks or SD cards today. They exist, but they are more expensive.

Additionally, when you want to watch a film, like for example when the internet goes out or when you know you’re going somewhere with no (or limited) internet access, you grab what you want off your shelf and take it with you. You only need a player to view them. SD cards cannot be labelled and transported in this fashion, because you will lose track of what’s on what. This is because of human nature, and the tendency towards coincidence when viewing video entertainment. SD cards take away the mythos and magic of the activity.

1. Small backups. Yes, you mention you’re doing 80GB+ backups, and certainly a RAID5 solution is probably much more desirable, but for someone with a monthly backup regimen for their personal computer, there is software out there (Formerly produced by Symantec, and now Veritas) which is rather good at generating deltas onto a mechanical HDD (again a TLC SSD would not be a good choice here because of their failure mode vis-à-vis a mechinal HDD’s mode of failure), which you can then burn onto your favortie medium. For someone who is doing this on occasion, optical media is the ideal choice here.

2. Long term archiving. Court documents, taxes, legal documents, receipts, or what have you – these are all best stored on optical discs. It’s an inexpensive and reliable solution.

I agree that optical media might be on its way out, but not because it’s outlived its use, but like many things, because of the stupidity of the public. If it does disappear, it will be another technologic casualty of the soulless minions of orthodoxy.

I’m pretty much at the point where I am trying to minimize the amount of data I have to store away on hard drives, memory sticks, optical discs, etc …

For important stuff, I’ll print out several paper copies.

For really long published documents, I’ll see whether it is available in book form. Sometimes it is less expensive to just buy an actual book, than to print out several hundred pages on my printer. (Published documents which I read frequently).

I still buy dvds and some blurays, for stuff I watch more than 2 or 3 times. (Stuff like as James Bond, Cheech and Chong, MacGyver, etc …). Easy to rip them to the computer, and using a program like vlc to watch them.

I only use hard drives, flash drives, etc … for data which I wouldn’t miss much if the drives died. For example, such as music mp3s, dvd rips, videos, etc …

I’m not arguing the point that optical media as a backup medium is bad. It’s a pretty safe medium for backup, if you can fit the backup onto a single media.
I believe optical is dying out simply because it has limited capacity and its slow. And if you have a lot of backup media it takes up a lot of room.

One thing is for sure. If your going to use HDD for backup, you should not rely on a single HDD. I don’t like having two HDD’s in my RAID array that is redundant . But its a absolute must if you value what could be a huge amount of irreplaceable data.

Optical media is a bit like Vinyl records. It won’t die out. Many people still maintain vinyl records still sound better than a CD. That is subjective, and a totally different debate. But I don’t think optical media will completely die out anytime soon.

I must disagree with this characterization. Vinyl media was viable because tapes were not always necessarily an improvement. A poor quality tape deck with high wow and flutter is inferior to a record player. Your point is only salient in the days where technology progressed in price but regressed in quality.

Take VHS for example. Technologically, VHS was a regression over what was available before it going back almost 50 years. Film from the 1930s and 1940s (and perhaps even the 1920s) produce a picture superior in quality in an order of magnitude over VHS. But the technology that was necessary at the time was geared towards the mass adoption of recording capability. Magnetic tape was the way to go.

Optical media is not comparable in this respect. Optical media is far, far more reliable than silver nitrate film, and there’s no reason why a quality CD, DVD, or bluray disc couldn’t be read in 100 years from now. The limitation is only the availability of the technology to read the disc in the future, and not per se the degradation of the existing media, as is the case with other formats.

You can’t use HDD as an example to prove ODD obsolescence. HDD is a dynamic backup medium. HDDs have moving parts. Bearings have grease in them, grease deteriorates, and then the bearings screech and give out. HDDs are dynamic in the sense that they require constant supervision. You use a RAID 5 array because you get double redundancy. You have IIRC room for two drive failures. Optical media is a permanent storage medium.

Also, sure, it’s nice to have a nice big HDD hooked up to your WLAN, or an assortment of memory cards with your favorite films or videos on them. But watching video entertainment has often more to do with whimsy than it has to do with convenience. I can go on for years without opening something that’s very desirable to watch if it’s stored on the aforementioned media type, but when I have it on a shelf, in a DVD case, with a professionally printed DVD cover, it’s a whole different story. It’s a lifestyle enrichment.

People are dumping their old equipment because they arrive at this fallacious logic. That’s fine with me. I bought a very nice high-end Panasonic bluray player (no UHD support - I don’t need 4K), and I use that for my blurays and I have a seperate DVD player that I use in order not to wear out the Panasonic player too much. I’ve recently also invested in a bluray writing/scanning setup, and I’ve learned a lot of the technical specifics of writing and scanning quality blurays. I am more than certain that this investment will more than pay for itself in the future.

1 Like

I have been backing up data since the early 1990s. I started with tape, then went to zip drives, then to JAZZ drives, to DVDs, blue ray and to HDs. Now I have moved to supplementing HDs with cloud storage. The first three mediums I referenced are deader than a door nail now. No one supports them in the format I used. CDs, DVDs and BEs are moving in the same direction but just slower. Mechanical HDs are too. The only thing you can count on regarding backup mediums is what you use today will be obsolete tomorrow. There is no “better” option, IMO. There is only “what works best TODAY.” I am covered if the cloud goes down, HDs die, SSDs die, my office burns to a cinder etc. This is all that matters to me. I can say that if I were backing up data these days on blue ray discs I would put a bullet in my head. The time waste would be too much to bare. I don’t even want to think about backing up to DVDs. I can say that today I am far, far better protected against data loss than I was in the 1990s.

Personally. I’d rather sit down without the clutter of a DVD shelf in my lounge, and watch a 4K movie streamed from Netflix or from my server. My husband wouldn’t agree with me, but he’s never going to win that argument. :slight_smile:

Exactly. Time is more important to me as well. The less time I have to spend on the chore of making a backup, the more time I have to spend doing things I like to do.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)