DVD and Blu Ray sales dropping quickly

Speeds are skewed by the extremely high speeds that are available in some of the cities. You have to remember that the US is huge in total area compared to most countries. But many rural areas will be lucky to get 20mbps, and some are stuck at much lower speeds. My little town, the highest speed from the cable company is 15mbps, which they can’t actually deliver due to inadequate equipment to meet the demand.

Two years ago, average speed was nearly 20mbps when you took removed the outliers (1gb speeds from Google for example). Right now, I’d say its closer to 25mbps across the country and costs will be in the $50 a month range.

1 Like

We get 1,000 mbps upload and download from FIOS for $100 per month but I need to change our plan as this is now available for $79 per month. The actual speed is usually about 10% better than advertised. FIOS does not share bandwidth between users so every user gets the speed rating they pay for all the time.

Around my area 75mbps for $125.00 a month
Comcast, A T & T does not want to sell you internet only plans so they are higher, you have to get a basic cable TV bundle

Yikes!!!
I kind of thought that the USA would be cheaper for broadband, but my god its expensive.
Like the USA the UK has very mixed speeds. Very fast (1 Gbps ) in most large cities down a few Mbps in some rural areas.

I have FTTC here, but my speed is only around 37 Mbps. It’s an uncapped connection meaning there is no data cap, and I can download as much as I want.
Price £23 per month which also includes the line rental.

if you are in an FTTH area then Sky (for example) will give you 940 Mbps for £46.80 per month

I get 80 down and 40 up for 29.99 from optonline.net

I have 500MBS service the download speeds are great the upload speeds best I can get is 15MBS up for 91.00 a month no cap limits and where I live i am lucky to get that speed.
Charter communications aka in my area called spectrum.

Alan, did you notice your rating? It says you have faster speeds than 93% of the US. Anything near the big cities will have much better service than we get in the sticks.

By the way, your internet service company is Altice, and that same company owns the cable here and can’t provide 15mbps. It is so congested at night, it drops to less than 1mbps.

1. Never implied drivers get smarter… actually the opposite is more possible/plausable.
    also, meant the mfg limit what’s available as buy-able from THEM which limits THEIR liability if something happens.
  2. The rate of deployment of WIRELESS is more of what I’m getting at… in 20 years it will be
    nearly impossible to not have at least a marginal cell signal in a significant portion of the country. Although what is sad is with the popularity of prepaid mvno access… roaming access is not inclusive so one will be tied to the coverage of a single provider and all the carriers don’t have perfectly overlapping footprints.
  3. OTT media is a growing trend. There already is a ‘cable company’ which is jettisoning traditional cable-tv service.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/03/cable-future-may-not-include-tv-as-cable-one-shows.html

Rural subsidies are making their way into not just wire line deployments but wireless too backed by fiber optic deployments. Verizon alone is deploying it’s fiber to back-haul 5g service which will be a combination of small cell low power small footprint (high frequency) and big cell high power (low frequency) big footprint. Affordability will always be an open speculative question.

We will probably always see a niche set of holdouts for physical media (of which I mean bought in a store dvd/blu ray content which kept dedicated video and audio media stores in business). However, as with the elimination of mass production of analog video media, and it’s players/recorders so it will follow that optical players/recorder could be a matter of a decade or a bit more from hitting that fate as well.

Not that smart? remember the recent self driving tesla crash? I think Elon was to
busy getting his buzz to check on their progress Lol [ don’t get me wrong? I don’t think someone getting hurt was funny? ] I was referring to Musk getting his buzz on a radio talk
show because, they had legalized home use of pot.

Flash media loses their charge over the span of ~2 years, the data will be corrupted, whereas optical disc tends to last much longer.

I also don´t trust USB flash media much, to many hardware defects and destroyed file systems

About the only downside to optical is potential for “laser rot” which I have no experienced in several years (over a decade).

Ultimately physical media is dead. It would be great if studios went the way of the music industry - you can stream, and if you want to purchase a copy and download it and play it anywhere (FLAC, MP3, WAV, ALAC, DSD, etc…) you can. This is what convinced me to stop purchasing physical CDs though I still purchase physical SACD, Bluray Audio, DVD-A when no such HD audio alternative exists to download.

For video, we need the same: let us purchase and store our 4K movies if we choose to. And let it have HD Audio and not the compressed Dolby Digital/Atmos (any streaming Atmos is not lossless). The MPAA is always behind the times; the RIAA finally got it.

Unfortunately it’s all about control. How long before Disney starts to put their streaming content into the “vault” as they did with physical, to build up demand? How long before they start charging a premium for “new”, “special” versions or popular titles? Once you cede all ability to control your own media consumption with no other choice, you are screwed. Same is happening to video games albeit slower pace.

Once we are all streaming only across all types of media, the ISPs are going to make a crap load of more money selling you on consumption based plans. Might think about investing in that stock now :wink:

Most manufacturers claim flash memory has a data retention time of ten years. It would likely last longer since read/write cycles for a flash drive with movie content would be extremely low.

Jep, that´s why I use for TV-recording SSDs instead ob USB Flash Drives

Entertainment data is like any other. If it is something a person wants to keep viable for the long term then backups are required. Preferably multiple backups done on the newest recording medium to ensure access to it is maintained.

Jep, it´s like other data. But I think the talk was about a recording-device which causes much written data. Simple USB-Flashdrives aren´t made for lots of writing

I wouldn’t be surprised if they made the flash media read only.

Use USB flash media since 2004 and had many failures, no matter which “manufacturer”, and many of them failed without much write cycles.

No one of it goes read-only, a few wouldn´t be recognized, most of it was shown as not formatted or windows says " Please Insert a Disk into USB Drive"

grafik

So my experience is this type of media is the most unreliable media. It´s OK for transfer data but not for backups

Agree with you. Same goes for hard disks too! Failure rate is high for the common crap peddled by Seagate/WD/etc…

I’ve been buying some server class drives for my home NAS (~200TB, Snapraid, two parity). Had one failure on an older drive and snapraid recovered it nicely; the older cheap drives I used to use have all failed at this point.

This stuff will fail at some point. Shiny plastic discs may actually last longer; the challenged will be finding a drive to read them :wink:

I have been buying 4k blue ray disks for awhile. Naysayers say no way way, I’ll stream. Go ahead, you will never own the media. My way or the highway! LoL!
I may not re-up with my Redfox sub after my 2 years is up. Been a customer for umpteen years, when changing hands but yet again, lost my lifetime subscription. New owners offered empty peanut shells for my past investment.
MKV works ok… So far no media I have done research on will play on a set top box player. Not on my Samsung UHD player either. My PC? No problem. That’s not good enough. I like to backup disks. My grand kids have dirty hands and habits only their parents could love.