DVD and Blu Ray sales dropping quickly

Problem here is ISP subscription and Streaming Subscription are not the same. Your paying for two different cost to have streaming. Nothing is free streaming and comes at a cost. And in the USA not everyone has equal internet access. Where I work DVD/BD are the most circulated materials this is what I see everyday. So my experiences is quite different and streaming isn’t the go to. As I eluded if you have internet at home that is something you must pay for and then pay a steaming service to have streaming. So there are cost people are not looking at and just making bad Assumptions. Even if you have mobile and stream that requires subscription to the streaming service and if you go over your Data limit then you get charge as well and if anyone watches those ads they quickly state if you go over your limit you get throttle or loose that part of your service. So this Article makes it sounds like streaming is the new kid on the block but only works if you pay the bills before hand.

Even when one does have easy acess to fast/huge data pipelines, in general I refuse to use the internet connection for watching network/cable television.

The few times I’ve watched tv via streaming, it is through the cable company’s data pipelines which is a flat fee depending on the package of channels one is subscribes too. Nowadays some cable companies offer svod streaming services like Netflix through their data networks at a flat rate fee.

Put this way DVD/BD - I can watch when I want where-ever I want to watch it and doesn’t require internet to watch or if I don’t have wifi to connect or locations don’t permit wifi usage. Those whom talk about streaming forgets the cost of having it to get Streaming. The USA is a internet have and have not.

3 Likes

Exactly.

I have never been a fan of streaming as if I am going to buy a movie I am always going to prefer having a physical copy of it as it will always work. I don’t think DVD/BluRay media is going to be extinct for the foreseeable future even if it’s on the decline and it’s hey-day is passed because I would imagine there are a fair amount of people who will always prefer to have a physical copy of it that can play on a device(DVD/BluRay player etc) that requires no internet to use.

plus, another thing… with streaming services, even if they work decent enough for the user, a movie could be removed from there at any time and then you no longer have access to it.

1 Like

Yes , it’s kind of silly because with cable,and satellite your allowed to record your shows to a dvr
so you can watch them. Even though the industry, has tried over and over to block it on copyright
grounds. I feel that if they have evidence on someone that they are going to try and sell it or some other
reason? Then fine?. Most people though use like a device like a dvr so they can save their shows.:slightly_smiling_face:

True,
but with Youtube , t.v., Sling, Hulu t.v. and others. You can now watch cable channels though not
all using the internet at a cheaper rate.:slightly_smiling_face:

That’s what alot forgets here one day gone the next day. But with Physical DVD/BD no matter how old the movie is you can always watch it over and over. And if one takes care of the media it will last.

Yet one forgets called the “takedown” request or DMCA can remove it as well. To be able to get those sites requires ISP subscription and that isn’t on the cheap. Like I said not everyone can afford Internet prices so til that becomes equal across the board don’t expect much in return.

I had a wall full of DVDs , I sold them in a yard sale for 1.00 each, and some didn’t even sell for a dollar, 5 for 2.00 for some. They are dead.

Yeah!,
Not quite yet, but they are going to be phased out pretty soon.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

From where I work DVD/BD are the most circulated materials and books are still in style here. Not everyone can afford the high cost of Internet and also pay for Streaming services. If that was true then aka USA would have Fiber connected to every inch of it but that not the case. It still has Internet dark spots that are still Dial-Up Internet. We all like to fantasy a world were everyone is equal but we don’t have equal Rights nor do we have Equal Access to the Internet. Til that is done Physical Media isn’t going away any time soon or later. That is a myth at LP are coming back in Style as well.

Cars are getting smarter… usb flash media seems to be the new media of choice… though mfg forced bluetooth to have a delay (in stock radio/infotainment systems) so that you don’t want video while driving and watching your cellphone or other bluetooth video device as a distraction (DOH!). Most cars have a workaround such as an ANALOG audio input. So you need to wire up to avoid the delay. You can easily load thousands of mp3 tracks on a 64, or 128gb usb stick… They even make low profile ones so it actually looks like part of the car. The number of cars on the road made before 2013 is getting smaller, and newer models would probably have one of these newer technologies. Though, you can still put mp3s on dvd and play them from there as well (at least on my toyota corolla), but those electric cars of the future won’t likely have optical media as an option-- more likely cell phone integration/screen mirroring-extending is where it’s heading.
BTW, mfg won’t let consumers play video from stock infotainment while the car is in drive mode. You’ll have to get aftermarket, and god help you if you get sued for having such a device after a serious accident occurs. It could swing the balance of liability.
Children born today will see the phase out of optical media, for sure… most likely see youtube videos of them inspecting this ANCIENT stuff and be like wth is this?!? How does it work?!-- The way they do today with vcrs, 8-track, vinyl records, and cassettes. No doubt it will be mfg’d in limited quantities but not a mainstream consumer technology.

The media industries always fall on their feet… physical media is dying. As with technology evolving so do consumer choices. We also see this transition with traditional cable-tv subscription model dying in favor of on-demand and OTT technologies supported over the internet. Streaming and downloading are going to take over. If someone told me I’d e using waze traffic data and streaming spotify while driving, I would have told you that your crazy. Now it’s just the way to go… I do have physical flash installed, but it’s a b* to keep up syncing the playlists, so one will eventually replace the other.

1 Like

Cars getting Smarter doesn’t equate to better or Common Sense driving so let’s get that removed. Did you know you can always get a portable player or setup your own DIY entertainment console so your trying to limit what isn’t true here.

Actually if you don’t use hands free or cause accident when using mobile device you can get a felony charge for the accident for causing bodily injury so suing isn’t the only thing you will get as well.

This only goes so far if you have Internet or access to internet and what happens when there is no Internet Access they become Zombies staring at a blank screen. So this is taken with a bit of salty here.

One doesn’t get out much here do they. Take example Nintendo Switch can game eShop or Physical cartridges. The share is equal but if Physical comes out it always will sell.

As I will repeat again Internet Access isn’t equal nor affordable for everyone so until that times comes then we can talk about Streaming for everyone at the same price or equal access.

Serious question.
On average, how much does an Internet connection cost in the USA, and what sort of speed should one expect, on average?

Speeds are skewed by the extremely high speeds that are available in some of the cities. You have to remember that the US is huge in total area compared to most countries. But many rural areas will be lucky to get 20mbps, and some are stuck at much lower speeds. My little town, the highest speed from the cable company is 15mbps, which they can’t actually deliver due to inadequate equipment to meet the demand.

Two years ago, average speed was nearly 20mbps when you took removed the outliers (1gb speeds from Google for example). Right now, I’d say its closer to 25mbps across the country and costs will be in the $50 a month range.

We get 1,000 mbps upload and download from FIOS for $100 per month but I need to change our plan as this is now available for $79 per month. The actual speed is usually about 10% better than advertised. FIOS does not share bandwidth between users so every user gets the speed rating they pay for all the time.

Around my area 75mbps for $125.00 a month
Comcast, A T & T does not want to sell you internet only plans so they are higher, you have to get a basic cable TV bundle

Yikes!!!
I kind of thought that the USA would be cheaper for broadband, but my god its expensive.
Like the USA the UK has very mixed speeds. Very fast (1 Gbps ) in most large cities down a few Mbps in some rural areas.

I have FTTC here, but my speed is only around 37 Mbps. It’s an uncapped connection meaning there is no data cap, and I can download as much as I want.
Price £23 per month which also includes the line rental.

if you are in an FTTH area then Sky (for example) will give you 940 Mbps for £46.80 per month

I get 80 down and 40 up for 29.99 from optonline.net

I have 500MBS service the download speeds are great the upload speeds best I can get is 15MBS up for 91.00 a month no cap limits and where I live i am lucky to get that speed.
Charter communications aka in my area called spectrum.

Alan, did you notice your rating? It says you have faster speeds than 93% of the US. Anything near the big cities will have much better service than we get in the sticks.

By the way, your internet service company is Altice, and that same company owns the cable here and can’t provide 15mbps. It is so congested at night, it drops to less than 1mbps.