DVD and Blu Ray sales dropping quickly

Looks like the MPAA might be useful for something. Yes, shocking. In their annual report, they stress that the movie industry is doing very well, with ticket sales in good shape and increasing numbers of customers signing up for streaming services. But in between the lines, you can find that sales of physical media are plummeting. And this holds for all types of discs: DVD’s, Blu Ray and 4k.

From 2014 to 2018, sales of physical media have fallen almost 50%. You can find the story at Ars Technica, and you can find the original MPAA pdf file here.

This might have been different if auto makers adopted these formats into their audio systems. This would have worked well for vehicles that have headrest monitors in the back seats for kids. I buy radios from China that have dvd integrated and I can use a dvd disc for all audio and video formats. I generally make music dvds with picture stills and the song title displaying on the screen. I’m sure dvd recordables will die out soon and I will have to use a usb stick or bluetooth device, but the problem I have is the storage capacities. On a phone it’s somewhat limited. With dvds I can have a dozen sitting in my disc holder on my sun visor. Also, I don’t like that using bluetooth you have another device such as phone or ipod laying around with another charging cable. I make/listen to DJ mixes, and on usb and bluetooth you get the 2 second pause between tracks, which defeat the purpose of having a DJ mix.

I agree…When we are traveling I have a collection of discs we use "road tunes ",if you will . And I’m a old technology guy (I guess the moniker would tell you that) so it is a wonderful hobby to toy with and use the storage medium. When these formats die for common folks I just jump onthem :):stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Filmwild
If the Light ain’t Bright, It ain’t Right!

Streaming video is here, soon DVDs and other physical formats will be done with like 8 track.

Yeah! it’s easier for most people just to stream. So there’s no longer the urge to go out
and buy a cd or dvd. I think pretty soon dvd’s, cd’s ,cable t.v. are going to go the way of the
vcr. :neutral_face:

Don’t forget this is talking about revenue and we all know the price of DVD and Blu Ray gets cheaper over time while the cost of streaming only goes up. Therefore, the number of physical disks sold will obviously have dropped but it probably isn’t by the same percentage as the revenue. Plus there’s also a huge second hand market for physical media.

Digital streaming is never going to take over fully until it has the complete physical media catalogue available. Way more than half my DVD/Blu-ray collection is not available on streaming services, and a load more stuff that’s on my to get list is only available on physical disk in my country. Until that changes physical media is still going to be around.

Another question: If I using a streaming-service, did I also have to see/read some minutes that I don´t have any rights about the product I pay for and I am a bad ass if you copy it, present it to other ppl?

Streaming gives you permission to watch the material, and nothing more. If its paid for as part of a service, like Netflix, you can watch it repeatedly, as long as it is offered by that service. But you have no rights to copy the video, or rebroadcast it, or even share your account with others unless the contract specifically states that you can share your account (within your family for instance).

Its analogous to buying a ticket for a movie theater, and nothing like buying a physical copy.

The problem is they are still using outdated media. If they used a USB thumb drive they would sell more copies as this would make the content playable on nearly any device nearly anywhere.

On DVD/BD I need sometimes minutes to see the movie bcause of the you-have-no-rights-trailers; dunno if the same happen if I watch a stream

Ah, I misunderstood the question. I haven’t seen anything like that on Netflix.

Problem here is ISP subscription and Streaming Subscription are not the same. Your paying for two different cost to have streaming. Nothing is free streaming and comes at a cost. And in the USA not everyone has equal internet access. Where I work DVD/BD are the most circulated materials this is what I see everyday. So my experiences is quite different and streaming isn’t the go to. As I eluded if you have internet at home that is something you must pay for and then pay a steaming service to have streaming. So there are cost people are not looking at and just making bad Assumptions. Even if you have mobile and stream that requires subscription to the streaming service and if you go over your Data limit then you get charge as well and if anyone watches those ads they quickly state if you go over your limit you get throttle or loose that part of your service. So this Article makes it sounds like streaming is the new kid on the block but only works if you pay the bills before hand.

Even when one does have easy acess to fast/huge data pipelines, in general I refuse to use the internet connection for watching network/cable television.

The few times I’ve watched tv via streaming, it is through the cable company’s data pipelines which is a flat fee depending on the package of channels one is subscribes too. Nowadays some cable companies offer svod streaming services like Netflix through their data networks at a flat rate fee.

Put this way DVD/BD - I can watch when I want where-ever I want to watch it and doesn’t require internet to watch or if I don’t have wifi to connect or locations don’t permit wifi usage. Those whom talk about streaming forgets the cost of having it to get Streaming. The USA is a internet have and have not.

Exactly.

I have never been a fan of streaming as if I am going to buy a movie I am always going to prefer having a physical copy of it as it will always work. I don’t think DVD/BluRay media is going to be extinct for the foreseeable future even if it’s on the decline and it’s hey-day is passed because I would imagine there are a fair amount of people who will always prefer to have a physical copy of it that can play on a device(DVD/BluRay player etc) that requires no internet to use.

plus, another thing… with streaming services, even if they work decent enough for the user, a movie could be removed from there at any time and then you no longer have access to it.

Yes , it’s kind of silly because with cable,and satellite your allowed to record your shows to a dvr
so you can watch them. Even though the industry, has tried over and over to block it on copyright
grounds. I feel that if they have evidence on someone that they are going to try and sell it or some other
reason? Then fine?. Most people though use like a device like a dvr so they can save their shows.:slightly_smiling_face:

True,
but with Youtube , t.v., Sling, Hulu t.v. and others. You can now watch cable channels though not
all using the internet at a cheaper rate.:slightly_smiling_face:

That’s what alot forgets here one day gone the next day. But with Physical DVD/BD no matter how old the movie is you can always watch it over and over. And if one takes care of the media it will last.

Yet one forgets called the “takedown” request or DMCA can remove it as well. To be able to get those sites requires ISP subscription and that isn’t on the cheap. Like I said not everyone can afford Internet prices so til that becomes equal across the board don’t expect much in return.

I had a wall full of DVDs , I sold them in a yard sale for 1.00 each, and some didn’t even sell for a dollar, 5 for 2.00 for some. They are dead.

Yeah!,
Not quite yet, but they are going to be phased out pretty soon.:slightly_smiling_face: