DVD 9 question

vbimport

I have a question, anyone with suggestions please help.

Someone gave me a copy of an ISO file that is supposed to be a DVD 9 file, the problem is that I thought that DVD 9 files were supposed to be larger than 4.7GB…this file is 4.6GB and fits on a DVDR.

I recorded the file into a DVDR (4.7GB capacity) disk, and I tried to play it on my Panasonic DVD…I’m at work right now, so I don’t have access to the model number of my dvd player, but the dvd player is about 7 years old (if not more)…it’s a pretty basic DVD, it plays DVDR files because I have done it before.

Anyone has any input?..can a DVD 9 be less than 4.7GB? Does it has any restrictions on playing in the USA?

I’m really a newbie when it comes to dvd formats and such, I have only copied a couple of dvds for my little niece, and they seem to work just fine. First time this DVD 9 issue came up…

any help will be appreciated.

The source may be a dvd9, but your “friend” might have stripped or compressed the movie to fit on DVD5 media…

Many people strip (take out extras, credits and commentary) dvd9 media so that the full quality iso of just the movie will fit on a DVD-5…

[QUOTE=chagousa;2158719]I have a question, anyone with suggestions please help.

Someone gave me a copy of an ISO file that is supposed to be a DVD 9 file, the problem is that I thought that DVD 9 files were supposed to be larger than 4.7GB…this file is 4.6GB and fits on a DVDR.

I recorded the file into a DVDR (4.7GB capacity) disk, and I tried to play it on my Panasonic DVD…I’m at work right now, so I don’t have access to the model number of my dvd player, but the dvd player is about 7 years old (if not more)…it’s a pretty basic DVD, it plays DVDR files because I have done it before.

Anyone has any input?..can a DVD 9 be less than 4.7GB? Does it has any restrictions on playing in the USA?

I’m really a newbie when it comes to dvd formats and such, I have only copied a couple of dvds for my little niece, and they seem to work just fine. First time this DVD 9 issue came up…

any help will be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

DVD+R DL discs are rated at 8.5GB but could hold much less, if that option is selected. DVD+RW are rated at about 4.7GB but the usable space is more like 4.4GB

Many people would rather split a long file into 2 DVD 5s rather than using DVD 9.

thanks for your inputs,

I actually got to talk to my friend who provided the file, and he told me that it is indeed a DVD5 file that fits on a DVDR.
Like somebody said earlier, it was originally a DVD9 file, and it got stripped of some features making it a DVD5 file.

The reason I am not able to play it is because the ISO image did not have the VIDEO_TS folder on it…they were just a bunch of .vob files (dvd files) with no structure…I’ll try to extract it to my hard drive, and put it on a DVD format before burning it.

thanks for your help

Don’t forget the .IFO and .BUP files also…

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2158955]Don’t forget the .IFO and .BUP files also…[/QUOTE]

Just an update, and consider this case closed…

I extracted the ISO file back from the DVD I burned earlier to my hard drive…then I extracted the ISO file and all its content into a folder in my hard drive…they were all .vob, .ifo, and .bup files…but with no VIDEO_TS folder…

so I used a DVD program to create the DVD with all its folders…and I’m happy to report that I watched the movie yesterday with no problems.

thanks for your inputs.