DVD-5 initial & output size inaccurate?

vbimport

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

I had been running v5.0.7.2 with no problems, so I had no reason to upgrade.
I had changed the DVD-5 output size to 4472MB. DVDFab Platinum listed that the movie (Lost in Translation - “Movie Only” with DD 5.1 & english subs) would be Quality 99%: (4473MB ->4472MB) The resulting files are 4432MB?

I upgraded to v5.0.9.0 and get the exact same output size. I’m curious as to why the program is “shrinking” more than the setting. :confused:

Note: This is an older movie, so I decided to analyze the actual DVD (not the files on the HDD), in DVD Shrink. It lists the actual size for the same settings as above at 4509MB prior to shrinking.

Edit:
If ripped as DVD-9, the output size is 4509MB even though it says it will be 4473MB

DVDFab Main Movie does not include menus. DVDShrink does unless you used re-author mode. The other differences may be related to protection on the DVD.

signals,

Neither is the case in this example. I setup both programs to rip identically - Movie only, No Menus, DD 5.1, English Subtitles. It’s an old DVD so even DVD Shrink was able to rip it with no problems. The “no compression” rip size of both is identical, down to the last byte.

Am I the only one who’s noticed this?

yes

[QUOTE=LouV68;2126348]signals,

Neither is the case in this example. I setup both programs to rip identically - Movie only, No Menus, DD 5.1, English Subtitles. It’s an old DVD so even DVD Shrink was able to rip it with no problems. The “no compression” rip size of both is identical, down to the last byte.[/QUOTE]

it’s real simple:

• both programs remove the protective DVD encryption.
  • removing encryption makes the output files smaller than the input files,
  • both programs remove the same stuff, so both outputs are the same size.

[QUOTE=cybmole;2127332]it’s real simple:

• both programs remove the protective DVD encryption.
  • removing encryption makes the output files smaller than the input files,
  • both programs remove the same stuff, so both outputs are the same size.[/QUOTE]

DVDFab reports that the size of the selection I’ve made is 4473MB and will be transcoded to 4472MB (99%) in DVD-5 mode.
The actual size it shrinks down to is 4432MB, not 4472MB as it said it would be. Both the input and output sizes are incorrect.
The real size verified by re-ripping as DVD-9 in both DVDFab and DVD Shrink (without compression) is 4509MB.

well I could be wrong here, but as I understand it DVDfab gives you an initial estimate of what will be produced, if you then go ahead with the rip
It is only an estimate becaause until it has actually done the rip it can’t be sure of the exact number of bytes output. so in this case it seems that it’s actual performance was 40k better than it’s initial estimate - I can’t get over excited about that.

as for fab vs shrink - FABs estimate is for the whole output set, but shrink breaks down it’s estimate into video, audio & subtitles, so you need to add those together to compare like with like.

so 4145+329+11 = 4485mb is shrink’s comparable estimate to fab’s 4473.
the other stuff making up the 4509 total wil be folders & .bup & .ifo files needed to preserve DVd structure

I don’t see any great problem here - i think you are confusing dvd size & video stream size , where the latter is a subset of the former :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=cybmole;2127390]I don’t see any great problem here - i think you are confusing dvd size & video stream size , where the latter is a subset of the former :-)[/QUOTE]

I am not confusing the DVD size vs the stream size. The bottom line is, the output if ripped as DVD-9 in both programs is exactly 4509MB. The same number DVD Shrink says it will be. The AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder which contains the VOB’s and .ifo/.bup files are important, because they are all part of a DVD and take up physical space.

DVDFab should report the selection as 4509MB, same as DVD Shrink does. When it transcodes, it should be 4472MB as set; not 4432MB

[QUOTE=LouV68;2127401]DVDFab should report the selection as 4509MB, same as DVD Shrink does. When it transcodes, it should be 4472MB as set; not 4432MB[/QUOTE]

That is true…BUT…if DVDFab has trouble reading it will skip some sectors (a setting in common settings) 32 is defualt I think:confused:

my [B]one[/B] test did not show any difference in pre-ripping estimate and actual file size.

nice observation stormjumper. i hadnt thought about the skip sectors. :slight_smile:

however alot of sectors would need skipped as 2048 sectors equals just one byte or 0.0000009537 MB

LouV68

where are you getting 4432?

i understand that the dvdfab rip is set to 4472 and the output is supposedly 4432. how are you determining the size of 4432?

have you tested other source dvds? what is your pathplayer setting?

I cannot duplicate this either. It must be related to the disc: content, protection or physical condition. A sector = 2048 bytes.

What is the point of all this? Just backup movie and play! :iagree:

[QUOTE=troy512;2127696]LouV68

where are you getting 4432? The output folder.

i understand that the dvdfab rip is set to 4472 and the output is supposedly 4432. how are you determining the size of 4432? Without doing the exact MB to bytes computation, 4432MB is the size reported when ripped files are fed into DVD Shrink or DVD Rebuilder.

have you tested other source dvds? Yes, I also tested with Goodfellas. It output at 4461MB even though setting was at 4472MB. I confirmed the size when input into DVD Shrink.

I have an old pc with DVDFab HD (v4.0.5.5). Out of curiosity, I put the Lost in Translation disc to see what size it reports with the same settings I had ripped prior. It also reports 4473MB This is a very peculiar glitch, at least on my systems.

what is your pathplayer setting? I played around with both “Enable when necessary” and “Always enable”[/QUOTE]

This whole thing isn’t a huge deal, just a minor inconvenience. Very, very strange.

To be honest, who cares?

[QUOTE=GregiBoy;2128048]To be honest, who cares?[/QUOTE]

If it’s of no interest to you, why do you bother replying?

:doh: you are right i had it backwards signals. :stuck_out_tongue:

have you sent the IFO files to fengtao? he likes to see the info screen with pathplayer always enabled.

i care.

! :slight_smile: melborp oN

okay speed racer did not resize correctly for me

i will do another test tomorrow

dvd5 size set at 4300