Dvd-5, Dvd+r Dl?

Target Size: Here you can adjust the target size yourself. You can choose between a DVD-5, a DVD+R DL, a Mini DVD, a DVD-RAM or Custom settings (100 MB to 9999 MB). The quality bar on the righthand side shows you the corresponding compression depending on the title selection and the target size

ok my question is what is the difference between each of the Disks i listed above?

i use FujiFilm, DVD-R 4.7 GB disks made in Taiwan, what one should i use? the CLoneDVD site manual doesn’t explain it and the walkthrough on this site doesn’t have it listed at all

thank you

edit

never mind i found it on another site:

DVD-5 is an acronym that means a DVD disc that is one-sided single-layer disc and can contain upto 4.38 gigabytes of data on it.

DVD disc manufacturers love to use marketing terms and sell their discs as 4.7GB discs, but this is not true – the 4.7GB is calculated by using so-called “Japanese gigabytes”, where the power of calculations is 1,000 instead of 1,024 (and 1.024 is the correct way to calculate everything in computer world – so, 1024 megabytes == 1 gigabyte).

DVD-5 DVD-Video discs are nice, because DVD writers (this applies to both, DVD-R and DVD+R standards) can only write single layer discs.

======

DVD+R DL: Also known as DVD-R9, this is blank DVD media that uses Dual Layer technology. It can hold up to twice the capacity of a single layer DVD-R.

This type of Disc has a fixed layer break whereas DVD+R DL discs have a break point that can calculated and changed. (thanks to arniebear)

Verbatim DVD-R DL (stats as stated on disc cover)
8.5 GB
215 min
Dual Layer

Warning: Don’t attempt to put a Dual Layer (DL) disc into a non-DVD-R DL recorder. It can (and most probably will) result in damage to media/data. Check your DVD Drives’ manifacturers site to see what you’ve got.

===========

miniDVD has two definitions, separate from each other:

1. In this meaning of miniDVD, it is not a real format, but a hack instead that uses standalone DVD players’ abilities to play back regular CDs.

Basically miniDVD is a regular CD that has the same structure as regular DVD-Video has. Most of the standalone DVD players can be fooled to think that the disc inserted is a regular DVD-Video disc and to play it.

Biggest problem with miniDVDs is the fact that DVD movies tend to take appx. 4GBs of space and in CD you can just fit ~700MB of data -> one movie ends up taking 6 or more CDs. Therefor most of the people don’t use miniDVDs, but use some other standalone DVD player-compliant formats instead, like VCDs, SVCDs or their varieties.

1. Also, more officially, miniDVD (also called as mini DVD, Mini DVD and MiniDVD) refers to a standard DVD disc which is otherwise identical to the normal DVD, but has smaller diameter of only 8cm.

=============

DVD-RAM One of the competing recordable DVD standards. Not compliant with regular stand-alone DVD-Video players and not compliant with any DVD-ROM drives either. Normally used as a slow harddrive replacement. Standard is going to die pretty soon as more compatible standards, such as DVD-R and DVD+RW, are getting more popular.

DVD-RAM (DVD–Random Access Memory) is a disc specification presented in 1996 by the DVD Forum, which specifies rewritable DVD-RAM media and the appropriate DVD writers. DVD-RAM media are used in computers as well as camcorders and personal video recorders since 1998.

The term DVD-RAM is a misnomer based on the false assumption that RAM means the opposite of ROM (Read Only Memory). However, RAM stands for Random Access Memory (computer chips) and DVDs can inherently not use the random access method.

Compared with other writeable DVDs, DVD-RAM is more closely related to hard disk technology, as it has concentric tracks instead of one long spiral track. Unlike the competing formats DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW and DVD-RW, you do not need special DVD burning software to write or read DVD-RAMs on a computer. DVD-RAMs can be accessed like a usual floppy disk or hard drive.

Very nice Tsurani, thanks for posting that again here, I’m sure it will be very interesting and loads of help to a lot of people. :slight_smile:

your welcome

i think some folks in this forum need to see this thread