DVBDFab 6 Cpnversion?

Can anyone recommend settings(bitrate, resolution,etc) to convert DVD to MKV/H.264 with source audio for TV playback. I want to keep original 720x480 resolution, but I do not see that as a choice under Generic.MKV.H.264.Sourceaudio. Also do I need to keep the automatically crop setting checked? Thanks much guys.

Generally, keep crop set to automatic to avoid encoding black bars. 720x480 is not an option because no movies are made with active video in this aspect ratio. DVDFab will have choices that match the cropped aspect ratio of the video, choose one of these that is fairly large (7xxXxxx) and a video bitrate that produces a bits/pixel reading of 0.2 or higher (around 2200 Mb/s). As an example, a 1.8:1 movie at 720x400 and 2000 Mb/s produces a bits/pixel reading of .29, a good place to start to see if the quality is good enough at those settings.

I am encoding movies for my Samsung 52" TV which plays H264 files natively from an attached USB hard disk and I use the generic.h264.avi.audiocopy profile to great success and I encode the video at 1100 bitrate.

This quality appears fine to me but this is very subjective and can be increased by upping the bitrate as Signals has suggested.

What I have noticed over 5 years of encoding is that quite often, players (The Samsung not included) will stretch the aspect ratio of the movie to fit the screen.

For example, if the original widescreen movie is 720 x 300 and you encode at that size, SOME players will stretch this to 720 x 400 to fit the screen which then makes everything look taller than it actually is.

To prevent this happening, I always turn crop off and then set the size to 720 x 400. This encodes black bars in the file but this only adds a very small file size overhead but ensures that the movie will ALWAYS play at the correct aspect ratio, no matter what player is used.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much guys! Signal does 2200 mb/s the same as 2200 Kbps, also where do i fine info about bit/pixel? Some dvds only give me 640x480 max resolution, is that normal. Also I get weird choices like 704x403 and stuff like that. Should I just let DVDfab pick the resolution for me ? Thanks again

I live in PAL Land (OZ) so 720 x 400 is what I am used to. I think in NTSC Land 704 x XXX is quite common. Maybe one of our NorteAmericano buddies can comment.

On the 640 x 480, I have not struck that before.

[QUOTE=stretch12;2311393]Thank you very much guys! Signal does 2200 mb/s the same as 2200 Kbps, also where do i fine info about bit/pixel? Some dvds only give me 640x480 max resolution, is that normal. Also I get weird choices like 704x403 and stuff like that. Should I just let DVDfab pick the resolution for me ? Thanks again[/QUOTE]The 640x480 size (4:3 or 1.333 aspect ratio) is common on older, non-widescreen movies and DVDs of TV shows in North America and a few other countries that use the NTSC video standard. The bits/pixel number is shown in the same window that has the different screen sizes on DVDFab’s Conversion Settings page. The odd sizes (like the 704x40?) are the result of the automatic cropping process and the logic DVDFab uses to present you with different screen choices that closely match the aspect ratio of the content you are converting. The way that some DVDs are made can confuse this process in odd cases, but you will normally get good results if you follow the suggestions on the list.

The numbers in DVD to Mobile are serial bit rates which use normal base 10 math, so 2200 kbps (or kb/s) = 2.2 Mb/s. My earlier reference to 2000 Mb/s was a brain fart, not uncommon at my age. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks so much guys for the great info. So it looks like a bitrate of 2000 Kbps or more will be good and also letting dvdfab pick my screen resolution without auto cropping, great thanks again.

O, One quick question, so if DVDFab picks 720x400 resolution for one of my movies, should I change it to 704x400? I would think 720x400 would be ok since they say the dvd is 720x480. Thanks again

I get different choices in resolution between MKV and MP4. MKV gives me a max resolution choice of 640x368 and with the same movie MP4 gives me a max resolution of about 800x500 and also the option to pick 720x400. Why? Also if I have a movie that fab gives me 640x368 max resolution for, would it be a bad thing if I encoded that movie at say a 720x400 resolution? Thanks again guys