DV-RW won't write, shows up as CD-ROM

Help - I have an almost 4-yr old Gateway PC that came with a factory installed CD-RW, which worked fine for almost 3 years. Then it suddenly stopped writing to CDs, although it will still read them. Gateway has since sent me 2 replacement drives (HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8487B), but they both did the same thing. Hours of conversations with Gateway and they just want to send me yet another drive. Troubleshooting shows that the drive is being read by the computer as a CD-ROM. Checks for new or faulty driver have been fruitless (driver is the most current available.) DMA is enabled. I am limited in my capicity to troubleshoot further. Can anyone come up with any other ideas??? :confused:

Hi,

ignore, what Windows Explorer is showing. Are you able to burn CDs using a CD writing application like Nero, Deep Burner or CDburnerXP Pro (the latter two are free)?

Michael

Wow. I tried CDBurner XP Pro, and that worked. Does this mean that I need to do all of my backups to my desktop and then burn them that way, or is there a fix for why my drive won’t write on it’s own accord?

Thanks Michael!

Hi,

using a dedicated burner software is the safest way in order to burn data to a CD. Also, Windows stores the files that shall be written onto a disc, in a special folder. As you see, there is not much difference.

In order to regain Windows built-in burning engine, check if IMAPI service is enabled. Maybe a piece of software you installed, has disabled that or your Windows installation is messed up.

Most of the experienced users here consider Windows burning engine as crap. :wink:

Michael