DV Input with Panasonic DMR-EZ27

vbimport

Hello, I have question regarding DV input on the Panasonic DMR-EZ27 from a non-camcorder source. Basically, I am trying to copy Hi-8 tapes onto DVD, however the DMR-EZ27 refuses to record (although it definitely plays the signal through).

My set-up is as follows –

Hi-8 Deck (Sony EVO-9500) --> S-Video connection --> Canopus ADVC-300 --> Firewire 6pin to 4pin connection --> Panasonic DMR-EZ27.

The set-up definitely works, because the Hi-8 plays through and shows up on my monitor, however when I press ‘record’ I get a message that says my “DV Camcorder cannot be found. Please try again.”

Very strange as the unit acknowledges receiving DV input and, as I said before, plays it through to the monitor.

Also, I tried this on a previous Panasonic model, the EH75V, and it recorded just fine. However I have heard rumours that the newer Panasonic models have been adjusted to prevent DV input from any source (eg, a PC) other than a legitimate camcorder.

The Canopus ADVC-300, by the way, is an analog to DV converter that exports DV as a camcorder would.

Anyone else tried to record via DV? I’m stumped, and seriously considering returning the EZ27 for an older model.

I would think that’s your problem, CP. Seems the newer the machine the more CP they have.
The ES-25(2 yr old model) also has DV input as well as up-converting. I have found it to be MUCH more stable in general, than the EZ series Panny’s.
It’s too bad that CP is stopping legitimate uses of digital copies.
Note I personally have had nothing but bad luck with my EZ Panny’s. Been through 3 EZ-17’s and 1 EZ-27. I’d return my last EZ-17 that just died this morning, but it’s out of the 30 day return policy. I have to wait for it to be fixed. Personally I’d try and find a ES-25 to see if that does what you want.
Note I don’t use the DV input, so I can’t comment on whether it will work or not for what you want to do, but I can say it’s more reliable in the long run.

There’s no CP on a analog source like this, unless the Canopus is adding it.

the Panasonic does have an Svideo input, have you tried just going straight to that? Might even give better results, quality-wise.

Thanks for your responses. Yes, it does record fine if I do a direct S-video input from the Hi-8, however that involves bypassing the Canopus… which I am hoping to use to clean-up the Hi-8 source. Unfortunately, the Canopus doesn’t allow analog --> analog otherwise that would be my solution.

In other words, the output from the Canopus must be DV, but the DMR-EZ27 is clearly looking for some kind of camcorder induced TC rather than whatever TC the Canopus generates. (?)

What’s so frustrating is that it plays and looks great; a big improvement over the source. But the record function seems to be inhibited…

I checked my ES-15 and it also has a DV input. Should be cheaper and easier to find than a ES-25. Note the ES-15 does not upconvert, which IMO makes no difference in PQ if using the component outputs on the ES-15. Also note you didn’t say, but only the EZ series Panny’s have the digital tuner, but a ES-15 can be outfitted with a converter to yield great results with HD OTA signals.

[QUOTE=kinowerken;2010363]Thanks for your responses. Yes, it does record fine if I do a direct S-video input from the Hi-8, however that involves bypassing the Canopus… which I am hoping to use to clean-up the Hi-8 source. Unfortunately, the Canopus doesn’t allow analog --> analog otherwise that would be my solution.

In other words, the output from the Canopus must be DV, but the DMR-EZ27 is clearly looking for some kind of camcorder induced TC rather than whatever TC the Canopus generates. (?)

What’s so frustrating is that it plays and looks great; a big improvement over the source. But the record function seems to be inhibited…[/QUOTE]

I still say to eliminate the Canopus. You’re double-encoding the video that way, which can’t be good. Try direct recording and see how it comes out, you can still work on the image with your PC, but that will mean more re-encoding.

But your problem is the Canopus, not the Panasonic. There’s no reason to think that ANY Panasonic will record this input.

A firewire input to your PC will also allow you to capture from the Canopus unit.