DUW1616 will only read cd-roms please help!

I just bought a DUW1616 dvd± writer today and have it installed but it will only read cd roms like nero and stuff. But when I try to but a blank dvd in the light just stays on, will not read dvd movies either.Im on XP. Anyone please help me…thanx

Are your master/slave settings correct?

yes i think so , i have my dvd player on top with the setting on master , and the audio cable (i think thats what it it is , the little one on the far left with 4 wires) is in that one. then the new dvd writer below with the setting on slave. i assume that is right there were not many instructions with it. thanx

So the top drive is set to Master and is connect to the end of your ide cable and your botton drive is set to slave and is connected intermediately. Have you checked to see that your ASPI isn’t corrupt?

nopr i have not, not even sure what an aspi is, could u elaborate

Just bought a brand new dvd writer. I have on the top a dvd player with the sound cable hooked in set on master, on bottom the dvd-r set on slave, running on win xp. It will only read cd-roms and audio cds, when i put a dvd, blank cd or dvd in, the light stays on for a minute then just flashes will and will not read disk. Can anyone out there help me please .

Well telling us what model will help to let users identify your problem. That would be something to tell us rather then asking when we have no idea what your specs are. More detail or info?

It is a Centrios duw1616 internal 16x dvd± writer

winaspi ver 4.6

driver version 5.1.2535.0

yes i have aspi ver 4.6 tried 4.7 but didnt work

What you’re doing is cross posting which is against the forum rules and causes great confusion.

Hopefully a moderator will close all but one of these threads.

What you’re doing is cross posting which is against the forum rules and causes great confusion.

Hopefully a moderator will close all but one of these threads.

I think you have a dead DVD laser diode. The simplest way to confirm this is to see that anything DVD causes the same recognition behaviour, and anything CD seems to work fine. I’ve had this happen to me a lot, especially on Nu-Tech / QSI drives especially if used a lot or 5-6 months old. Never seemed to last - but that’s the symptoms. [Especially if it worked before and suddenly stopped.]

why dont you cry about it, that usually helps