Dutch copyright organisation and KaZaA go to court again

vbimport

I just posted the article Dutch copyright organisation and KaZaA go to court again.

The Dutch website Nu.nl reports that the Dutch copyright organistation BUMA/STEMRA is going to court again(Highest court this time), sueing KaZaA. BUMA/STEMRA could not agree on the last judgement…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3893-Dutch-copyright-organisation-and-KaZaA-go-to-court-again.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3893-Dutch-copyright-organisation-and-KaZaA-go-to-court-again.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I thought Sherman is an Australian company? and why is it so difficult to close kazaa, although I have no clue about judicial matters, I know that everything is based on precedents and the closure of napster was a precedent, wasn’t it?

My understanding aswell is it wen’t to an Austrilian company. As for precedent. Well firstly from a technical point of view the technology is actually very different although it may seem the same to the end user. But more importantly is that Napster only sets precedent in the united states. Even Canada does not take “precedence” from the US. Many of the countries of the “british empire:-)” still take precedence from each other and I suspect probably members of the EU, but nobody really shares precedence with the US.

Napster used a central server…thus it could be made to filter or ban certain files from filesharing. Kazaa uses Peer to Peer (P2P) and filesharing is from one computer directly to another without the use of a central server. The courts recognize this subtle difference and refuse to shutdown Kazaa…it would be like banning the pencil because someone …somewhere writes something about Hillary Rosen that she didn’t like …but of course that would never happen…

I’m not the most informed person on how Kazaa works, or file sharing all together, but from what I understand, Kazaa uses what’s called the “FastTrack” network right? Why couldn’t that network be cut off from the public? I wouldn’t wish that on anyone, but I don’t understand why it’s so hard to shut Kazaa down. Personally I’m all for file sharing, but this business of “we can’t do anything about the people using our program” sounds like quite a load of crap. Someone care to shed some light on this? :slight_smile:

If this clown company wins the appeal and ensuing appeals , it could have some frightening consequences, like the end of the web as we know it or a very heavily censored and policed one…not even BBS would be safe…but we can take heart from the fact that as these so called democratic institutions restrict our freedom more and more, they draw the knife slowly across their own throat…:7