Dutch copy-levy one big mess, according to computer magazine

vbimport

I just posted the article Dutch copy-levy one big mess, according to computer magazine.

In the Netherlands, as in many countries, there is a levy on recordable media. This levy is intended to cover the losses from artists due to home copying. This does not mean illegal …

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10428-Dutch-copy-levy-one-big-mess-according-to-computer-magazine.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10428-Dutch-copy-levy-one-big-mess-according-to-computer-magazine.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

“This levy is intended to cover the losses from artists due to home copying.” So why someone would need to pay levy if they made some wedding pictures and want to back it up? or a home movie? or backing up your own computer data files? and only 40% of the money collected reach the “artists”? Levy is just another way for the government to make money out of our pockets!!! :frowning:

“The magazine states that not only 40% of the money doesn’t reach the people who have the right to receive it” so who gets it, the Netherland RIAA affiliate? “the organisation also uses marketing data based on nothing.” where have we seen that before!?

Philips has abused its influence to get a higher levy on dvd+R compared to dvd-R :(. And i got an old -R only burner :c.

I mean lower levy on +R

This is crazy, how is this possible?? as someone stated what if Im only using the Blank media for backing up pics or HD, the RIAA got control of the goverment, it looks like so, I live in a latino american country (Colombia) and these is NEVER likely to happen here.:g

I think the question here is not that they only get 40% of the money, its what happened to the other 60% that was collected. “the organisation also uses marketing data based on nothing.” Sound like something you heard before. “The organisation would also work(s) very inefficient.” Maybe there could be a reason for the fact 40% only goes to the artists here, maybe the money goes to a better place like marketing data and administration fees.
[edited by LastStand on 16.06.2005 11:53]
[edited by LastStand on 16.06.2005 11:54]