Dutch anti-piracy organization: 'scenario possible where we track down illegal downloaders'

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/dutch-anti-piracy-organization-scenario-possible-where-we-track-down-illegal-downloaders-86073/

The director of Dutch anti-piracy organization Brein has stated in a podcast that he can think of possible scenarios where his organization will start to chase downloaders of pirated content, and not just uploaders. However, such actions would not be the preference of both him and rights holders, according to the director of Brein, Tim Kuik.

So if it was China is he going to go there and demand payments? If so they might send his head back instead.

One would think that these yahoos would have figured out by now that lawsuits against downloaders do not work. It only makes things worse. Their business model needs to change and this is their only option other than ceasing to exist.

What would you consider a better change of model? For example we’ve seen Spotify come into existence which competes directly with piracy in that there’s a free tier and it’s a kind of ‘all you can eat’ library. OTOH even Spotify isn’t ideal for artists (particularly less popular ones based on how Spotify calculates royalties) but I’m struggling to think of a commercial model that’s as generous to consumers.

For video we haven’t seen quite as much of a disruptive model but there are still plenty of streaming and online purchase services. Youtube even allows one to rent films fairly inexpensively (though I’ve never used it myself, preferring physical if anything). How would you improve things for consumers and studios do you think?

Here’s another thing … Actually talk to the buying Consumers. This is something lacking in the industry they seems to think they know what they want rather the LISTENING. Doing what they are doing is falling on deaf ears. Techs moves on and so does torrents all they do is insure it keeps moving on.

One thing they could do for more mainstream artists is to give the music away for free and then make money off of live concerts. Another would be to coagulate all media into one site and give access for a low fee. Make the interface simple so everyone can use it. Profits are made off of volume of users. People pay for convenience and having movies, music etc. in one site for say $10 per month would probably be widely used.

Suing your customers is not a good working model. It just makes their situation worse. Why they haven’t figured this out by now is mind boggling.

How about getting rid of Geoblocking for a start so that people who want to pay for content can buy it. The only option a lot of the time is to pirate.

I agree but the stupid thing is the industry is going in the opposite direction to that and all the major players want a piece of the streaming pie, so are developing their their own services. Disney being the prime example.

In a few years, how many different streaming services will you have to subscribe to for all your favorite movies and TV shows, and how much is all that going to cost you? Ironically, I think this is just going to make piracy worse in future and the industry only has itself to blame.

In addition to geoblocking another issue is finding a place to purchase an obscure movie, documentary, TV show etc. Many times the only option to get such content is to download it.

Here’s hoping. :smiley:

From what I understand, they already do that.

Um, I hate to be a wet blanket, but… you basically just argued for giving one site a monopoly on entertainment works. IMHO, monopolies are never a good answer, as they will instead create more problems in the long run. If one website gets that successful, they’ll probably raise prices higher than $10 per month. Much higher.

Some make their money off concerts and merchandise but most do not. It is the reason the RIAA is still trying to sue people.

As for content delivery, there could be more than one site. Artists could sell on more than one service like they do now. If the price is not right then they will lose members and go out of business. The market will determine the price because downloading is always an option. The service has to be cheap and easy to access to be successful.