Durabrand cdr's 'SHATTERED'

Yep… my friend asked me to copy some cd’s for him and even gave me a few cdr’s to do it with. They were DuraBrand (WALMART). I recorded at 32x (which there designed for) at noticed a loud noise coming from my burner! After it was done I opened it an it was cracked half-way through the disc!! I tried another but at 16x… same thing but crack stoped at the big inner ring on the CDR. After a successfull right at 4x… I gave it to my friend to use and when his 52x cd-rom spun up it shattered it in HALF!!! …these are def the worst media I have Ever used!!:eek:

here is the info on them: (walmart brand) :slight_smile:

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 28s 15f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = GigaStorage
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 32X

perhaps they were in the sun for too long beforehand, or they’ve been cleaned in acid :\

Interesting… thanks for the heads up.

Have the cd’s been in a microwave or pizza oven recently?

No microwaving or BBQing of cdr’s here… Its just a case of really cheap plastic used for there “Durabrand” cdr’s.

I find that name really Ironic.:stuck_out_tongue:

as do i … are you sure they weren’t left in sun - usually the polycarbonate in CD-R’s in fairly tough and not even as brittle as a pressed cd :
bad batch, perhaps.
either that or your cdrom drive likes eating CD-Rs
:\

i had pressed CDs crack on me… nothing special…

and it was stored in a cd folder.

Durabrands are made by CMC - one of the worst media companies out there. I got one of thier CD-R’s via a trade.

ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
Disc Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

If the CD gets warped (even a little bit) by heat It can cause your drive to vibrate when it switches to high speed. It can get so bad your case could vibrate like a paint shaker or a Harley motorcycle! :slight_smile:

I just wonder if manufacturers have hit the wall on how fast a CD-R drive can go? I remember the 72X speed drives a couple years ago (that never were any good) but will we have 100X drives (and CD’s shattering more?)

You’ll get no argument from me on that problem. It happend to me also. I hate Durabrand.

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]I[SIZE=3][SIZE=2] have a Sony 52X/24X/52X CD-RW drive. I wanted to buy some blank CD-R to back up my important files and copy a few of my CDs. I wanted to save as much money as possible so I bought Durabrand and they were cheap. Thought I was getting a great deal at the time. While I was backing up my files on to the disk I got an error message saying that the disk had been remove or was damaged. When I took out the CD-R It looked at if it had just come out of the microwave :sad: . I put in a second disk at tried copying the files at 1X speed. And heard what sounded like glass shattering. I ejected the cd only to find that it had broken :frowning: in to what seem like a 100 little pieces. Lucky for me I was able to collect all the pieces and put them in to the trash. I could not take them back to Walmart and get my money because they were marked “as is”. I am sticking to the :slight_smile: Spin-X :slight_smile: CD-R 700MB disk and they work just fine for with out any problems at all. The funny thing is that I gave the rest of the Durabrand CD-R 700MB disk to my sister Tracy and she was able to use them with out problems at all what so ever. The Durabrand Discs are designed for CD-R/RW. Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB. Disc Manufacturer Durabrand. BURN Speed Limit = 52X ( :frowning: DON’T BUY DURABRAND CD-R DISK WHAT SO EVER THEY BREAK AND ARE A WAIST OF MONEY :frowning: )

I don have the habit to buy one bulk at 1st time if I’ve the choice. I’ll get a few and do some read-write test and physically look at the dye layer of the disc. I’ll get a spindle if the disc is ok. :slight_smile: I don like to watse $$ for nothing!! :bigsmile: Cheers!! :bigsmile: