Duplicated DVD-R stop working after a few days

vbimport

Hello all.
I’m not sure if this is a Newbie question. I hope it is and you all know the answer…
I do a bit of video editing on the side (birthdays, public events, holidays etc), however to my horror, I’ve discovered that ALL the DVD’s I burn, stop working. They work fine for about a week, but then kick the bucket.

I edit in Premiere, create the menus in ulead DVD movie factory 6 and then use it to burn the DVD. I’m using the best DVD’s I can find, I store them properly. They work initially, however find they all die shortly later.

I try the now dead DVD’s in a range of different players, but they all do the same, they struggle to read, they may start however stop mid-video.

I can’t figure it out. This is a big problem for me. The only thing left for me to try is having the original Replicated, however I don’t think this will work, because if the original is going to die, then the replicated DVD should also die.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Fent-Dog

Welcome to CD Freaks :slight_smile:

Most likely thing is the disc quality, so first of all could you tell us what brand of discs you’re using?

Thanks for the welcome – It might help if I give you all the details.

I’m using off the shelf TDK DVD-R 16x (Australian market)

[U]http://www.tdk-media.com.au/show_product.asp?catID=1&subID=1&productID=87516&offset=0[/U]

I purchase them from a local electrical retail store (JB hifi). I’m using an LG DVD burner, I don’t know the exact model, however I’ve had it for a few years now.

I’ve burnt other data DVD’s in this fashion in the past with no problems, it’s just the DVD movies that are causing a head ache.

OK could you download CD-DVD Speed from here:

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

… then start the program, put a disc in the LG and tell us what the text is under the ‘Disc Info’ tab. That will give us the manufacturer’s dye type (and also the burner model number).

Another possibility is that your relatively older burner is not doing so well with writing the newer high-speed discs. Have you ever updated the firmare on it? The

Logically there shouldn’t be any difference between writing ‘data’ and ‘movies’. Usually with movies you tend to fill the disc up and towards the edge of the disc, the write quality becomes more critical.

Anyway let’s see what these TDK brand discs turn out to be first.

I thought all DVDs and burners were the same, would appear not.
I hope this makes scene to you guys.

I’ve never changed the firmware on the LG.
What really spins me out, is that the DVDs work for a week before they give up. I though once burnt they remained the same, either working or not working.

Using paper stick on labels on the discs?

You never mentioned burning speed. Do not use max. use 1/2 what is rated and see.

I do use stick on labels…Media Face Neato labels, have they been known to cause DVDs to give up the ghost? what about printing straight onto DVDs?

I’ll burn a copy at half speed and give that a go, I wont see the results for a week.

Stick on labels do cause problems! Use TY or Verbatim media,printable or non printable and give the labels to an enemy.

[QUOTE=Fent-Dog;2017649]I do use stick on labels…Media Face Neato labels, have they been known to cause DVDs to give up the ghost? what about printing straight onto DVDs?

I’ll burn a copy at half speed and give that a go, I wont see the results for a week.[/QUOTE]

For what it is worth. I use labels (Neato) on my DVDs ,single and double layer, so far did not see any problem. Some are on for more than 3 years.
But yes, few people say, do not use them.
You can always try to burn and not put label on, if it will make any difference.
God DVD brand is always important, I use TY and Verbatim.