Dumping BDR-208 firmware? & is this drive fake?

vbimport

Moderator note: the following 11 or 12 posts moved from http://club.myce.com/f87/dvrtool-pioneer-dvr-bdr-firmware-flashing-utility-v1-02-new-340357/

Is there a way to dump Pioneer BDR-S08XLB/208DBK firmwares?

I just managed to buy a brand new BDR-S08XLB (which is tho shown as 208D on windows).
It has the original 1.10 firmware.
I’d like to update the drive, but really would like to dump the firmware first, just in case someone might need it.

As of today there is no possibility of the program to upload firmware in these drives.

[QUOTE=Luth;2768147]I just managed to buy a brand new BDR-S08XLB (which is tho shown as 208D on windows).
[/QUOTE]

From eBay? The drive you got must be a fake. A BDR-S08XLB drive (which should be a fully fledged BDXL enabled BDR-208M class drive with kernel ID43) cannot identify itself as a BDR-208D. :disagree:

It sounds like you’ve probably got a relabeled/refurbished BDR-208D (which has no BDXL and no DVD-RAM) under the hood, advertised and sold as a fully fledged BDR-S08XLB… something is definitely very fishy…

Do some burn tests and quality scans and see if the drive’s burn quality is OK…

Yes.
Ebay of “course” http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/321899793340?dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2F321899793340
I was surprised about the model.

It does not support XL media.

Drive came with FW 1.10 which i upgraded with official BDR-208DBK_FW140EU.exe from JP site.

Drive seems to perform very well.

Here are few pics and data:

DVRTool v1.02

Firmware flashing utility for Pioneer DVR/BDR drives
by Blackened2687

build date: Jan  1 2016 / 17:04:11

-----------------------------------------------------

Device: \\.\g:

Drive Information:

Model Name : PIONEER BD-RW   BDR-208D
  Firmware Rev : 1.40
    Extra Info :  14/03/06  PIONEER
 Serial Number : MADL040507WL
   Buffer Size : 4000 kiB

Additional Drive Information:

Label Code : BDR-208DBK
  Hardware Rev : SAT 8301
   Kernel Type : ID61
 Firmware Type : ID61
Kernel Version : 0000

Drive is in normal mode.

Firmware flashing support : YES
Firmware dumping support  : NO

Drive Capabilities:

CD-ROM   : R       BD-ROM      : R
 CD-R     : R/W     BD-R        : R/W
 CD-RW    : R/W     BD-R XL     : -
 DVD-ROM  : R       BD-RE       : R/W
 DVD-R    : R/W     BD-RE XL    : -
 DVD-R DL : R/W     HD DVD-ROM  : -
 DVD-RW   : R/W     HD DVD-R    : -
 DVD+R    : R/W     HD DVD-R DL : -
 DVD+R DL : R/W     HD DVD-RW   : -
 DVD+RW   : R/W     LabelFlash  : NO
 DVD-RAM  : R       LightScribe : NO

Drive Region Settings:

RPC Scheme : RPC-2
Current Region : 0
  Changes Left : 5 (available to user)
   Resets Left : 4 (available only to vendor)
  Region State : Region is not set

-----------------------------------------------------

Basically i am satisfied with this drive.
BUT if you, smarter than me, think this is a fake drive and i been scammed,
Please say so and i will contact the seller and try to sort this out.

Thank you.

The drive is NOT a BDR-S08XLB as indicated by the ID61 kernel type. The drive is a BDR-208D while the label indicates otherwise. The listing title is misleading, but the seller does indicate the 208D, so you can try to file a claim.

This is what a BDR-S08XLB should look like.

So after fake 207er they fake 208er now? Any fake 209er up yet?

[QUOTE=Luth;2768210]
Basically i am satisfied with this drive.
BUT if you, smarter than me, think this is a fake drive and i been scammed,
Please say so and i will contact the seller and try to sort this out.
[/QUOTE]

There’s no doubt its a fake and that it should not be advertised as the ‘premium’ BDR-S08XLB model. The label is definitely fake. The case/housing doesn’t match that of a BDR-S08XLB, not to mention the bezel. It should not be advertised as a “Pioneer BDR-S08XLB/208DBK SATA BDXL”, since it has nothing to do with a BDR-S08XLB and has no BDXL support. The only reason I suspect they advertised it as such was to cover for the fake label.

It is not simply a relabled BDR-208D either, because the case/housing and the bezel don’t match those of a BDR-208D either (this is how a BDR-208D should look like: http://media.bestofmicro.com/Q/2/415658/original/Pioneer_BDR-208DBK-OEM.jpg).

It looks like a ‘rehoused’ BDR-208D in a different case/housing and with a different bezel (Pioneer drives do not use rectangular LEDs on their bezel). That in itself would debunk the “new” claim (should be more like ‘refurbished’ really).

That said, if the drive burns well (and that’s the most important thing), you’re happy with the price, don’t mind the lack of premium capabilities that a BDR-S08XLB has, and the misadvertising factor, then you could keep it. BDR-208 drives are good drives and not easy to find nowadays in good condition and with little use…

If you want to return it, there’s plenty of evidence to back that. If you want to keep it, you would at least have a valid case for requesting a partial refund, given the lack of BDXL capabilities and the more advanced drive features that XLB drives have (not to mention their higher price tag compared to a D model).

[QUOTE=Oinker;2768234]So after fake 207er they fake 208er now? Any fake 209er up yet?[/QUOTE]

I haven’t seen any yet, but I suspect its just a matter of time :frowning:

They did it with BDR-207 drives, now they’ve done the same ‘hack job’ with BDR-208 drives too, so probably fake BDR-209 drives are just around the corner if not already here, at least in some ‘selected markets’ … or maybe they’ll wait until BDR-209 drives become hard to find and then dish them out…

[B]@cvs[/B]
I examined a customer recently a drive in the middle of the drive hardware compatible with Pioneer 100%, the LED is round but only covers the panel.
Photographs of my DVR-117 in the case of identical design QSI Pioneer DVR-118 \ A18 \ 218 \ S18 …
Also hardware compatible with the Pioneer 100% …

The drive was ID60 and firmware 1.06. Unfortunately, before @ Blackened2687 invented DVRTool I’ve updated it to the kernel and firmware GENERAL 1.07.
Screen readings from the DVR-117 firmware \ kernel \ eeprom and the original DVR-217CHG …

[QUOTE=cvs;2768288]I haven’t seen any yet, but I suspect its just a matter of time :frowning:

They did it with BDR-207 drives, now they’ve done the same ‘hack job’ with BDR-208 drives too, so probably fake BDR-209 drives are just around the corner if not already here, at least in some ‘selected markets’ … or maybe they’ll wait until BDR-209 drives become hard to find and then dish them out…[/QUOTE]
What puzzles me about the fake 208 is that it says 12V 1.1A on the label - IIRC the 208D has 12V 2.2A? It’s probably the same for a real S08XLB?
Also the “REAR SECTION” on the label is somehow different compared to an original Pioneer label, on the fake it’s rather “REAR SECT ION”.

[QUOTE=Oinker;2768291]What puzzles me about the fake 208 is that it says 12V 1.1A on the label - IIRC the 208D has 12V 2.2A? It’s probably the same for a real S08XLB?
Also the “REAR SECTION” on the label is somehow different compared to an original Pioneer label, on the fake it’s rather “REAR SECT ION”.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha ha, good one :clap: Well spotted. :bigsmile: But then what else would you expect from a fake label?

Now that I looked at it in more detail, here are also a few more little/big things which don’t match a genuine Pioneer label (see KTL’s link for comparison): the position of the “10” logo is wrong, the slight misalignment of the last 2 lines of text underneath the model number in the middle box, the complete lack of a serial number above the bar code which is quite priceless but far from surprising (!!!), different spacing used for manufacturing date details above the bar code (extra spacing or lack of spacing in between some of the elements, position of the text and its (mis)alignment, and different fonts used for '0’s in year ‘2014’), what appears as a partially printed G at the end of the word manufacturing in the lower box, different font formatting used for the wrong 1.1A value (from what I’ve seen looking at quite a few different BDR drives, Pioneer seems to always use italic fonts for what it should be a 2.2A value)…

The best of all is that decoding the bar code gives a completely different serial number than the one reported by the drive, namely: LGDL012856CN as opposite to the real serial number reported by the drive (MADL040507WL) :doh:

If that’s not a fake, I’ll eat the darned thing :bigsmile:

PS. [B]@Luth[/B] The latest firmware for 208 drives is 1.50 (see link in the firmware announcement thread).

Split posts from the DVRTool thread. Let me know if I have accidentally moved a post which belongs in that thread. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the replies and Albert keeping forum nice and tidy.

After being used the drive for couple of weeks i have some more experience with it.

It’s very slow burner. Very, very loud, spins like a jet engine. Fake casing. Fake label. Fake front bezel+tray.
Something is original tho, since it accepts official Pioneer firmwares just fine.
Dvrtool 1.02 from blackened2687 also works (ok i get a timeout, but its working).

Most discs are burnt relatively ok. Blu-rays seem to do okish.
Burn quality is very much like i have used to get from my 209D. But deffinitely not better than the 209D.

So, some parts might be genuine, most are not. Fake is a fake.
It performs ok enough for very low budged burner, which means i paid too much for it.

I found something i wasn’t aware. With this fake 208D and with my genuine 209D i can do disc quality scans with opti drive control.
I can’t set the read speed tho. It’s always set to max, but scanning is slower. 4 to 8x.
CD and DVD only, no Blu-ray.
Is this common Pioneer behaviour?

I have also some pics to show.
This is how the front of the drive looks.
Way different than real one.

And some disc scans just to give you an idea.
Verbatim dvd+r and -r

Verbatim LTH

Umedisc dvd+r DL

Verbatim CMCMAG05