Dumb Questions?

Well I have tried to search the forums and help files to find answers to these. I hope I don’t sound too ignorant but here goes:

I have tried to back up a few DVDs that Anydvd seems unable to break the css protection. Sometimes I have been able to clear them with the help of DVD FOR FREE then write with Clonedvd or 1ClickDVDcopy. Sometimes I have had to copy to my hard drive with DVDdecrypter and then burn. Anyway, now that you know all of my software, here is an example of the dvd’s- Spanglish, Bewitched & recently Beautyshop. I just try whatever combination I can until it works! :stuck_out_tongue:

My questions are these:
How does the css protections work and get removed by these programs? Are there certain steps to try when just the usual anydvd/clonedvd combo doesn’t work? And anyway to troubleshoot the different error codes? :confused:

Thanks in advance,
Debi

@ mommyk,

If you are using the most up to date version of AnyDVD (version 5.5.1.1) you should not have any problems making back up copies of Spanglish and/or Bewitched.

Suggest visiting SlySoft (http://www.slysoft.com) and download the latest versions of AnyDVD-CloneDVD.

Below is a Forum link for a detailed user tutorial for the AnyDVD-CloneDVD software programs. Using the latest versions of AnyDVD-CloneDVD you should not have any problems making back up copies of your Commercial DVD Movie Titles.

There is no need to get into the technology of how AnyDVD does its magic in removing the copy protection schemes used in Commercial DVD Movie Titles. AnyDVD works and it work excellently in removing ALL the latest copy protection schemes found in the new Commercial DVD Movie Titles. Just use the latest most up to date version form SlySoft (http://www.slysoft.com) and you will not have any problems.

Best Regards,
bjkg

mommyk
Kindly confirm you are using CloneDVD2 v2.8.5.1 and AnyDVD v5.5.1.1 as bjkg stated.
There is not a movie currently available that these two softwares won’t copy.

Be advised there is a copycat of CloneDVD available that is inferior and unreliable, if your CloneDVD indicates V 2.8.5.1 then you have the proper one.

Below is a log file of AnyDVD that shows the copy protection removed, yours should look similar if you are in Region1 (USA & Canada)
If it does not, please post the log file for either Spanglish or Bewitched.

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 5.5.1.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: free

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)

Video DVD (or CD) label: CHARLIE_AND_CHOCOLATE_FACTORY
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Found & removed RCE protection!
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Changed firstplay: Jump directly to Title 1!
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Bit of a bold statement that, especially as it’s unqualified, and almost certainly untrue,

It is unqualified as itzbinnice surely didn’t copy every movie available on this planet, but certainly untrue?
Do you know of a retail movie (which is not scratched & damaged, and which is not some “self made” import from China) which AnyDVD + CloneDVD cannot copy? If yes, you should inform SlySoft to have a solution in 1-2 hours.

@ sej7278,

I echo the knowledgeable Forum Member Tru comments.

Please be so kind to inform SlySoft Technical Staff, Elaborate Bytes Technical Staff and Forum Members as to which currently released Commercial DVD Movie Titles that the latest most up to date versions of the AnyDVD-CloneDVD software program are unable to make back up copies of.

I am certain that SlySoft Technical Staff and Elaborate Bytes Technical Staff would be most interested in hearing your response.

Best Regards,
bjkg

Yes, I am using the latest updates of both anydvd and clonedvd. I downloaded and paid for them directly from slysoft site. I didn’t really want to know all of the tech jargon. I just wanted a better laymans understanding of it all and maybe a heads up on, if any, of my software that may be conflicting. I just let a friend borrow Bewitched so I will post comments when I get it back. I was able to remove the css on Beautyshop with dvd43.
Here is an example of what usually happens:

This just happened with Sopranos Season 5 disc#1:

If I have Anydvd running when I put in the disc it doesn’t see it. So, I exit anydvd put in the disc and wait then start anydvd when it shows on:1 in taskbar and the summary screen:

Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.

Video DVD (or CD) label: SOPRANOS_DISC1
Media is not CSS protected.

RCE protection not found.
Changed firstplay: Jump directly to TitleMenu!

Then I opened clonedvd2 and proceed to backup the dvd. It gets to 58% with an unexpected error message. (OH NO)

Creation of DVD files was not successful:

unexpected error

Here is how I got it to copy:

I exit anydvd put in the disc and wait a bit then start anydvd:

Media is a Data DVD.

Then start DVD43 wait for devil smiley to turn to happy green smiley then start anydvd then copydvd. Viola!

Sometimes this works, sometimes not…

Thanks again for reading my ramblings,
Debi
:confused:

OOPS! Here is the summary after css removed with dvd43:

Media is a Data DVD.

Never have AnyDVD and DVD43 installed on the same machine at the same time. Very bad idea.

Why? That seems to be the combination that works…
Debi

DVD43 is inferior compared to AnyDVD. Having them both installed is a great way to cause problems. They can conflict quite easily. AnyDVD is all you need.

I am trying to backup Sopranos Season 5 disc#2 right now with just dvd43 and clonedvd. Then I will try disc#3 with just anydvd and clonedvd like I did with disc #1 and see what happens…again.
It seems as though the 2 programs should play well together given they are by the same company and I usually don’t have a problem but when I do it is just trial and error to get my DVD copied! That is the frustrating situation that started my “dumb questions” in the 1st place.

I’ll post what happens, if anyone is still interested :o
Debi

@ mommyk,

It is well documented throughout the AnyDVD Forum that having DVD43 installed on a computer with the AnyDVD program will cause numerous conflict errors. Strongly suggest if you intend to use the AnyDVD software program to completely remove any traces of the DVD43 program from you computer. Also after removing DVD43 suggest using a Windows Registry Cleaner to remove any remnants of DVD43 from your computer. Then to ensure that AnyDVD is installed correctly after completely removing DVD43, un-install AnyDVD, reboot and the re-install AnyDVD. After doing this procedure you should not have any problems with the AnyDVD-CloneDVD software programs.

Best Regards,
bjkg

Yes we’re still interested but please take the advice given and uninstall DVD43, you’re just asking for trouble having both programs installed.
You state you are using trial and error to get consistent copies, that may be due to the two progarms conflicting.

Use this as an anaolgy, two people are trying to drive the same car, the passenger is using their left foot to work the gas pedal, the driver steers and works the brakes.
What you have is the makings of an accident.

From the log files you posted of AnyDVD indicates it did it’s job properly and removed the copy protection, it seems it was just a coincidence then when you used DVD43 it worked. Use this method, have AnyDVD running, insert the disk, wait patiently for the drive to completely read the disk and the light goes out, be patient, sometimes it goes out then s comes on again shortly. You know it has done it’s job when the log appears and there are no error messages.

Not very bold if you have been using it for a couple years like I (and others have). Users have the ultimate confidence in Anydvd, I have never had a movie that the combo couldn’t backup assuming that the original wasn’t damaged. And I’ve done several hundred. Even when a new protection comes up Slysoft cracks it in hours - really, hours, not days. :iagree:

LOL :slight_smile: !

Disc#2 - No Problems with dvd43/clonedvd2 combo. But, I am uninstalling dvd43 as recomended. Then I will try Disc#3 with anydvd/clonedvd2 and see what happens and post again.

Thanks to all for your patience and understanding!
Debi

Your’re right, I should have been clearer in my statement, it was both bold and broad.
My Quote
“There is not a movie currently available that these two softwares won’t copy.”

I should have said any legitimate movie and barring production defects. You know the ones that are not so legitimate, those that show peoples heads pop up anytime during a scene and perhaps a burp during a romantic scene. These do not fall in the category of legitimate films.

Now your turn, name a LEGITIMATE movie, that you have first hand knowledge of, that the combination of CloneDVD and AnyDVD is unable to copy.
Aside from the usual user errors that are posted and are quickly disproved by forum members, stating they had no such problems. As others have mentioned, both companies are on top of their business when something doesn’t work properly, just let them know and it will be resolved in short order.

Seems we have (another) pedantic person, who easily uses ex-cathedra statements.
Concentrating on supplying proofs of your view is the method in CDF, coupled with an acceptable manner of expression.

And while you’re at it - click “Default” in AnyDVD settings, before you start. Good luck!

What is all this BOLD talk?!!

Does this have something to do with a one-eyed fat man?

Nobody is going to yell “Fill your hand Ned Pepper” are they?