Dumb questions, and W / S letter notation?

I`m looking to get a Liteon drive, possibly the 48x writer, but I can see two different sets of firmware for the 48125S and 48125W

Is there a simple explanation, as both drives appear to be IDE and have the same spec ?

Is Mt Rainier finally supported on them ? (I think it is on the 40125W, but not the 40125S)

Although the firmware is separate, the hardware of the 48125W and 48125S is functionally identical. In fact, by using the MTKFlash utility, one of these drives may be changed to either model number. By this method, any firmware with its corresponding “S”/“W” identification may be used.

Both of these models support Mt. Rainier.

S model firmware (the EPPROM) is made by ST Microelectronics (that’s why they name its “S”)
W model firmware (the EPPROM) is made by Winbond (that’s why they name its “W”)

and of course firmware is wriiten by LiteON :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I thinks the W vs S should be in Big FAQ of LiteON :frowning: (OC-Freak just write

Q: What is the difference between a LTR-???W and a LTR-???S drive?
A: Early released LTR-40125S (based on “5”-chipset) drives are shipped as Zone-CLV and need a firmware upgrade to use P-CAV. All LTR-???W use P-CAV or CAV write technology

:frowning: :frowning:

Thanks, Mgz

I agree that the FAQ information is inaccurate and misleading. I wasted a lot of time looking through the FAQ for these names. I was aware of the information you reported, but couldn’t remember the names. It isn’t easy to find it in a search. Unless you know to search for Winbond or ST Microelectronics you probably won’t find it. And if you already know these names, you don’t need the search. :bigsmile:

Although the firmware is interchangable, I wonder if the firmware originally designed for an EPROM might not have some benefit. This is based on some user reports of less errors with the 48125S firmware. I just reflashed my (originally 40125S) 48125W to a 48125S to check this out, but haven’t burned anything yet. :wink:

Thanks for the replies guys, order going in today :slight_smile:

Thanks, Mgz

I agree that the FAQ information is inaccurate and misleading. I wasted a lot of time looking through the FAQ for these names. I was aware of the information you reported, but couldn’t remember the names. It isn’t easy to find it in a search. Unless you know to search for Winbond or ST Microelectronics you probably won’t find it. And if you already know these names, you don’t need the search.

Right,i’m not the one who find it. I learn it from here :slight_smile:

Because

Club CD Freaks - Knowledge is Power
:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: