DualDisc CD-DVD combo starts running into compatibility issues

vbimport

I just posted the article DualDisc CD-DVD combo starts running into compatibility issues.

As the  RIAA is anxious to replace the CD with DualDisc in an aim to bring  consumers back into the shops,                       the DualDisc is  starting to run into compatibility issues with...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10301-DualDisc-CD-DVD-combo-starts-running-into-compatibility-issues.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10301-DualDisc-CD-DVD-combo-starts-running-into-compatibility-issues.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Well, dont forget you are dealing with the music industry here. What if you and your friend chip in and you, say, keep the CD and your mean fella gets hold of the DVD part which he burns and copies and multiplies and tracks to the internet community. Hundreds of billions of bucks in estimated damages… That scares all shite out of the greedy bastards. Cheers.

I just noticed this while trying to purchase the newest Ben Folds CD… I could only find a DualDisc version. I was under the impression DualDisc was only a Sony thing… disappointing to find out it’s with everyone else as well.

Pioneer dont recomend dual-discs because they can damage the player.

I just burn both sides to blank media and use those instead, no compatability issue then assuming they don’t copy protect the CD and DVD sides.

…and no problem if they do :g

If a compatibility issue is large enough to be noticed, then manufacturers of equipment will naturally have an incentive to make their “CD players” DVD compatible. Frankly that is overdue already.

As I said, it’s non-standard. Drop the CRAP back in the commode where it belongs. Period.

Well if your in it for the 5.1 mix of the album (like on NIN excellent dual discer) then your screwed on trying to copy it since dvd-a is still not hacked.

Untrue. Pioneer said that until they learn what DualDiscs are, they don’t know if they’ll play safely in Pioneer products. Their statement from November 2004: “[Pioneer suggests] consumers not use ‘DualDisc’ products with any Pioneer products, including CD players, DVD players and recorders, and computer drives until Pioneer has an opportunity to test them. At this point in time, Pioneer does not know whether Pioneer products can safely handle these new hybrid discs, or whether these discs may damage your Pioneer products.” Maybe they should update their statement now that it’s May 2005.

"Well if your in it for the 5.1 mix of the album (like on NIN excellent dual discer) then your screwed on trying to copy it since dvd-a is still not hacked. " Rubbish - long since done.

“Maybe they should update their statement now that it’s May 2005.” No. Maybe the RIAA should learn to play by the rules.

The most annoying thing about DualDiscs is the thin polycarbonate on them, making them scratch with barely any effort. I’ve had to take my copy of With Teeth out of my CD wallet as just removing and reinserting the disc has caused it to look like it’s been sandpapered. :frowning: