DualDisc: Can added content help curb piracy?

vbimport

I just posted the article DualDisc: Can added content help curb piracy?.

While  some of the labels plod along with their tiresome copyright lawsuits,  bludgeoning a fraction of a percent of the public, others are taking a  more proactive approach. There are a...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10023-DualDisc-Can-added-content-help-curb-piracy.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10023-DualDisc-Can-added-content-help-curb-piracy.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I have tired dualdisc and I think they are a great idea. One side had 2 music videos and a 5.1 surround sound mix of the cd and the other side was a plain old cd. I didnt have any problems playing it and I wish more cds were releases this way.

A bit thicker than a normal cd? So it’s likely I won’t be able to play them in my car, at least not without them getting scratched, eh? I think they should just include a second disc. It would probably be cheaper anyway since they wouldn’t have to create a new manufacturing process. Personally, I bought the 5.1 version of the Flaming Lips’ “Yoshimi” even though I already owned the normal version. If a cd is quality I’ll buy it, but you won’t see me buying a load of crap just because there’s a bigger helping of it. That’s something the major labels have yet to figure out.

i like the idea of having the music videos from the albulm on the disk, i would actually buy these profiding the dvd portion does not get scratched in my car radio, or vice versa,but wait, there is that new sratch proof stuffi have seen on tv preventing disks from getting scratcheson it, i think wehavean idea there, hint

I bought the new Judas Priest-Angel Of Retribution dual disc. I saw Circuit City and Best Buy had it for 12.99 US the first week. While in my local record store buying a used CD I asked how much it was. Dual disc was 16 dollars and a deluxe version with CD and DVD (2 discs) plus a booklet was 22 dollars. Guess this is why the local record stores all go out of business! While walking through Meier I found the dual disc for 9.88 dollars. Guess where I bought it!!! The back of the case has FBI piracy warning and a notice that the CD side may not play in all players or computers and it doesn’t. Two of the three drives in my computer just spin the disc forever, but my boombox and handheld cd/mp3 player play it fine. DVD side has the 5.1 version of the album plus a 29 minute 2004 concert/interview montage. DVD side is already marred by several scratches just from spinning in the boombox so I backed up each side to the appropriate blank media. I never would have bought a NEW album from a store without the dual disc bonus as I have boycotted the RIAA for about 5 years. Its not a bad JP offering either, a little weak but it grows on you.:slight_smile: