Dual sided/layered dvd recorder

vbimport

Hi All,
I'm looking into upgrading my Plextor dvd burner. I'm looking for a dvd recorder that can burn either a dual layer or dual sided dvd's. Does anyone know what companies/model numbers of dvd burners that can do this.
Thanks....
Greg

any dvd burner can burn dual-sided dvds (they’re just regular dvds that u can burn on both sides). dual-layered burners aren’t out yet.

Actually, with a new firmware version, the Pioneer A06 can do this. This firmware hasn’t been released yet and perhaps that’s just good, as it might still be buggy etc…

For now, DVDR9 is not an option (yet), as the standards haven’t reached the market… some patience is required :wink:

…no standards yet… and when they are released we can wait a long time for decent media probably… :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]Actually, with a new firmware version, the Pioneer A06 can do this. This firmware hasn’t been released yet and perhaps that’s just good, as it might still be buggy etc…

For now, DVDR9 is not an option (yet), as the standards haven’t reached the market… some patience is required :wink: [/B]

i’m not sure the public would ever see that firmware revision. even if they could get it working properly for all a06/106 drives, for pioneer to release it would cost them (and other manufacturers) a lot of lost sales.

Originally posted by AZImmortal
i’m not sure the public would ever see that firmware revision. even if they could get it working properly for all a06/106 drives, for pioneer to release it would cost them (and other manufacturers) a lot of lost sales.

Oh for sure… although it’d really be a cool act if they did release it, they probably won’t do this, as it’d cost them quite some money. The only good thing that’d be in Pioneer for that, is a probable boost of the popularity of the -R type…

i just saw this on the doom9 news page:

German computer mag c’t recently reported in their print editing that the dual layer DVD-R burner shown at CES was in fact not an A06 with only a firmware upgrade, but that the hardware was modified as well. And Pioneer said that neither the A06 nor A07 could be upgraded to dual layer burning capabilities and that only the A09, due for Christmas 2004 would add dual layer DVD-R support, at 1x speed.

So even the A08 (12x or 16x) burner will not burn dual layer DVD’s … to bad, well just have to wait for Christmas then!!

Namoh waits for the guys who are gonna complain about the 1x dual layer writing speed!! :wink:

Sony has announced somewhere that they will release their dual layer + format burner in march 2004.

So not long to wait at all (I hope)

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
Oh for sure… although it’d really be a cool act if they did release it, they probably won’t do this, as it’d cost them quite some money. The only good thing that’d be in Pioneer for that, is a probable boost of the popularity of the -R type…

I don’t think it would be a bad move for pioneer to release this firmware. It will make all the current customers extremely happy and in order that they don’t loose a lot of money the new writers with dual burning capabilities will be faster, given incentive for people who already own an a06/106 to go out and buy a faster model. Whilst first time buyers will opt for the latest and greatest.

I think it would be very profitable for pioneer to try such a venture. Personally i would love to buy a faster drive, 4x aint that fast anymore and would be willing to pay for it.

Maybe others agree/disagree?

i disagree, although the point is moot (read my last post).

if the flash was possible, i don’t know of many ppl who would pay several hundred dollars more for a real dual-layered burner instead of buying the a06 (or staying with their a06) and flashing it. in the management world, we’d call this “cannibalizing ur business,” where u do something to eat into ur own profits and sales. there would be little speed benefit to buying the a09 as its DVD-R9 recording speed is only 1x anyway, and even 16x DVD+/-R burning would take about 5 min, not that much faster than current burning at 8x.

Crap. I was kinda hoping that the A06 would support dual layer in the future, oh well.