Dual Processors

vbimport

Ok is there anyone out there that can explain to me, if it is possible, to have two 1.8 ghz cpus, on a motherboard? Dual processing is it that? I read somewhere motherboards with dual processors only use xeon chips from intel, can you buy or is there a motherboard out there that can use those p4 1.8ghz cpus. Also what if any are the benefits using dual processing. I know about servers, but is there anything else.

About your first question: no you can’t put two P4 cpu’s on one motherboard. For P3, there were some dual cpu motherboards. P4 is limited to Dual Xeon systems.

Dual CPU benefits used to be limited to server purposes only, because the average desktop OS didn’t support dual cpu (your dual cpu desktop would actually run slower than a single cpu setup). But nowadays, you can do a lot more with Dual CPU. It’s very popular among video-editors, especially since Adobe Premiere supports dual cpu too.

You can’t run any P4 CPU in dual-CPU mode (this is called SMP). If you go with Intel, you’d need a Xeon CPU. AMD does this with Athlon XP’s (special dual ones and regular ones when using modded BIOS’) and the Opteron.

Where you benefit from a dual CPU config? When using applications that can handle SMP (apps that don’t know about SMP often run slower on SMP systems than on equivalent single CPU systems), running on a SMP cabable OS (that’s either WinNT/2k/XP or Linux for most ppl).

What do you mainly use your system for?

well there is hyperthreading on intel cpus which is a virtual 2nd processor. This allows the system to use the unused parts of your cpu at any point to process a 2nd thread (it is REALLY nice if you use processor intensive applications)

Aside from that you need an SMP compatible operating system. Hyperthreading will work on XP home cause its a virtual processor. As far as i know you need 2000 pro or xp pro to get 2 actual processors.

the reason why some applications are slower on SMP systems is how both processors need to access the memory and synchonize their processes. On hyperthreading processors its physically one processor so this isn’t really a big issue.

Originally posted by LordOberon
the reason why some applications are slower on SMP systems is how both processors need to access the memory and synchonize their processes. On hyperthreading processors its physically one processor so this isn’t really a big issue.

The issue is smaller, but it still remains a fact. Some tests show that it can drain the performance by about 30% (this was in tests and this isn’t likely to happen in practice, though it is possible!).