Dual OS's?

Hi guys, i just reformatted my hard drive recently and ghosted it (thanks to WOMBLE for all the help) but now i realize i have a problem. Whever i reboot my system i get taken to a screen in DOS asking me to shoose what OS to use. This makes no sense to me as i only have Xp installed. The screen gives me two choices

1: Windows XP pro
2: Windows XP pro (original)

I have no idea what is causing this, any help on troubleshooting this one guys?

PS: the only thing that MIGHT be having an effect is this program
“LogonUI & Boot Randomizer” which manages bootscreens and logons for win xp. Hope all your smart people can help me with this one lol.

at a dos prompt if you type fdisk /mbr it will restore the previous boot loader and should work for you provided something weirds not going on. As long as you have only one OS, i dont see how this poses a problem. Just to be safe i would make sure i have my xp cd ready in case something goes wrong.

Also what happens when you select either option, just curious

after selecting either option my computer boots to Xp as normal.

Check the boot.ini file (its hidden by default so enable hidden files) and post its contents here in the thread. It can be easily seen if one of the boot pointer lines can be deleted.

Originally posted by xtacydima
Check the boot.ini file (its hidden by default so enable hidden files) and post its contents here in the thread. It can be easily seen if one of the boot pointer lines can be deleted.

Indeed, this fily can be edited by using the msconfig utility (hit start -> run -> msconfig)!

well i dont know if this was bad or not and i hope i dont come to regret it later but what i did was open the boot.ini file then change the timer to 1 second, and since the operating system i wanted was the one on top anyways, when my pc reboots it bypasses that screen where it asks me to choose my operating system. Im assuming that the 1 second goes by and the default os (one on top that i want) is chosen because my xp loads just fine with my modified boot screens. any negative effects you guys think from doing that?

heres what boot.ini looks like (after i changed timer settings, it was at 30)

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=“Microsoft Windows XP Professional” /fastdetect /KERNEL=kernel1.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=“Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Original)” /fastdetect

if they both boot, then you can remove either of the lines at the bottom.