Dual layer writing

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony DRU-810A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Help! i have been trying to burn dual layer DVD movies for the last 2 months but with no success. I have tried using Nero 6, 8 and also DVD decrypter. The result was always a coaster. It never went beyond 50 % of the writing giving out some vague message. I now tried clone DVD , but here too it was the same at 44%. it told me that i should first make it a ISO file or some crap like that. What i do is use dvd decrypter and make a copy of the disc onto my hard disk. I ensure that the drive has atleast 20 GB free space. Even then it is of no use. Then i use clonedvd to write it.

Can anyone tell me where i am going wrong. I have attached the log file this time. I am a novice. However i have burnt 4.5 GB movies in single layer mode always successfully. Its just that the DL is provin to be such a pain.

Try using Imgburn ( its Free ) for Dual Layer disc and use only Verbatim DL Disc for best results.

Which brand of DL media are you using? Verbatim is the only widely available DL media which is consistent enough for us to recommend.

Here in India, you get only Moser Baer’s Dual Layer, Imation and then some other obscure brands such as melody.I have tried with all three and its always a coaster. I will search and see if i can find verbatim DL discs. Are ther any settings you have to do before you burn a DL on the Sony writer? I have a Sony DRU-810A. Is it a problem dual layer writer?

You could take a look in my signature & see if there is something there that will help you.

[QUOTE=premdio;2306372][qanda]This thread is about the Sony DRU-810A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Help! i have been trying to burn dual layer DVD movies for the last 2 months but with no success. I have tried using Nero 6, 8 and also DVD decrypter. The result was always a coaster. It never went beyond 50 % of the writing giving out some vague message. I now tried clone DVD , but here too it was the same at 44%. it told me that i should first make it a ISO file or some crap like that. What i do is use dvd decrypter and make a copy of the disc onto my hard disk. I ensure that the drive has atleast 20 GB free space. Even then it is of no use. Then i use clonedvd to write it.

Can anyone tell me where i am going wrong. I have attached the log file this time. I am a novice. However i have burnt 4.5 GB movies in single layer mode always successfully. Its just that the DL is provin to be such a pain.[/QUOTE]

It does sounds like the MOD says something to do with your media choices. But I would also say exactly or posting a screen shot of the error would go along way to help diagnosis the problem. When you say you burned the movie do you check the original dvd movie to play itself to see if it works properly???

That Sony 810 is an old burner, the first Sony that would burn D/L media and that was Verbatim 2.4X MIS. I doubt that it has the firmware to burn any of the newer D/L or 16X S/L media.