Dual layer write fault

vbimport

I bought a SH-203N after I read the review here, because it seemed like the perfect writer. However, it doesn’t behave like it’s supposed to when I burn DVD+R DL discs at 8x.
I have tried XP32, Vista32 and Vista64. I burned with Nero8 and ImgBurn, but no matter which brand of DL discs I buy, the moment I burn @6x everything goes fine, but when I burn @8x (discs are allowed to be burned at 8x according to the label) the turn into coasters. :sad:
Normally you’d think that it’s the quality of the discs, but there seems to be a ‘jump’ in the first layer. It took me a few attempts to get the lighting correct, but I managed to take a picture of that extra ring. Again … this only happens @ 8x.

Any clues anyone?

[QUOTE=smmonk;1994762]I bought a SH-203N after I read the review here, because it seemed like the perfect writer. However, it doesn’t behave like it’s supposed to when I burn DVD+R DL discs at 8x.
I have tried XP32, Vista32 and Vista64. I burned with Nero8 and ImgBurn, but no matter which brand of DL discs I buy, the moment I burn @6x everything goes fine, but when I burn @8x (discs are allowed to be burned at 8x according to the label) the turn into coasters. :sad:
Normally you’d think that it’s the quality of the discs, but there seems to be a ‘jump’ in the first layer. It took me a few attempts to get the lighting correct, but I managed to take a picture of that extra ring. Again … this only happens @ 8x.

[B]Any clues anyone?[/B][/QUOTE]

Which exact media have you bought and used? What is their MID?
[B]The only reliable DL is from Verbatim.[/B]

The only 8x certified I’ve tried so far , is Memorex and A-One (Disc ID: RICOHJPN-D01-67 and RITEK-S04-01). Both have the same problem.
Somehow I’m not confinced that this explains why there’s that ring / jump in the first layer when burning at 8x. I’ve had bad media before, but then the disc would just be unreadable or have too many PF errors and peaks for normal playback.
I know that Verbatim is the best choice by far (especially for DL), but the 8x or faster are just too difficult to get here (I live in Malta at the moment) and definately too expensive compared to the others. Paying 3 times the price for burning at 8x in stead of 6x is just nuts.

[QUOTE=smmonk;1995322]The only 8x certified I’ve tried so far , is Memorex and A-One (Disc ID: RICOHJPN-D01-67 and RITEK-S04-01). Both have the same problem.
[B]Somehow I’m not confinced that this explains why there’s that ring / jump in the first layer when burning at 8x.[/B] I’ve had bad media before, but then the disc would just be unreadable or have too many PF errors and peaks for normal playback.
I know that Verbatim is the best choice by far (especially for DL), but the 8x or faster are just too difficult to get here (I live in Malta at the moment) and definately too expensive compared to the others. Paying 3 times the price for burning at 8x in stead of 6x is just nuts.[/QUOTE]

What content have you burned to that disc?
2.4x DL media from Verbatim can be burnt up to 8x also.

I’m real sorry that I haven’t responded earlier. I was called in to work abroad and they put me in a hotel where internet was 15 euro per block of 2 hours :Z

Anyway, I normally make a copy of my DVD’s to take them with me for just in case the originals get either lost or damaged (that still happens too often). And I was always opposed to burn ‘overspeed’ because of the quality loss. But after checking the thread with scans, I think burning Verbatims 2.4x @ 6x is perhaps even better than other brands at their certified 6x or 8x. Unfortunately I still have another 50 in stock.

I saw that there was an update for ImgBurn (now V2.4.0.0). And now it says that it’s doing an optimum power calibration or so … and surprise surprise … the first 2 were burned succesfully at 8x. However, after seing the speed drop to 7x every now and then, I stick to 6x anyway.

Could it be the burner / media combo?

[QUOTE=smmonk;2002744]I saw that there was an update for ImgBurn (now V2.4.0.0). [B]And now it says that it’s doing an optimum power calibration or so … and surprise surprise …[/B] the first 2 were burned succesfully at 8x. However, after seing the speed drop to 7x every now and then, I stick to 6x anyway.

Could it be the burner / media combo?[/QUOTE]

You can check in the log and settings if OPC is enabled or not.
I disabled it for my drives.

Those RICOHJPN-D01-67 seem to always cause problems as the quality is so variable, even if they say write at 8x i wouldn’t recommend it about 4x / 6x is the fastest i usually burn these. Also dont store reliable data on these RICOHJPN-D01-67 discs as im not sure how long the data will stay, the first layer is usually good but the 2nd layer is usually poorly burnt on most burners.

Well, thanks for your response guys. I think I’ll just finish these and switch back to Verbatim 2.4x. Since the scans @ 6x/8x look at least just as good, it seems the better choice.

Cheers

I actually thought I finished this question by just accepting the low quality of the discs.
However, the last couple of days I’ve been getting al kinds of failures. Disc read/write errors, Vista blue screens (?), boot sector gone … I was really disappointed in my system.
But after one succesful recovery I decided to have a look for a newer BIOS and see if this would help. Apparently it did. And now I can actually write these discs @ 8x no problem :iagree: … same batch btw.
Could this really have been a reason for these failures or is it just coincidence?

[QUOTE=smmonk;2009388]
Could this really have been a reason for these failures or is it just coincidence?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the mobo and its BIOS is the soul of your system.
Scan those DLs now for quality using nero cd dvd speed…

I’ve been trying a few days now to make scans. I cannot get my 203N to do it and my laptop is about to retire and doesn’t even read non original DVD’s. So I’ve been looking around if I could scan them at a friends house, but unfortunately … no. So until I can, I’d have to owe you the scan.
And I knew my BIOS contains the instructions how the computer has to operate, but I never knew that this was a big deal for dvd-burning as well. I always thought that the instructions were given to the burner and that the drive would take care of the rest.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/1803665-post.html