Dual layer help for newb (firmware, layer break, etc)

I just ordered a 20 pk of Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x-8x from newegg. This will be my first foray into dual layer media, and I’d like to avoid making expensive coasters. I have the NEC 3520A w/ the 1.04 fw.

Can anyone give me some advice on the steps I need to take to ensure good burns from the beginning? Is there any kind of tutorial?

I’m guessing that I first need to get the proper firmware. I really don’t care about having the fastest speed, but I do want the best quality. I usually use TY-02 for single layer discs, and this will be my first dl attempt. I don’t remember what kind of CD-R’s I use. Which firmware will give me the best results? Here is a link to the various firwares for this drive, but I have no idea which one to use, or if I should just stay w/ 1.04.
http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/stratinfo/3/0

Once I get the right firmware I’m guessing the next hurdle will be the layer break. I’ve never done this, so I’m not sure exactly what i need to do. I have and am familiar with dvd decrypter, shrink, anydvd, nero, and others. I just downloaded imgburn 2.0, but have never used it. Can anybody step me through what I need to do to get this right?

Thanks.

I just downloaded 3.05 fw from NEC. Should I use this fw or stay with 1.04, or use a modified one?

Actual firmware for your drive is version 3.07
You can download from NEC http://www.de.nec.de/softwareoverview2.php/id/1333

Thanks. I just downloaded it. Is there any advantage going to the new firmware? Will it help out with the handling of the dl media I just purchased?

Go to the top of Forum page and click on Liggy and Dee’s binflash and firmware. Just scroll down until you find Binflash link and click on that, then scroll down until you find firmware link, then look for your burner, then click on that and choose Dee’s firmware. That should give you more media choices and if its like her 1Y6, you will be able to burn DL media with no problem. The layer breaks on its own.

I’d like to stay with NEC’s official fw for now if I can. It seems like the only benefit I know of (please correct my naivety) is that I can use bitsetting on +R and +RW media which I never use. I will be using Verbatim +R DL which I believe the NEC 3.07 fw will do bitsetting on. This will be my 1st time using bitsetting. The only thing I know about it is that you should use it for DL media, and I know DVD Shrink has a booktype setting which I’ve never had to use. I’m assuming that booktype and bitsetting are similar (again please correct my ignorance). Anyway…will I be ok with the NEC 3.07 fw with the media I’ve bought, or should I go w/ Dee’s?

The layer breaks on its own? I’ve already copied the disc in question to my hard drive using just DVD decrypter without any problems. I’m just waiting on the DL discs to arrive sometime next week, and then I will try to burn. Should I just use ImgBurn 2.0 to burn? Will it take care of everything for me as far as the layer break?

I for one needed Dee’s firmware because of the media that I had, all I did was put the disc in and burnt it from my hard drive with DVDShrink and Nero 6.6.0.18, thats all it took. No special tricks, very straight forward.

I had good luck burning Verbatim +R DL at 4x on my 3520 (now retired).