Dual layer/format DVD recorders?

Do they exist yet? If not, how soon will they be released into the mainstream market?

I am looking for a DVD recorder that can make a duplicate of a DVD-9 disc without having to convert it to DVD-5 and lose some quality…

Tyro,

I wouldn’t hold my breath for these products if I were you … !

The specifications were only recently released, and from what I’ve heard, these specifications aren’t even 100% complete, so before you’ll see products out in the market to support this standard, we’re at least 6 months to a year further. And then I’m talking about the drives, not to mention the media, which usually takes even longer (seen any 8X media yet ?).

Marco
BTC Europe Support

Either Philips or Pioneer announced their dual layer writer to be released somewhere near the summer of 2004. So if you can have such a drive by next septemter, I think you can be pleased with it!

@Marco: 8x media just started entering the market (haven’t seen any of them yet, only read this), but Plextor’s 708A can burn 8x on 4x +R discs (with a fairly good quality, depending on the used media) so it shouldn’t be too much of a problem I guess…

Ah, I guess then the LDW-411S doesn’t look like such a bad option in the meantime :slight_smile:

A dual layer drive may be out by summer 2004…but it will probably cost something like 200-300 euros. So by the time its price becomes reasonable, it would be more like beginning 2005…right?

Is it possible to use data compression to get the same quality in a smaller disc, or is the data that you usually find in a DVD compressed already (so no point trying to compress it)?

Is it possible to use data compression to get the same quality in a smaller disc, or is the data that you usually find in a DVD compressed already (so no point trying to compress it

What are you wanting to burn to a DVD that takes more than 4.4GB? Most movies will fit just fine with no loss of quality.

I have asked a dozen of questions to both the Alliance and Pioneer. I will post an article with more information hopefully on the end of next week. While the Alliance provided pretty quick answers, I’m already waiting for more then 3 weeks for the answer of Pioneer, but I have been promised yesterday the answers should be available soon :wink:

I just shudder when I think of the spector of mass-produced dual-layer recordable media. They can’t even get single-layer right. :rolleyes:

> While the Alliance provided pretty quick
> answers, I’m already waiting for more then 3
> weeks for the answer of Pioneer, but I have
> been promised yesterday the answers should
> be available soon

Why am I not surprised ? :slight_smile:

Originally posted by DoMiN8ToR
I have asked a dozen of questions to both the Alliance and Pioneer. I will post an article with more information hopefully on the end of next week. While the Alliance provided pretty quick answers, I’m already waiting for more then 3 weeks for the answer of Pioneer, but I have been promised yesterday the answers should be available soon :wink:

Sounds very good!

Originally posted by rdgrimes
What are you wanting to burn to a DVD that takes more than 4.4GB? Most movies will fit just fine with no loss of quality.

I was reading this article and the paragraph below prompted my curiosity…

If your DVD source is under 4.38 GB (so called DVD-5), you can make an exact copy of the DVD.
But if your DVD source is over 4.38 GB(so called DVD-9), you have to reconvert it to fit on one recordable DVD-5 which means that you will lose some video quality. (Because it doesn’t exists any recordable DVD-9 media.)

Originally posted by Tyro
I was reading this article and the paragraph below prompted my curiosity…

Quality is subjective. :wink:

There are various ways to make Dual-Layer (DVD-9) DVD-Video titles to fit into standard Single-Layer (DVD-5) DVD recordable media.

Depends on the movie. I’ve squished a number of 2.5-3 hr movies on one DVD with NO visable loss of quality. And when it does act up, it’s not really lower quality but picture breakup that’s the problem. And most time, i only have to drop one DD audio track to make it all fit.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Depends on the movie. I’ve squished a number of 2.5-3 hr movies on one DVD with NO visable loss of quality. And when it does act up, it’s not really lower quality but picture breakup that’s the problem. And most time, i only have to drop one DD audio track to make it all fit.

Hi rdgrimes.

Just curios, which program are you using to get that kind of result?


I’ve also read the article on this site about dual layer support from phillips and pioneer.

Phillips sais you need a new burner, and pioneer sais there thinking of a firmware update???

I went to Pioneer’s website, and they are clearly advertising their current A06/106 models with dual layer support.

Im confused.