Dual layer DVD's don't work!

vbimport

WIERD problem - laptop DVD/CD-RW plays SOME DVD’s fine but lots of others don’t work. After much experimentation it seems to be only the LAYER-1 DVD’s that actually work! :sad:

Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it most likely a hardware fault?

So far I have found and updated to the 1.01 firmware, any other links or ideas would be much appreciated!

I attach the ‘nero infotool’ output … basic info=
Drive : MATSHITA UJDA755 DVD/CDRW
Type : Combo Drive
Firmware Version : 1.01
Buffer Size : 2 MB

Cheers!

@ jomtones,

Welcome to the Forum.

With the lack of any pertinent information (DL DVD Media MID used, displayed Error Narratives, Error Codes) your DL Media problem is mostly caused by the use of problematic poor quality DL Media.

It has been passed numerous times throughout the Forum that the only DL Media that consistently produces quality error free results is Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media. ALL other DL Media is considered suspect and should be avoided (not used).

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks bjkg - unfortunately it’s not even anything fancy we’re trying to do - just play plain old DVD movies (or the recovery DVD that came with the laptop, fo example) - films that work fine in our other laptop.

bjkg, what he’s saying is that his drive cannot read dual/double-layer media, not that he burned one and cannot read it. I’m guessing it has to be a problem with your hardware jomtones - probably a fault with detecting DL media. Is this drive old? Cleaning the lens might help, although it’s also possible there might be a bug with the firmware that your drive has right now that causes this. I’m not sure if there were drives made that could not read DL media but if the problem persists it could be one of the two that I’ve mentioned before - but certainly hardware-related (unless you have virtual drives installed in your system, which are also known to screw with physical drives’ capabilities).

You might try using an external drive (if you have one) to read the DL DVD on that specific laptop and see if the problem’s software-related. Otherwise, you might have to wait a bit for other members’ input as I’m all out of things to say. :stuck_out_tongue: :flower: