Dual Layer dvd's available?

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Verbatim_DataLifePlus_94171

size = 9.4 gb…dual layer dvd media already??? and thats verbatim brand

1. Wrong forum. This belongs in the media forum.

2. It’s a typo. There are no dual layer capable DVD writer on the market, why would there be dual layer media?

oh no ?

http://www.verbatim.com/products/products.cfm?pro_id=338

maybe they don’t have them available to the public yet but if they use em on actual movies (for a few years too) then yes they do exist…

and here you can see the same product number in the list as with his link…
http://www.verbatim.com/products/products.cfm?sub_id=26

these in particular aren’t dual layers… but double sided… but im sure SOME manufacturer makes them if companies use them…

Originally posted by Stoner
[B]

1. It’s a typo. There are no dual layer capable DVD writer on the market, why would there be dual layer media? [/B]

this is simply not true. There are SOME dvd-writers which CAN write dual layer- dvd with the proper (read: not yet available) firmware.

What are you two? Wise guys? The guy’s asking for dual layer DVD media that’s available for the general public and here you are talking about shit that’s not obtainable. How’s that different from telling people they can buy time machines from Wal-Mart… but not in your freaking life time

Post #3: If it’s available to the general public, wouldn’t you think all the freaks on this forum would have one by now?

Post #4: Some doesn’t mean all. Just like some DVD stand alone support DVD-R doesn’t mean all.

There are SOME dvd-writers which CAN write dual layer- dvd with the proper (read: not yet available) firmware.

Well, do you have one? No? Then know your role and shut your mouth.

Originally posted by BerinG
maybe they don’t have them available to the public yet but if they use em on actual movies (for a few years too) then yes they do exist…

Commercial (dual-layer) DVD’s are pressed, not burned.
It is a typo.

Originally posted by Stoner
[B]What are you two? Wise guys? The guy’s asking for dual layer DVD media that’s available for the general public and here you are talking about shit that’s not obtainable. How’s that different from telling people they can buy time machines from Wal-Mart… but not in your freaking life time

Post #3: If it’s available to the general public, wouldn’t you think all the freaks on this forum would have one by now?

Post #4: Some doesn’t mean all. Just like some DVD stand alone support DVD-R doesn’t mean all.

Well, do you have one? No? Then know your role and shut your mouth.

. [/B]

lol, im not gonna argue with you…

Ok… I was wrong about commercial dvds, but still… I didn’t see on the webpage anywhere where it says they are dual layers… it just says they are 9.4gb … and on verbatim’s website, they do have them listed too… as double sided

I DID say that these WEREN’T dual layers but double sided… which is much different…

but about the commercial ones, I just guessed that since they existed for reading, there mustve been someone who made em… didn’t know they were pressed… although doesn’t make a difference in the original thread question :wink:

Phillips have made a dvd writer capable of burning duel layer disks,when it appears on the market remains to be seen!

DataLifePlus 9.4GB Double-Sided 1x/2x Speed DVD-R for General 50-pack Spindle
Product Number : 94171 Capacity/Surface : 9.4GB/N/A

Well- that’s what it sez… Yet the related “sales copy” talks about their product line being 3.95 gb (dvd ram) and 4.7 gb.

So here’s what I can add: ( I work at a biz which imports media from Taiwan & China, besides general computer parts & modding parts)

1. Prodisc told us some time ago about this new media format & it is not a big technology leap to crate them. Not simple either, but do-able.

2. While prodisc has not announced to us that they have these media for delivery, it can’t be too far away from what we learned before. So it is possible that Verbatim is annoucning a product which is coming soon.

3. I doubt that any special firmware will be needed to burn these as they are Double SIDED.

That’s the reason all the media mfger’s want to do this now, as blue laser & other high density DVD formats requires totally new equipment & everyone is just starting to buy DVD burners for current media.

Thus most likely all you do is turn the media over to burn the other side. Your burner just thinks it’s another blank media. Meaning you don’t get 9GB+ in one chunk, but as if you have 2 media. …no doubt someone will come up with software to deal with this sooner or l8r - to make them act as if they are one file - But ONLY when/if there are readers which can read both sides without the media being flipped over.

1. I’ll report back, as my boss is contacting Verbatim about these, if they are available, we’re ordering them.

===

Re: the comment about pressed DVD’s & double sided=-> that’s totally unrelated technology as far as construciton. The format of what’s on them is DVD, but the disks are totally different. Kind of like a gas engine & diesel engine. they do the same thing for your car, but work in very different ways internally.

– re comment about dual layer phillips _that’s not happening for a long time m8… dual layer & dual sided are totally different beasts.

When dual layer burners come out, (if ever) they will be on blue laser technology ( a much shorter wavelength, allowing more density)

Hi Henry your information sounds very intresting, I would like to get in contact with you, could you send me an email at jw[no spam]@cdfreaks.com ?

at your service
email sent …

eh didnt mean to cause any arguements guys! I just thought it would be cool to post a link about some cool looking media :bigsmile: