Dual Layer Disks and Firmware

vbimport

Hello all

From all that i have read there is no way for someone to put a 7GB movie on a 4.7GB disk unless they either split the movie or if they re-encode it to a lesser image quality.

But HOW are those pirated DVD’s from like Hong Kong and Russia are able to have 7GB movies on their disks?

Also, do you think it’s possible that a 411s/811s can recive a firmware upgrade that will let it write dual layer disks?

They are pressed, I suppose, not burned.

Nothing is impossible, but it is highly unlikely we’ll see dual-layer burns on a 411S/811S.

Pioneer reportedly demo’d an A06 burning dual-layer with nothing but a firmware update at CES, but no details were released. Despite a lot of speculation, they did not say they would release any such firmware upgrade for existing models.

The industry pattern has been to release faster drives with new features as new models with a higher pricetag. Sometimes creative hackers are able to reverse-engineer firmware updates, but in this case most people think the lasers in current drives aren’t up to the task.

And about one week ago, Pioneer did admit that not only the firmware was different from consumer version. So … forget about it !

Where did Pioneer admit that the 106D that wrote dual layer was not only different in the firmware?

Is there a site?

So, can we assume that the 106D cant be firmware upgraded to write dual layers?

Originally posted by diane258
[B]Hello all

From all that i have read there is no way for someone to put a 7GB movie on a 4.7GB disk unless they either split the movie or if they re-encode it to a lesser image quality.

But HOW are those pirated DVD’s from like Hong Kong and Russia are able to have 7GB movies on their disks?

Also, do you think it’s possible that a 411s/811s can recive a firmware upgrade that will let it write dual layer disks? [/B]

I’ve watched couple of them, I think they’re re-encode. You can see some movies are not clear and some have really bad sounds. And most of em don’t have extra feature. I guess it depends on the movie length. If they’re not that long and the compression is above 75%, you won’t notice much different.

rd.

How about a roundup of theses dual layer threads… Ppl keep on creating new ones. When some of the questions have already been asked and answered. Can any mod do this (if it is not too complicated).
Please search the forum for info before submitting new threads
:slight_smile:

Originally posted by ahgc
How about a roundup of theses dual layer threads… Ppl keep on creating new ones. When some of the questions have already been asked and answered. Can any mod do this (if it is not too complicated).
Please search the forum for info before submitting new threads
:slight_smile:

If there is one thing I’ve learned here is that people ask the same questions over and over and over again. :frowning:
That’s why I made the LiteOn tools collection actually. :smiley:

Originally posted by Ssseth
That’s why I made the LiteOn tools collection actually. :smiley:

Your tool collection is GREAT.

Thanx once again Ssseth :smiley:

Originally posted by Serpeant
[B]Where did Pioneer admit that the 106D that wrote dual layer was not only different in the firmware?

Is there a site?

So, can we assume that the 106D cant be firmware upgraded to write dual layers? [/B]

Pioneer has spoken that firmware is not enough to change regular 106D into dual-layer recorder. It was only one demo drive on CES in Las Vegas but to release offical FW for all exisiting drives and fully support it it’s totally different case. And they officially stated that to support dual-layer reording on 106D FW is not enough. That’s all.

So it’s not impossible but not supported (unstable, buggy, not so much laser power etc.).