Dual Layer Disk Problems?

I’ve tried two different types of disks, the last one being Memorex DVD+R DL, and I’m having problems. The movies I record play well until about the middle; then they flake out. They begin skipping and freezing. I have two writers on my system, a Sony DRU-720A and an NEC ND 3500AG.

My software is DVD Fab (latest version) and the firmware on the above writers is also the latest.

Writing to single layer is no problem, but I’m clueless as to question the writers, DVD Fab or the media. I’m sure someone here has had, or heard of, similar problems and can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Problems relating to DL media is a very common complaint around here. If you’ll go through some of those threads, you’ll notice we have one basic reply…use Verbatim DL media. The Verbatim DL +R disks are the only ones reliable enough for us to recommend.

With older drives like yours, I’d also recommend getting the slower speed Verbatim DL. It is rated at 2.4x-6x, versus the newer variety which is 8x. You can find them online at sites like rima.com or supermediastore.com. Local shops that might have them include Best Buy and Office Max. (these are all US based…if you are located elsewhere please let us know)

Problems at the layer break (middle of the movie) are common. I suggest burning to DL disks with ImgBurn. It will set the layer break correctly. Burn the 2.4x Verbatim DL disks at either 2.4x or 4x. I have had excellent results burning them at 4x.

@ Cold Steel,

It rather ironic that you are using Memorex Branded DL Media because in your CDFreaks 13 April 09 posting you informed another Forum Member to “stay away from this stuff. It’s junk”.

It is a well document fact that Memorex Branded DL Media is problematic poor quality Media. A quick Google Search (http://www.google.com) will confirm this fact.

As Forum Member Kerry56 states it has been passed numerous times throughout the Forum that the only DL Media that consistently produces quality error free results is Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM0003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media. All other DL Media is considered suspect and should be avoided (not used).

Regards,
bjkg

Look deep into my signature & follow the advice given above.

Thanks very much.

I’ve been using computers since the early 80s, when I had a Zorba CP/M, and so I’ve seen a lot. It’s still astounding to me that following all the problems associated with first burning CDs (media, writers, standards, etc.) that today there is still the same trouble. These international companies are still making products that absolutely suck. It appears that the same corporate mentalities that saw these same errors over so many years are still tolerating them.

So what do do with my remaining stock? Are they any good for data files or do they exhibit the same problems there? If I can use these WinData and Memorex disks for photos and other projects, well, okay. But if they’re pre-burned coasters, then what?

1. Can I buy a burner that [I]will[/I] burn to these disks? Burners are cheap and a burner that will work might be worth the investment.

2. Should the Verbatim disks be all I’ll need, or do you think I’ll also need a new burning engine like Image Express?

3. DVD Fab seems to be a good DVD burner, but is it possible this program has anything to do with anything? The coasters really started popping out when I asked DVD Fab to verify the writes.

4. If I use the faster Verbatim disks and slow down the writing, will that work?

Again, thanks. I’ll order the Verbatim and stop screwing around.

Cheers,

John

P.S. Thanks for the info, Beef. I’ll read your recommended posts!

[QUOTE=bjkg;2305501]It rather ironic that you are using Memorex Branded DL Media because in your CDFreaks 13 April 09 posting you informed another Forum Member to “stay away from this stuff. It’s junk”.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for reminding me. I found the Memorex DVDs in my closet and had completely forgotten (I’ve been trying a number of different brands lately). So many people are recommending the Verbatim brand that I’ll stick with that. It does make me wonder why Memorex and other companies would approve and release products that didn’t work. As I said (above), this was precisely the kind of stuff everyone was dealing with back when getting a 2x copy of a CD was such a remarkable achievement. People recommended back then that you write them at 1x, don’t have any other programs running in the background…even tutorials telling you how to boot up into a version of DOS/Windows with no other programs running. It was quite a feat to produce one good working CD! Oh, the memories! Memorex was always good for bringing back memories, especially bad ones…

I just finished Beef’s excellent tutorial. For a long time, I used nothing but DVD Shrink 3.2 and Roxio DVD Creator. I’d write the videos to DVDs using the Data Mode and they played fine. Haven’t tried using it to write DL videos, so I may do that since I still have plenty of other blank disks.

If I were more conspiratorially minded, I’d think that Memorex was colluding with…nah…I don’t even want to go there.

All I do for Dual Layer (nowadays), is rip to my hard drive with DvdFab, then I call up ImgBurn to burn the AUDIO/VIDEO_TS output, using Build Mode. For DL always make sure it says DVD9 in the bottom left hand corner of DvdFab. Good luck.

@ Cold Steel,

The WinData and Memorex DL Media you are using is known proven well-documented poor quality problematic Media. If you value your Data you will avoid attempting to use this Media. WinData and Memorex DL Media is poor quality problematic Media and purchasing a new DVD Burner is not magically going to transform this garbage Media to quality error free Media.

Unaware of exactly what you are attempting to do but suggest looking at the ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com) software program. This software program is an excellent sable error free software program.

For DL Burning tasks stick with Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM0003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media and you will not encounter any DL Media related issues.

For SL Burning tasks suggest Taiyo Yuden Media. A reliable source of Taiyo Yuden Media is Rima.Com (http://rima.com). In many circles Taiyo Yuden Media is considered Grade A high quality error free Media.

Regards,
bjkg

Well, if I use Verbatim DL, can I use DVD Fab alone or is using Image Burn a necessity? If I can just use better media, then I’ll do that. But if I have to buy the Image Burn software, I’ll do that. I just don’t want to spend more than I have to.

ImgBurn is free. With the drives you have, I would say you are best starting out with Verbatim 2.4X Dvd+R DL, made in Singapore, MKM001.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Thanks. Glad you mentioned it before I bought the fifty dollar one.

Several weeks ago I bought a Memorex DVD player. It was a progressive scan model and worked fine for awhile. Now I just tried to watch a commercial disk and the image is split and in B&W. It’ll open and close, turn on and off, but it’s already crapped out.

I guess it’s a bad omen. I’m not ever going to buy one of their products again, no matter how many glasses they break with their recordings. They do seem to be good at breaking things. DVDs, players, the bank…sigh.